Post-Spring Depth Chart Is Up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Post-Spring Depth Chart Is Up

Robinson and the JUCO will start at DE with Goggins and Sharpe off the bench. This depth chart pretty much gives us nothing, and we knew it wouldn't. I think the one telling thing other than the pairings is that Broyld is the 3rd HB. At this point, I seriously doubt he will ever be our starting QB.

Sharpe's gonna start. He was the first DE off the bench last year and clearly the most productive DE on the roster.

Ideally I think Trudo and Hickey solidify the right side of the line. They were arguably our top incoming freshmen OLs in their respective classes, so hopefully the talent is ready and Foy and Sweet Lou are depth guys.

And man would I feel better if Macky could gain another stone.
the one thing that's very clear to me from looking at the depth chart is that once again the OLine is going to be the major weak link for this team. Unless by some miracle Trudo and Hickey report this summer all healed up and instantly in starting BCS OL form - this group is going to struggle once again. There is still little in the way of quality depth and with constant injuries to this group I don't have a lot of hope here.

The rest of the roster looks pretty solid (TE being the possible exception to that).

Accounting for the fact that the injured were a major factor in the chart,it still looks like all the names were put in a helmet and picked out by a mascot with furry mitts for hands. A couple names jumped out that I liked. The first is Kris Curtis as an O-line guy.. I doubt he beats out a healthy Pugh for the LT spot but its a good first step for the guy who came into the program with a quality resume. The other was/is Donnie Simmons.at DE Now whether he can sustain that after the new players come into the program this August is quite another thing. Brewster is going to be difficult to beat out coming out of a JC situation. Beaulieu at TE is ludicrous. regardless of the depth chart spot. I like Reddish back at CB and PR. Maybe we can get a return over 10 yards this coming season.

So let's see if I understand this-basically if you're not injured, you're on the 2-deep. Is that correct?

So let's see if I understand this-basically if you're not injured, you're on the 2-deep. Is that correct?

That's pretty much what it seems like.

I've actually never even touted MPB before, in fact I have never even mentioned him until my last post. Micah Robinson, however, I have stated multiple times that he will be a starter. He is virtually our only pro typical DE that has good size, good speed, and can shed blocks. The staff loves him and he is in the frame of Chandler Jones. The reason I say MPB is because others that know the situation with him better than I do have stated that he is very likely to be a starter. Also, I really don't like Sharpe as a starter at all, and Simmons will be the other guy off the bench. I see Goggins around campus and he's no taller than me (5'10"). There is no chance in heck that that kid is 6'1", he's like a freakin' meatball.

My bad. Thought it was you pumping MPB. My memory is known to fail me quite a bit.

Sharpe's gonna start. He was the first DE off the bench last year and clearly the most productive DE on the roster.
I agree I think Sharpe will start and I will even take it a step further and say suprise a lot of people. He could be 1st/2nd team big east this year

I agree I think Sharpe will start and I will even take it a step further and say suprise a lot of people. He could be 1st/2nd team big east this year
If so, he'll need to cut way down on the personal fouls and stupid, untimely penalties this season. His penchant for boneheaded penalties (personal foul on 3rd and long) hurt the defense more often than his occasional sacks helped it.

If so, he'll need to cut way down on the stupid, untimely penalties this season.
The kid is allowed a learning curve correct? I mean he has the ability and getting that many reps over the lat three years should have really done great things as far as preparing him for this year. Sad thing is he has gone up against much better athletes playing ball in high school then he does currently in the Big East lol

He plays on the strong side, which is the side of the field most running plays and more passing plays occur. That and Marinovich wasn't all that good.

I understand about the strong side thing but I would still expect Spruill to get more tackles than him as he is the MLB. Which LB's typically played in the okie package?

VAUGHAN, Dan 12 games, 72 tackles
SPRUILL, Marquis 12 games, 62 tackles
DAVIS, Dyshawn 12 games, 43 tackles
LYNCH, Cameron 10 games, 35 tackles
DIABATE, Siriki 11 games, 24 tackles

I knew they would release it once they saw Cali's frustration that it had not yet been released.
Clearly scraqmbled to put together a bunch of names off the roster on some spread sheet format. I'm kind of shocked Goggins isn't at the QB position, I

Robinson and the JUCO will start at DE with Goggins and Sharpe off the bench. This depth chart pretty much gives us nothing, and we knew it wouldn't. I think the one telling thing other than the pairings is that Broyld is the 3rd HB. At this point, I seriously doubt he will ever be our starting QB.
I wouldn't be so quick to make that leap. Especially right after the NFL Draft when a former WR was the third QB taken and the 8th player overall. Broyld is a dynamic player that will try to be utilized before possibly making the switch back to QB. If he can't make the switch, he'll be ready to contribute elsewhere. Nothing to think too much about.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that leap. Especially right after the NFL Draft when a former WR was the third QB taken and the 8th player overall. Broyld is a dynamic player that will try to be utilized before possibly making the switch back to QB. If he can't make the switch, he'll be ready to contribute elsewhere. Nothing to think too much about.
I have to hope you are wrong. BTW I noticed Hunts" name on the depth chart. Has he been reinstated?:noidea:

I understand about the strong side thing but I would still expect Spruill to get more tackles than him as he is the MLB. Which LB's typically played in the okie package?

Anene, Vaughan, Diet-Tab, Lynch were the Okie guys. I think.

The kid is allowed a learning curve correct? I mean he has the ability and getting that many reps over the lat three years should have really done great things as far as preparing him for this year. Sad thing is he has gone up against much better athletes playing ball in high school then he does currently in the Big East lol
I sincerely hope you're right. Sharp has shown some "flashes" (sorry), but he needs to display a higher football IQ to become more of an asset than a liability. Some of his penalties last season were maddening.

I sincerely hope you're right. Sharp has shown some "flashes" (sorry), but he needs to display a higher football IQ to become more of an asset than a liability. Some of his penalties last season were maddening.
I understand that and I am not saying I never got frustrated with the guy I just think he has the ability to be a legit D end for us

I may be wrong about this but unlike Hay and P. Thomas I felt like Sharp's personal foul penalties were shockingly out of character for him. Of course, he wasn't on the field as much as Hay or P. Thomas and he still managed to get too many flags, so maybe he needs to tone it down in general. I just felt like he got a raw deal on at least one or two of his penalties. What I really like about Sharpe is his speed. He can run, and he makes plays.

question for those who've seen him play: Does Phillips have a chance to unseat McPherson from the Center position?

I think if we are healthy this is going to be our deepest and best Dline in years. I can see a 5 man rotation at both DE and DL. Goggins, Robinson as Strong side DE's. MPB and Sharpe as weak side DE's. Simmons becomes situational. Boatman, Bromley, Crume, Sloan and possibly Zeus as a 5 man rotation on the interior. Third and long i can see Bromley, and Goggins on the inside with Simmons and MPB at DE possibly Sharpe. Shafer should have fun this year as he finally has a few tools in the box

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom