Postgame Thoughts… Northeastern | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Northeastern

So that man to man thing. We can put that to bed now, right?

Pressing might be enough, but it's like hanging in there and only trying to win when it's late in the second half, when times running out. We have guys that can run.

Chris Bell really has no business being on the court. I was trying not to make any overly-definitive statements through the exhibitions but there is simply no way that he should be on the court over JT or Quadir.

JT is solid on both ends, plays hard every play and, from everything we’ve seen in live action, he’s a better shooter than Bell. I would love to see him get considerably more burn.

I think Quadir should play more too but JT’s floor is way higher right now.

FWIW, in only 12 mins Bell did have 3 rebounds and assist and I remember him tipping a ball away in the lane.

FWIW, in only 12 mins Bell did have 3 rebounds and assist and I remember him tipping a ball away in the lane.
I’m very curious to see what him and JT do against big boy competition this week

So he actually has a good looking shot when he’s on balance and in rhythm. The problem is that he’s off balance and not in rhythm 9 of 10 times.

It’s all the things leading up to his release that are the issue. He’s gets moved off his spot so easily.
The same happens when he tries to finish through contact in the paint. He doesn’t play strong at all. I’m don’t think this a skill that can be learned. You either have it or don’t. Brown has it. Benny does not.

So that man to man thing. We can put that to bed now, right?

So weird. I mean it's a team with the athleticism to actually play a decent zone along with one weakness in Joe as a mtm defender and JB decides this a year we go man... then poof... lol

So weird. I mean it's a team with the athleticism to actually play a decent zone along with one weakness in Joe as a mtm defender and JB decides this a year we go man... then poof... lol
It’s too hard to practice two defenses. Especially from Saturday to Monday(per the presser).

Would like to see Q get some pg run. Can be like richmond for us
He seems out of control right now when he has the ball in the hands, lots of showy passes that get him into trouble. Late game blowouts, I say go for it but any other time they should leave it to mintz, sy or JG

Last edited:
It’s too hard to practice two defenses. Especially from Saturday to Monday(per the presser).
Well I will say the m2m didn’t look any better against the 3, but I still thought he should have run it a bit this game. That being said, expecting a night and day change for the defense in 3-4 practices is definitely asking for too much. Hopefully they’ll improve by ACC play

I think JB saw Girard get posted up a couple of times and Joe offered almost no resistance and he switched out of it.

I don’t think it was the 3s.
That too

All due respect but this is not making any sense. “He was aware Jesse was there, but that wasn’t his intent”? How so?
His intent was to pass the ball… precisely because he WAS aware Jesse was there. The fact that he used an unorthodox pass to get him the ball speaks of creativity, not dumb luck.

What Tuttle is saying is that Judah's first intent was to take it to the rim and get off a shot. After he saw the defender had blocked him at the rim, that's when he noticed Jesse diving to the rim down the lane and flipped it back over his shoulder.

The pass was on purpose, after his chance to score had been blocked off. He didn't start the drive planning to make that pass. It was an improvisation that worked out.

What Tuttle is saying is that Judah's first intent was to take it to the rim and get off a shot. After he saw the defender had blocked him at the rim, that's when he noticed Jesse diving to the rim down the lane and flipped it back over his shoulder.

The pass was on purpose, after his chance to score had been blocked off. He didn't start the drive planning to make that pass. It was an improvisation that worked out.

The improvisation doesn't mean it was luck/a bailout though. Which is what was implied. Judah knew where to look opposed to forcing it.

You have to start him to keep his head in the game, but he’s not playing like a guy who deserves more than 15min/game.

I love Taylor too. I think he and brown are going to be great 4 year college players.
Let's hope that all four years are for the Orange.

The improvisation doesn't mean it was luck/a bailout though. Which is what was implied. Judah knew where to look opposed to forcing it.
Exactly.
Improvisation is a key part of the game- the best players improvise, sometimes in mid-air. Should all those be considered “luck” or “bailouts” as well? Poor choice of words.

Reading the posts last week, I'm surprised anyone watched the game. Everyone was threatening to boycott unless JB announced his retirement. I said I think we're going to be good and got flamed by a cast of hundreds. It's going to be a boo-yeah season because of our youth. To be really good defense and rebounding need to improve.

For those who have given up I'll buy your season ticket for $20 bucks.

From what I could see, we played bully ball and out athleted them. The good news is for the first time in a few years we have pretty good athletes. The bad news is we aren’t so athletic that we will have an advantage over a major conference team. Unfortunately, I didn’t see much on offense that is going to work against teams where the other team has similar athletes to us.

Mintz’s playmaking is getting and better and I love the chemistry he is building with Jesse. But I don’t see JG3 having that type of game when the other team starts guarding him with a stud athlete and I don’t see Jesse being as successful when he has three athletic and tall guys collapsing on him. This team desperately needs another shooter to spread the floor and it would be nice to run some plays to get easy buckets. I was disappointed that they didn’t run nearly as much as we saw that first game against Lehigh and that we completely ditched man 2 man. I don’t think this team is going to be good enough on D to play zone and 100% of the time.

The other good news is based on the evidence against the cupcake portion of the schedule we don’t have to worry about being a bubble team this year. We’ll see where we are after some games against “real” competition.

I think JB saw Girard get posted up a couple of times and Joe offered almost no resistance and he switched out of it.

I don’t think it was the 3s.

Agree. Joe’s post up defense was abysmal. The whole team was bad because it was way too easy to get Joe switched. I watched UVA against Baylor and Kihei Clark, who Is smaller than Joe avoided getting switched like that (and of course Kihei is a really good defender).

I don’t really think Jesse or Benny are good man defenders too

Cuse

From what I could see, we played bully ball and out athleted them. The good news is for the first time in a few years we have pretty good athletes. The bad news is we aren’t so athletic that we will have an advantage over a major conference team. Unfortunately, I didn’t see much on offense that is going to work against teams where the other team has similar athletes to us.

Mintz’s playmaking is getting and better and I love the chemistry he is building with Jesse. But I don’t see JG3 having that type of game when the other team starts guarding him with a stud athlete and I don’t see Jesse being as successful when he has three athletic and tall guys collapsing on him. This team desperately needs another shooter to spread the floor and it would be nice to run some plays to get easy buckets. I was disappointed that they didn’t run nearly as much as we saw that first game against Lehigh and that we completely ditched man 2 man. I don’t think this team is going to be good enough on D to play zone and 100% of the time.

The other good news is based on the evidence against the cupcake portion of the schedule we don’t have to worry about being a bubble team this year. We’ll see where we are after some games against “real” competition.
We can easily lose four of the next five game. Two on NYC and definitely against ND and Illinois.

I just shook my head and laughed at that whole presser..

Didn't he say something to the effect of Richmond runs 10 plus sets similar to Princeton and we cannot prep for it in a day, and the zone takes away a lot of that?

That logic is at least sound.

(I don't like this team's zone)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom