Possible 5th year Transfers at QB | Syracusefan.com

Possible 5th year Transfers at QB

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
If Dungey is unable to return next year, here are some redshirt juniors that are rumored to be exploring a transfer.

Cooper Bateman: Alabama
Cooper Bateman - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Thomas Sirk: Duke
3,248 total offense, and 24 td's as starter for 1 year.
Thomas Sirk - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

J.J. Cosentino: Florida State
J.J. Cosentino - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Brice Ramsey: Georgia
Brice Ramsey - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Kyle Bolin: Louisville
Kyle Bolin - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Shane Morris: Michigan
Shane Morris - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Malik Zaire: Notre Dame
Malik Zaire - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Predicting College Football QBs Who Are Most Likely to Transfer Next

Discuss and debate.

Is it a rule that they can't be in-conference?

If yes, that would rule out the Duke, FSU, Louisville option. I can't imagine Zaire would leave if Kizer goes pro, as everyone expects.

Of the other 3, they all look like Drew Allens. So I wouldn't know how to judge them. 3 guys who've had limited on field experience in their careers. I'd hope we can find someone who has played more.

If yes, that would rule out the Duke, FSU, Louisville option. I can't imagine Zaire would leave if Kizer goes pro, as everyone expects.

Of the other 3, they all look like Drew Allens. So I wouldn't know how to judge them. 3 guys who've had limited on field experience in their careers. I'd hope we can find someone who has played more.
I believe that rule only applies to someone leaving Alabama for another SEC school.;)

Transfer terms | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

I believe that rule only applies to someone leaving Alabama for another SEC school.;)

So you have to figure Louisville and FSU are out, no way they're releasing someone to go to a team they play. Even if they know they have more talent next year.

Duke QB is intriguing. What's his story? Cutcliffe seems like kind of guy who wouldn't get in the way. Plus we don't play them, which helps.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.
A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically
related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship merits a waiver of the normal application of the policy.
a. Exception.
A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

Section VI-2. Intra-Conference Transfer Rule.
A student-athlete who transfers directly to an ACC institution from another ACC institution and who was recruited by the institution from which they are transferring, for whom the athletics department interceded in the admissions process, or who received any athletically related financial aid during the academic year immediately prior to the transfer is required to complete one (1) academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) of residency at the certifying ACC institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive athletically
related financial aid from the certifying institution. Such an academic year of residency shall count as one of the student-athlete’s four (4) permissible seasons of competition permitted under NCAA legislation. During such a year of residency, the student-athlete is permitted to practice pursuant to NCAA eligibility rules regarding practice eligibility. A transfer student-athlete admitted after the twelfth day of class may not utilize that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency. Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship merits a waiver of the normal application of the policy.
a. Exception.
A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply.

I love that you guys think I can read.

I love that you guys think I can read.
Functionally illiterate ....I love it as you would make for a great college coach or gay lover...your choice,if you can read this

Not all of these guys will qualify as grad transfers. Consetino is a red shirt sophomore (though I suppose its possible he will have his degree at the end of this year).

So you have to figure Louisville and FSU are out, no way they're releasing someone to go to a team they play. Even if they know they have more talent next year.

Duke QB is intriguing. What's his story? Cutcliffe seems like kind of guy who wouldn't get in the way. Plus we don't play them, which helps.

Just laughed to myself at the great irony if the first Duke-Syracuse ACC championship game was in football.

NCAA grants sixth year for Duke QB Thomas Sirk

Duke received good news from the NCAA.

The Blue Devils announced Monday that quarterback Thomas Sirk has been granted a
sixth year of eligibility. Sirk has missed the entire season because of an Achilles tendon injury.

“I’m so grateful to have a sixth year to continue my dream of playing college football and, academically, work towards another degree from Duke University,” Sirk said in a statement.

Sirk, the team’s projected starting quarterback, initially injured the Achilles back in February and was nearing a return when he re-aggravated the injury on August 25 during preseason workouts. The injury, a partial tear to his left Achilles tendon, has sidelined him for the entire season. Duke has also lost seniors Jela Duncan, the team’s top running back, and safety DeVon Edwards, an All-American kick returner, to season-ending injuries.

Sirk, a team captain, would have been a fifth-year senior this season. He also missed the 2013 season because of an injury to his right Achilles tendon.

I don't think Sirk is leaving Duke.

If Dungey is unable to return next year, here are some redshirt juniors that are rumored to be exploring a transfer.

Cooper Bateman: Alabama
Cooper Bateman - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Thomas Sirk: Duke
3,248 total offense, and 24 td's as starter for 1 year.
Thomas Sirk - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

J.J. Cosentino: Florida State
J.J. Cosentino - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Brice Ramsey: Georgia
Brice Ramsey - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Kyle Bolin: Louisville
Kyle Bolin - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Shane Morris: Michigan
Shane Morris - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Malik Zaire: Notre Dame
Malik Zaire - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Predicting College Football QBs Who Are Most Likely to Transfer Next

Discuss and debate.

We have Culpepper, DeVito and Mahoney next year, although they would like to redshirt the kid from Jersey. If Dungey goes down, I think that's enough.
We need defensive line and D-backs much more than another QB who would take a year away from the kids they just brought in.

We need a 5th year TE, WR or DB worse. I think between DeVito, Culpepper and Mahoney we are covered.
I would like a DT too. Let Williams redshirt or keep Samuels off the field.

NCAA grants sixth year for Duke QB Thomas Sirk

Duke received good news from the NCAA.

The Blue Devils announced Monday that quarterback Thomas Sirk has been granted a
sixth year of eligibility. Sirk has missed the entire season because of an Achilles tendon injury.

“I’m so grateful to have a sixth year to continue my dream of playing college football and, academically, work towards another degree from Duke University,” Sirk said in a statement.

Sirk, the team’s projected starting quarterback, initially injured the Achilles back in February and was nearing a return when he re-aggravated the injury on August 25 during preseason workouts. The injury, a partial tear to his left Achilles tendon, has sidelined him for the entire season. Duke has also lost seniors Jela Duncan, the team’s top running back, and safety DeVon Edwards, an All-American kick returner, to season-ending injuries.

Sirk, a team captain, would have been a fifth-year senior this season. He also missed the 2013 season because of an injury to his right Achilles tendon.

I don't think Sirk is leaving Duke.
Wow, his Achilles heel is literally his ... Achilles heel.

If this guy transfers here then we will need yet another QB for after he injures his Achilles again.

Zaire and his family have been really unhappy with ND for a while now and it doesn't look good for him returning there.

Notre Dame career done for QB Malik Zaire?

I would much rather see some "good" JUCO or Grad Transfer O linemen instead of a QB. Highly rated Culpepper, who redshirted should be adequate after Dungey and Mahoney. I think Mahoney would have been much better if he wasn't running for his life. No offense to the guys that filled in for the many plagued injured starters.

I mentioned this in another thread, but if Dino keeps reiterating that his system take 1.5 years to implement I would imagine that goes for the QB's in his system as well. With that said, unless these QB's are running the same system (or very close to it) I don't think picking up a 5th yr grad transfer here makes much sense, wouldn't they be to far behind the curve? Maybe one of our coach's on the board could chime in with their thoughts?

I mentioned this in another thread, but if Dino keeps reiterating that his system take 1.5 years to implement I would imagine that goes for the QB's in his system as well. With that said, unless these QB's are running the same system (or very close to it) I don't think picking up a 5th yr grad transfer here makes much sense, wouldn't they be to far behind the curve? Maybe one of our coach's on the board could chime in with their thoughts?

This was my initial thought, too, when I started reading this thread. From that point of view, Culpepper would have a big advantage over any 5th year transfer.

I've been saying this well. It also goes for DeVito playing as a true frosh. Culpepper is way ahead of the curve.