Possible assistant coaches... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Possible assistant coaches...

Agreed. Adam has a terrific reputation among recruits. They all seem to love him. Could see him maybe being a quality control/recruiting type role, potentially?
anything but OL

I understand what you're saying. At the same time, what Babers ran at BG was a very specialized system. And he must trust that these guys can prepare players to excel in that system.

I tend to give HC's a LOT of leeway in how they construct their staffs.

And that's fine. I am different. I tend to judge a coach on how well connected they are to get coaches from outside their latest gigs (especially if that gig is a G5 program and the new one is a P5) and how flexible they are in understanding that all of their previous hires were not golden. Some of them may only be average. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

He drove past the launch pad and ended up at Del Boca Vista.
He just didn't believe Dino when he tried to tell him there were no condos available in all of that complex.

So sounds to me like one of two things - Lea, Adam and Acosta are all being retained for the new staff (which I love from a recruiting perspective because all 3 are good recruiters and cover important territories), or they are being given some sort of incentive to recruit until the Babers' staff is fully available to transition to Syracuse. I would assume since Dino had position groups covered up by multiple guys on both sides of the ball, some of these guys can release to come to us immediately and not coach the bowl game (like Monroe since there are two DB coaches) and some will wait until after the bowl game.

Be interested to see who is officially on board over the next few days.

Lea at LB, Acosta at TE/Recruiting Coordinator, Adam at Secondary if they do stick. You could even have Adam and Acosta as co-recruiting coordinators if you wanted.

Even taking into account that I don't want Adam, not sure how we get all three, especially if both Ward and Sowder come. Won't that leave us with only 1 or 2 spots?

Cheers,
Neil

He just didn't believe Dino when he tried to tell him there were no condos available in all of that complex.
Tell him to check building 4 according to the Boca Breeze :)
MZ7Cm.png

Even taking into account that I don't want Adam, not sure how we get all three, especially if both Ward and Sowder come. Won't that leave us with only 1 or 2 spots?

Cheers,
Neil

Too many rumors right now to figure out the final numbers and who sticks. But one thing I do know - the Lea, Adam, Acosta following on twitter thing is likely not a coincidence.

And that's fine. I am different. I tend to judge a coach on how well connected they are to get coaches from outside their latest gigs (especially if that gig is a G5 program and the new one is a P5) and how flexible they are in understanding that all of their previous hires were not golden. Some of them may only be average. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

So what do you think about Boeheim having a staff of all SU alums? Do you think JB seeks coaches who are the best at coaching, generally speaking, or ones where he trusts their ability to coach his system?

Too many rumors right now to figure out the final numbers and who sticks. But one thing I do know - the Lea, Adam, Acosta following on twitter thing is likely not a coincidence.

Well then god help us if Adam is a coach in any capacity. Don't see why Dino would keep Adam if we have Monroe coming in as a guy who can coach and recruit.

Cheers,
Neil

So what do you think about Boeheim having a staff of all SU alums? Do you think JB seeks coaches who are the best at coaching, generally speaking, or ones where he trusts their ability to coach his system?

Not a fan of that approach either. There is a reason UConn has 4 NCs while we only have 1. And I am not convinced that Hopkins will be anything more than a serviceable HC when he takes over. But that is for another board.

Cheers,
Neil

I see TCU has a similar set-up while Baylor does not. So I guess we'll see.

It's my belief that a HC can get so insulated that they wind up convincing themselves that ALL of their assistant coaches walk on water. Hate it when any new coach is hired and immediately assumes all of their coaches are so good that there couldn't possibly be anyone better for 2 or 3 slots. And no, this doesn't mean they need to hire coaches who were previously there at the new gig, but sheesh. If all of your best connections are those you currently have at BG, that raises a yellow caution flag for me.

This is what appears to be happening here. So I will remain cautiously optimistic. But it's BG for crying out loud. It's not Alabama.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil...this isn't your standard plug n play offense...Dino wants continuity. I have no problem with it...surely we'll see 1 or 2 move on (up or out) next year. Consider this offense like a Cult...we are inside the Cult...if we are GRob'ish 1-10 in late Nov...we'll be passing around the Orange Kool-aid.

Two thoughts. 1, Babers did liken this offensive system to a cult and not many people get brought in to it, so not surprising to see him keeping his group intact. Naturally, SU fans are leery of coaches "bringing the band back together," but it is what it is. 2, it's hard to get the perfect staff together on the first try, so if a few wash out after year one that's just the way it goes. No reason to get too hung up on anybody included or not included right now.

Tough to question a guy who’s been winning though. If you have 15 or more WR’s on a team, line up 4 wide and have inside/outside guys doing vastly different things then I can see a need. They say it's complex and relies on pre-snap reads not just from the QB but also the WR’s. There was a blurb about cutting off a route if a Corner opens up his hips to early. That to me is some serious ‘being on the same page stuff’.

Anyhow, how much different can it be than having a Safety coach AND Corner coach, or Defensive Ends AND Defensive Line, Or Tackles AND Guards. To me it’s just putting more focus on the meat of your offense so I’m on board with it.

I also like Sowder because he’s lived it, having played WR at Baylor. Can we have a better teacher for the WR’s in the Briles’ offense?

Defensively I was hoping he'd go outside to put together the defense. I want an aggressive attacking scheme and I think BG's defense is terrible. Was hoping for a homerun type DC, much like Marrone hiring Shafer.

His DC was there just this past season, not even enough time for the kids to really know the system. Ward is a good DC.

You are right, he can't possibly be any good if he didn't coach at a P5 school. I stand corrected.

Why are we excited about Babers again?

No but it would be nice to see successful D-Coordinator experience somewhere. He's had 1 season as a D1 Coordinator and it wasn't that good.

"It's not happening for Acosta"

pretty sure I read this back on page 3 from someone considered "in the know"

Interesting. He coached DL at Bowling Green. So if he's coaching LB...who is coaching DL?