Postgame Thoughts… Northeastern | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Northeastern

If they want to guard Joe so tight that the cant help on Mintz, then the question is what level of defender can he get into the paint against.. from game 1-3 he has gotten better at getting into good spots. Not every team is gonna face up Joe either. Now the question becomes can we find a 4th guy who does something well.. Benny is being more aggressive and form wise is shooting more often on time.. Confidence is his friend if things start to go in for him. We need more than 4/7 from Bell/Brown but if 7/8 from Benny can get more like 10/8 that would be good. Even that only gets us as a team into the 60ish range..

Agree. Joe’s post up defense was abysmal. The whole team was bad because it was way too easy to get Joe switched. I watched UVA against Baylor and Kihei Clark, who Is smaller than Joe avoided getting switched like that (and of course Kihei is a really good defender).

I don’t really think Jesse or Benny are good man defenders too

Cuse
That’s the thing. You don’t “have” to switch.

But it’s easier, so of course that’s what he and we would do.

The problem with this team is if Mintz, Joe or Jesse have a poor game we don’t have anyone to pick up the slack. We can’t expect to get nearly sixty points out of those three. I think JB has to continue to rotate Symir, Bell, Taylor, Brown, Copeland and Hima into the game to keep the zone active and rested. If we can find 10-12 points out of that combination it might be enough. We can’t get only 4-5 points from that group. With confidence, one of them might step up and become a consistent scorer. From watching the games, Bell seems to bring the least to the table. Symir is a given and Taylor and Brown have better floor games. Copeland is the most interesting because he handles it well and is very active. He could be the ultimate reason JB retires because he will pull your hair out at times with his decision making, but he does bring something to the game. He has that spirit and oozes confidence. This team has a lot of moving parts. Joe was really good cutting and using screens last night. We just need to keep the brain freezes to a minimum. He just gets that look in his eye to take on the entire defense.

Agree. Joe’s post up defense was abysmal. The whole team was bad because it was way too easy to get Joe switched. I watched UVA against Baylor and Kihei Clark, who Is smaller than Joe avoided getting switched like that (and of course Kihei is a really good defender).

I don’t really think Jesse or Benny are good man defenders too

Cuse
Clark's up for tenure review.

What Tuttle is saying is that Judah's first intent was to take it to the rim and get off a shot. After he saw the defender had blocked him at the rim, that's when he noticed Jesse diving to the rim down the lane and flipped it back over his shoulder.

The pass was on purpose, after his chance to score had been blocked off. He didn't start the drive planning to make that pass. It was an improvisation that worked out.
You said it better than I did. Thanks.

So here would be my rotation as of right now. But I reserve the right to change my mind. I would start Joe Judah Malik Benny and Jesse. I would have Copeland Symir and Heimir off the bench. And Taylor would be my .5 to give me 8.5 player rotation

And Bell to change his name back to Bunch. Or anything else. This name isn't working.

Didn't he say something to the effect of Richmond runs 10 plus sets similar to Princeton and we cannot prep for it in a day, and the zone takes away a lot of that?

That logic is at least sound.

(I don't like this team's zone)

He did. That said watch the Richmond- COC highlights. They push the pace of misses, iso Burton and play a half court offense that looks more like Colgates zone offense than Princeton sets. Didn't see much back cut action at all although that is pretty common anyways these days.

i like benny a lot but he needs to bring a little more nastiness to his game. he's playing soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom