Possible ACC schedule beginning 2013 | Syracusefan.com

Possible ACC schedule beginning 2013

omniorange

All Conference
Assuming we get to go to the ACC in 2013 and that the 9-game ACC schedule will begin that year as well, I see us getting 5 away games in odd years and 5 home games in even years.

In reviewing current ACC schedules this is what I project may occur:

In odd years our home opponents will be Maryland, Clemson, NC State and one of Va/UNC/Duke while our away opponents will be BC, Pitt, FSU, Wake, and one of VT, Miami, GT.

In even years the reverse will be true.

If we continue to have one FCS opponent every year, one huge opponent scheduled away and at MetLife (in even years), and one medium range FBS opponent, that latter game needs to be a crowd pleaser for the locals, imho.

Also, with PSU at MetLife in 2013, if the above proves to be correct, the game at Northwestern could be a casualty.

Cheers,
Neil

If we get 5 away games in odd years, we will again only have 5 home game next year. Hopefully the ACC does us a favor and flips your prediction.

Assuming we get to go to the ACC in 2013 and that the 9-game ACC schedule will begin that year as well, I see us getting 5 away games in odd years and 5 home games in even years.

In reviewing current ACC schedules this is what I project may occur:

In odd years our home opponents will be Maryland, Clemson, NC State and one of Va/UNC/Duke while our away opponents will be BC, Pitt, FSU, Wake, and one of VT, Miami, GT.

In even years the reverse will be true.

If we continue to have one FCS opponent every year, one huge opponent scheduled away and at MetLife (in even years), and one medium range FBS opponent, that latter game needs to be a crowd pleaser for the locals, imho.

Also, with PSU at MetLife in 2013, if the above proves to be correct, the game at Northwestern could be a casualty.

Cheers,
Neil

I can live with that. If we improve, we might even draw a second big name opponent instead of a medium range, or even drop off the FCS opponent.

If we get 5 away games in odd years, we will again only have 5 home game next year. Hopefully the ACC does us a favor and flips your prediction.

I don't think my prediction will be flipped precisely because long-term such a set-up benefits the ACC, especially if the conference sees some of those MetLife games being against the likes of FSU, Miami, and VT. This is why I believe the NW game could be a casualty.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I thought SU was going to keep home conference games in the Dome, do you know whether there is a definitive statement one way or the other?

Also, I can understand Miami which draws a lot of students from the NYC area being played in NYC, but do FSU and VATech really have any fanbase in NYC worth moving a game there?

I don't think my prediction will be flipped precisely because long-term such a set-up benefits the ACC, especially if the conference sees some of those MetLife games being against the likes of FSU, Miami, and VT. This is why I believe the NW game could be a casualty.

Cheers,
Neil

So you think that besides most, if not all, of the biggest OOC games being moved to MetLife that some of those games may also be the biggest conference games? I really hope you are wrong.

So you think that besides most, if not all, of the biggest OOC games being moved to MetLife that some of those games may also be the biggest conference games? I really hope you are wrong.

Not necessarily most or even all, but I think we would be hiding our heads in the sand if we didn't believe part of the attraction of getting SU into the ACC didn't include some of those bigger games being in MetLife (assuming the USC, PSU, and ND games already scheduled aren't busts for MetLife). So, in 2018 the FSU game may be at MetLife but we could still face at home Miami, VT, or GT. Two years later it might be ND at MetLife, meaning the FSU game and either the Miami, VT, or GT game would also be in the Dome.

Also, keep in mind that by the time the unscheduled MetLife games start clicking in as of 2018 the likes of PSU and USC will be further hampered scheduling wise by the BiG/PAC scheduling alliance and in PSU's case the possibility of the BiG going to a 9-game conference schedule. If at that time SU and MetLife still want these games continued, I'd have to believe it is likely that every other one would involve an ACC conference game.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I thought SU was going to keep home conference games in the Dome, do you know whether there is a definitive statement one way or the other?

Also, I can understand Miami which draws a lot of students from the NYC area being played in NYC, but do FSU and VATech really have any fanbase in NYC worth moving a game there?

I think the MetLife games, assuming they do continue into the next decade are going to be limited due to the conference scheduling in the other power conferences, specifically the BiG/PAC scheduling alliance and the distinct possibility that the BiG goes to a 9 game conference schedule (which I understand that PSU is fighting, but the Nits record in terms of getting what they want in that conference is minimal at best).

FSU participated in two Kick-Off Classics at the Meadowlands, one vs Kansas and the other vs A&M. Each game drew over 50K, the first almost 52K and the latter a little over 59K. Miami against Auburn did basically what the FSU/Kansas did. So, yes, I think the FSU game might have some interest by the MetLife folks. VT is an unknown, but they have a reputation for traveling, but that game could be a stretch. SU/GT was also one of those games, but the turnout was bad for that one so I don't see that being one of them.

Cheers,
Neil

Not necessarily most or even all, but I think we would be hiding our heads in the sand if we didn't believe part of the attraction of getting SU into the ACC didn't include some of those bigger games being in MetLife (assuming the USC, PSU, and ND games already scheduled aren't busts for MetLife). So, in 2018 the FSU game may be at MetLife but we could still face at home Miami, VT, or GT. Two years later it might be ND at MetLife, meaning the FSU game and either the Miami, VT, or GT game would also be in the Dome.

Also, keep in mind that by the time the unscheduled MetLife games start clicking in as of 2018 the likes of PSU and USC will be further hampered scheduling wise by the BiG/PAC scheduling alliance and in PSU's case the possibility of the BiG going to a 9-game conference schedule. If at that time SU and MetLife still want these games continued, I'd have to believe it is likely that every other one would involve an ACC conference game.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, that will be nice. :mad: Bet some conference basketball games will be moved too. When I first said that people took me to task, but it will likely happen. Guess we really don't need a Dome since we are no longer Syracuse's team.

Well, that will be nice. :mad: Bet some conference basketball games will be moved too. When I first said that people took me to task, but it will likely happen. Guess we really don't need a Dome since we are no longer Syracuse's team.

The FSU game back in 2004 (which I traveled up to from downstate New York) drew just a little over 40K.

Just saying.

Cheers,
Neil

The FSU game back in 2004 (which I traveled up to from downstate New York) drew just a little over 40K.

Just saying.

Cheers,
Neil

Then we don't need a football program. For a decade SU has put themselves into the position of SU vs the fans and it continues today. They did it themselves. Does basketball draw fans? They'll still move basketball games too. Just saying.

I think the MetLife games, assuming they do continue into the next decade are going to be limited due to the conference scheduling in the other power conferences, specifically the BiG/PAC scheduling alliance and the distinct possibility that the BiG goes to a 9 game conference schedule (which I understand that PSU is fighting, but the Nits record in terms of getting what they want in that conference is minimal at best).

FSU participated in two Kick-Off Classics at the Meadowlands, one vs Kansas and the other vs A&M. Each game drew over 50K, the first almost 52K and the latter a little over 59K. Miami against Auburn did basically what the FSU/Kansas did. So, yes, I think the FSU game might have some interest by the MetLife folks. VT is an unknown, but they have a reputation for traveling, but that game could be a stretch. SU/GT was also one of those games, but the turnout was bad for that one so I don't see that being one of them.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks.

Clemson might be on the mix if they can bring 10K, but again, that remains to be seen. Agree on GT.

One last shot: Do you think a 9-game conference schedule will really affect the Meadowlands scheduling, being that it is high profile and many teams still want the exposure and this will be pre-conference scheduling. LSU, Alabama, PSU, ND, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, TAMU are not afraid of playing big names OOC. Granted, we probably will not see Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and several others, but with the game in September, before the conference games I'm inclined to believe there will be enough big boys who want the exposure/recognition/(and dare I say) strength of schedule. Or are you thinking formulaic scheduling: 1 FCS, 1 BCS bottom feeder, and 1 AQ middle of the pack.

I hope you are wrong. I would rather schedule UConn and St. John's, possibly Georgetown, Louisville or ND, OOC in MSG, than remove Duke or UNC from the Dome.

Then we don't need a football program. For a decade SU has put themselves into the position of SU vs the fans and it continues today. They did it themselves. Does basketball draw fans? They'll still move basketball games too. Just saying.

Then why so upset?

I'm not getting into a discussion on whether or not they will move bb games since it's obvious that the discerning bb fan in the area understands what makes a good opponent and what doesn't. The attendance figures of the respective games demonstrates this aptly enough. But if one wants further evidence, the Iowa game two years after the FSU game drew a little over 37k with about 9-10K fans being from Iowa.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks.

Clemson might be on the mix if they can bring 10K, but again, that remains to be seen. Agree on GT.

One last shot: Do you think a 9-game conference schedule will really affect the Meadowlands scheduling, being that it is high profile and many teams still want the exposure and this will be pre-conference scheduling. LSU, Alabama, PSU, ND, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, TAMU are not afraid of playing big names OOC. Granted, we probably will not see Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and several others, but with the game in September, before the conference games I'm inclined to believe there will be enough big boys who want the exposure/recognition/(and dare I say) strength of schedule. Or are you thinking formulaic scheduling: 1 FCS, 1 BCS bottom feeder, and 1 AQ middle of the pack.

I don't see Clemson in the mix since that game and the Maryland game will be pivotal games for Dome attendance in the odd years.

I'm not sure how many SEC teams have any interest in traveling north. I think USC and UCLA from the Pac have an interest in NYC; from the BiG it would be PSU, Michigan, Nebraska, and maybe Ohio State; and maybe Texas from the Big 12. And like I posted previously, I think the scheduling alliance between the BiG/PAC and should the BiG go to a 9-game conference schedule will hurt the likelihood of attracting these opponents in the future.

Even Texas could be a stretch if the rumored long-term series between them and ND comes about.

Look on the bright side, the initial games against USC, PSU and ND could be busts and the series discontinued.

Cheers,
Neil

Then why so upset?

Cheers,
Neil

Because SU is slowly dismantling the program as Syracuse University for the sake of being NY's team. And attendance IS the problem of SU, not the fans. The Dome used to have plenty large enough crowds and was always a place hated to be played in by the opponents.

Because SU is slowly dismantling the program as Syracuse University for the sake of being NY's team. And attendance IS the problem of SU, not the fans. The Dome used to have plenty large enough crowds and was always a place hated to be played in by the opponents.

And I think anyone who doesn't realize that part of the reason why SU got into the ACC over others is it's attempt to brand itself as NY's team (the state as well as the city, which we know the latter isn't close to being true) is as I said above, burying their head in the sand. Unless one thinks that being the kings of the 5th largest city in New York state and the poorest of those large cities somehow screams power conference team.

Look on the bright side, the initial games against USC, PSU and ND could be busts and the series discontinued.
Cheers,
Neil

And I think anyone who doesn't realize that part of the reason why SU got into the ACC over others is it's attempt to brand itself as NY's team (the state as well as the city, which we know the latter isn't close to being true) is as I said above, burying their head in the sand. Unless one thinks that being the kings of the 5th largest city in New York state and the poorest of those large cities somehow screams power conference team.

Cheers,
Neil

Someone posted a while back some financial numbers which showed why SU and not uconn or rutgers or others were chosen. I believe that was the bigger reason. Is Pitt also playing football and basketball games in the NYC area? No. I am sure the ACC likes getting some exposure in the NYC metro area but I fail to see that as being the driving force of our entry and we were told to enter we had to play every other year in NYC vs a big OOC opponent or a big ACC game.

Someone posted a while back some financial numbers which showed why SU and not uconn or rutgers or others were chosen. I believe that was the bigger reason. Is Pitt also playing football and basketball games in the NYC area? No. I am sure the ACC likes getting some exposure in the NYC metro area but I fail to see that as being the driving force of our entry and we were told to enter we had to play every other year in NYC vs a big OOC opponent or a big ACC game.

Pitt is in a Top 25 market and along with WVU is the only Big East team that gets ratings above the national average for college football broadcasts. Pitt and WVU were wanted as a pair for Big 12 expansion which is why the ACC acted as swiftly as they did.

And the ACC won't make us play games at MetLife, we did that ourselves for $$$ and marketing purposes. If they prove successful, however, and SU wishes to continue them, I'm saying I don't see how they do that without every other one being an ACC game starting in 2018 due to where other conferences are heading in their scheduling.

Cheers,
Neil

And the ACC won't make us play games at MetLife, we did that ourselves for $$$ and marketing purposes.
Cheers,
Neil

Misunderstood your point then. I thought you were implying we signed a 14 game deal with MetLife as a condition of entry into the ACC.

i thought Neil was crazy suggesting SU would move a home conf game to Giants Stadium (i have no idea why you think they will be playing the game at this so called 'metlife stadium'...what is that? the cafeteria on park ave??), but his reasoning made sense.

and bees, i still cannot see any scenario why we would move a home conf game to the Garden. i can see us 'carrying' a down on its luck program like mary or va someday by scheduling a nonleague double header there.

with SU v say gtown in the varsity time slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom