Post Game Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post Game Thoughts

T

TrickySU

Here are some of my thoughts from the game.

Bad Things:
1. The offensive line was awful. Nassib was given no protection and we found it very hard to run the ball. I thought that the offensive line was supposed to be better and more experienced than last year but right now I just don't see it.

2. The defensive line is a problem. Nobody on the defensive line gets pressure on the quarterback. The only time we sack quarterbacks is when we blitz. Whenever we rush 3 or 4 guys the quarterback has all day to throw.

3. We found it hard to move the ball against Rhode Island. I think this statement speaks for itself.

Good things:
1. We have some young players and they are getting much needed experience. We should see much improvement throughout the year.

2. The defense only gave up 14 points so they didn't play horribly bad even though it was Rhode Island

3. We found a way to win the game and we are now 2-0

Overall the offensive and defensive lines need to improve. The defense kept Rhode Island in check, but the offense struggled. A win is a win no matter who it is against and some experienced was gained. Marrone knows what he needs to work on with this team and I have confidence that he will have this team ready for USC in a week.

I hate rent-a-win games against 1AA opponents, especially the week before a big game. More often than not, the favored team plays with a lack of focus that makes for a sloppy game.

I think everyone has to remember that the Syracuse program is rebuilding, and has a long way to go to reclaim its former strength. Baby steps -- the 2-0 start is a big positive to hold onto.

Pretty much agree. I was watching the line carefully in the first half, and there seemed to be more whiffs than usual. Good pass protection throughout though, except for the pre-mentioned whiffs up the middle. The Dline seems to bull rush into their men with decent strength, at least against this club, I kept wanting to shout, go around him!! Didn't do any good.

Yeah I want to start seeing the D-line start to do more than just bull rush. I would like our defensive ends to use some Dwight Freeney type moves to get around their defenders instead of just running into the offensive blockers

Here are some of my thoughts from the game.

Bad Things:
1. The offensive line was awful. Nassib was given no protection and we found it very hard to run the ball. I thought that the offensive line was supposed to be better and more experienced than last year but right now I just don't see it.

2. The defensive line is a problem. Nobody on the defensive line gets pressure on the quarterback. The only time we sack quarterbacks is when we blitz. Whenever we rush 3 or 4 guys the quarterback has all day to throw.

3. We found it hard to move the ball against Rhode Island. I think this statement speaks for itself.

Good things:
1. We have some young players and they are getting much needed experience. We should see much improvement throughout the year.

2. The defense only gave up 14 points so they didn't play horribly bad even though it was Rhode Island

3. We found a way to win the game and we are now 2-0

Overall the offensive and defensive lines need to improve. The defense kept Rhode Island in check, but the offense struggled. A win is a win no matter who it is against and some experienced was gained. Marrone knows what he needs to work on with this team and I have confidence that he will have this team ready for USC in a week.

Pretty fair assessment. The OL has been very disappointing. Our running game, outside of the one long run vs Wake, has been poor. Ant isn't getting many holes

Ryan and the receivers have been a treat. With rushers in his face, Ryan has been outstanding. When was the last SU QB that was called on to throw this much? And yet the guy has a 75% completion rate and a 6:1 TD/int ratio

The receivers have really stepped up. Alec has made great strides, whether it's due to a healed hand or just a year's experience. He kept us in the game in the first half vs Wake and had a ton of grabs tonight. The whole receiving corps has been fun to watch

Our D is making very ordinary QB's look much better than they are. That has to end quickly once we start facing some real competition.

I'll take 2-0 though. You can learn just as much by winning while struggling as you can losing while struggling

...well saw the game on ESPN game plan...must say being 2-0 is great..on the otherhand, the belief that the OL would be very good seems miles from the truth...they literally stunk up the field...our running game is non-existant and pass protection even worse...so What...who is coaching the OL...they need to get on these kids asses and start looking like a good offensive line...

Now it may be hard to believe, but Wake beat NCState...so we could beat at least 3 teams with this poor running game...disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom