Postgame thoughts... Pitt (game 2) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... Pitt (game 2)

Our guards don't create for others and are streaky shooters at best. We have no center. Defense is quite bad. It's honestly amazing we've won as many games as we have.

Neither starting guard can make plays for others.
Neither can get open or penetrate against decent m2m.
The zone sucks. It’s not effective. It’s not novel. It’s not intimidating. And we don’t have the personnel to overcome it.
KaDary was amazing earlier in the season, didn’t get rewarded for his play, and now he’s a shell of what he was. Only partially due to opposition recognizing his weakness.
JB is ineffective. Even if he was at one time the greatest coach in history, there’s a thing called age. I’m 53 and don’t have nearly the energy or interest in learning new stuff I used to have. Complacency, stubbornness, and reliance on what used to work—that’s human nature. JB is human. His time has passed.
We need to start getting 5-stars and not 4-stars who we then say are much better because scouts hate us or they haven’t been seen by people in the US.

Yet another new low for the program. I can’t believe this is where we’re at. I really thought we’d be a tourney team this season. Though part of that hinged on Sidibe being back at relatively full strength at center. So no legit center is def one of our big issues.

Neither starting guard can make plays for others.
Neither can get open or penetrate against decent m2m.
The zone sucks. It’s not effective. It’s not novel. It’s not intimidating. And we don’t have the personnel to overcome it.
KaDary was amazing earlier in the season, didn’t get rewarded for his play, and now he’s a shell of what he was. Only partially due to opposition recognizing his weakness.
JB is ineffective. Even if he was at one time the greatest coach in history, there’s a thing called age. I’m 53 and don’t have nearly the energy or interest in learning new stuff I used to have. Complacency, stubbornness, and reliance on what used to work—that’s human nature. JB is human. His time has passed.
We need to start getting 5-stars and not 4-stars who we then say are much better because scouts hate us or they haven’t been seen by people in the US.

Do we never see JG or BB get doubled in practice?

The sheer terror they go through when doubled in games should be an indication they can't play 40 minutes and be that bad defensively.

"JFC, there are two of them guarding me! What sort of witchcraft is this?!?!? Retreat!!!!"

I completely missed this game somehow and it looks like it was a blessing. As you all know I hate Pitt with the fire of 1k suns. Been such an odd year. I guess this is like the Andrew White team where you see some really good stuff on offense from time to time but the defense is really poor. I’ve been very concerned about the zone being weak this year and the worst transition defense I’ve ever seen from a cuse team. Of course in a normal year there would be some time to work on those things in practice but that didn’t happen, so what started bad has stayed bad.

I completely missed this game somehow and it looks like it was a blessing. As you all know I hate Pitt with the fire of 1k suns. Been such an odd year. I guess this is like the Andrew White team where you see some really good stuff on offense from time to time but the defense is really poor. I’ve been very concerned about the zone being weak this year and the worst transition defense I’ve ever seen from a cuse team. Of course in a normal year there would be some time to work on those things in practice but that didn’t happen, so what started bad has stayed bad.
The Andrew White team would destroy this one.

I want to hear someone ask JB the following:

1. Where he thinks his starting backcourt ranks amongst ACC teams;
2. Whether he and his staff have done a good job identifying talent and recruiting; and
3. whether he thinks he's coached well over the past 3 seasons

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

Roster management is a mess. I don’t understand it at all.

Marek is not a center. Period. Full stop. At times we can get away with playing him there against smaller/weaker teams, but there is almost no scenario where he should be getting 30+ minutes at the 5 in ACC games.

The backcourt “rotation” is utterly illogical. Buddy has his positives but he never should be a 40 minute iron man. JG is the prototypical bench gunner, who gets 10 minutes or 25 depending on his shooting. Kadary needs minutes consistency, not being jerked around. And give Griffin some run here, because...

Why aren’t Braswell and Newton getting more run at F? They are athletic energy guys. Woody is MIA, and Bras might as well not come out of the locker room after halftime.

I can’t make heads or tails of what JB is trying to do with this roster.

Marek is not a center. Period. Full stop. At times we can get away with playing him there against smaller/weaker teams, but there almost no scenario where he should be getting 30+ minutes at the 5 in ACC games.

The backcourt “rotation” is utterly illogical. Buddy has his positives but he never should be a 40 minute iron man. JG is the prototypical bench gunner, who gets 10 minutes or 25 depending on his shooting. Kadary needs minutes consistency, not being jerked around. And give Griffin some run here, because...

Why aren’t Braswell and Newton getting more run at F? They are athletic energy guys. Woody is MIA, and Bras might as well not come out of the locker room after halftime.

Bras not playing in 2nd half is bizarre.
quicker hooks needs to start for the starters. we are getting down and THEN we make the move. it’s not working

Marek is not a center. Period. Full stop. At times we can get away with playing him there against smaller/weaker teams, but there is almost no scenario where he should be getting 30+ minutes at the 5 in ACC games.

I agree with literally this entire post. It would have been nice to see what Newton could do today. Agree about Joe being 10-25 minutes to see if he is making any shots. If not, what's the point of him?

I feel bad for Quincy. He can only do so much

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

I'm quite sure that if my questions were screened, my call would never be taken by the host.

I want to hear someone ask JB the following:

1. Where he thinks his starting backcourt ranks amongst ACC teams;
2. Whether he and his staff have done a good job identifying talent and recruiting; and
3. whether he thinks he's coached well over the past 3 seasons

I'm sure we will receive a patient and thoughtful response to each question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom