Postgame Thoughts... UNC | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UNC

It’s funny how every loss is on the refs. Every one. Always.

Yeah, well

Outrebounded them. Bunch of points in the paint. 25-3 FTs, really 15-1 when it mattered (first 14 mins of the 2H). And the fouls on Cuse were ticky-tack while we're taking "solid m2m defense body up contact", give me a break

Absurdly bad calls one way, really none the other. The 3rd foul on our Center that changed the game should have been offensive on theirs. Frankly that guy sucks and hit the side of the backboard but "UNC" so must have been fouled

The charge on an And-1 for us that has never been a charge IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME on a 1-on-1 fast break

This is not the game to be making this argument. The referees 100,000% changed the outcome of this scoreboard, so much so that one has to wonder intent/motivation

The end was a mess from all sides: us, UNC and the refs.

But we still started in a hole again. That matters. We keep getting down the first few mins and having to climb back into games.

I get focusing on the end, but the real worrying bit, which probably doesn’t matter now bc our tourney hope is basically non-existent, is that we started down again.

I know JB isn’t going to change the lineup, but we need to do something to change the way we start games.

The end was a mess from all sides: us, UNC and the refs.

But we still started in a hole again. That matters. We keep getting down the first few mins and having to climb back into games.

I get focusing on the end, but the real worrying bit, which probably doesn’t matter now bc our tourney hope is basically non-existent, is that we started down again.

I know JB isn’t going to change the lineup, but we need to do something to change the way we start games.
Benny was almost single-handedly responsible for that bad start. He missed the easiest of layups and left guys wide open on defense.

We were up 2, with the ball. Okay, you give up a foul. Absolutely have to rebound now. No? No worries, we'll tip it right to them instead. Okay only down 1 with the ball and plenty of time. Better race down the floor AGAIN and not only not score or foul, but foul flagrantly. The odds of all of that...

Choke job. Truly. Again and again.

Boeheim slide rule.
I had a feeling in the prediction thread that the outcome would be the most psychologically painful one possible. I couldn't however imagine how all this played out. Just terrible.

It was also going out of bounds on unc till joe tipped it. And then made things worse by throwing it for an easy layup.
It was an instinctive, split-second play. At that moment it wasn't blatantly obvious who had last touched the ball. I applaud JG for his hustle and athleticism. I don't know how anyone can blame him for this.

I had a feeling in the prediction thread that the outcome would be the most psychologically painful one possible. I couldn't however imagine how all this played out. Just terrible.
I’d far rather UNC have simply made a great shot or play to beat us.

They didn’t do anything but get away with fouling, and get lucky.

It was an instinctive, split-second play. At that moment it wasn't blatantly obvious who had last touched the ball. I applaud JG for his hustle and athleticism. I don't know how anyone can blame him for this.
You can’t blindly save the ball right towards the basket, across the lane.

If you’re not in enough control to save it to a teammate, throw it off an opponent, or maybe throw it way down to the other end of the court, or take a timeout, then leave it alone.

I’d far rather UNC have simply made a great shot or play to beat us.

They didn’t do anything but get away with fouling, and get lucky.
It was like a nightmare where something bad is about to happen to you and you cannot move or talk.

It did look to me in the moment like that ball was off of Joe. Didn't stop me from howling like a freak over the save, because honestly either way you just need to let that go, but I don't think it was as maddeningly stupid as it might have seemed.

The flagrant on Mintz didn't surprise me for a second. Yes, it is extremely unusual for the offensive player to be given that, but he was completely out of control. Just barreling into the lane barely keeping possession. I don't think any other set of refs anywhere would have called that differently.

The foul that put Mintz out was ridiculous. That's the sort of call that's actually worth complaining a lot about.

Big props to Bell for being the offense in this one. His shooting is definitely coming around, 45.5% from 3 in conference, and I can see why JAB and the staff are high on him and keep him in despite the rest of his game being hit or miss.

You can’t blindly save the ball right towards the basket, across the lane.

If you’re not in enough control to save it to a teammate, throw it off an opponent, or maybe throw it way down to the other end of the court, or take a timeout, then leave it alone.
That's where I'm at. Regardless of who it was off of, you just can't save it under your own basket. Even if it's UNC ball, you at least have a chance to set up defense if it goes out of bounds.

Very frustrating but much more fun to watch than the last few years.

Hima seemed slow to react a couple of times. He just stood there for the ball in the face after one save and Joe's save under their basket. I thought he would have been able to catch Joe's save or at least stop the NC player from catching it. I wonder if he was under the weather.

Big props to Bell for being the offense in this one. His shooting is definitely coming around, 45.5% from 3 in conference, and I can see why JAB and the staff are high on him and keep him in despite the rest of his game being hit or miss.
That 3 from the corner in the second half was big time. He wasn’t open and he made enough space to get it off and drained it with such a quick release. Huge shot at the time.

Sorry if already posted but a couple of these Armando bacot clips are going around where he talks candidly about UNC getting lucky at the end and cuse in some ways deserving the win. Also complimentary to the crowd and environment. Comes off as a very ego free guy in this clips. Seems to confirm that the chirp at Jesse rumor must have been fake news. Doesn’t seem like a guy who would chirp someone else in a media interview.

Sorry if already posted but a couple of these Armando bacot clips are going around where he talks candidly about UNC getting lucky at the end and cuse in some ways deserving the win. Also complimentary to the crowd and environment. Comes off as a very ego free guy in this clips. Seems to confirm that the chirp at Jesse rumor must have been fake news. Doesn’t seem like a guy who would chirp someone else in a media interview.

Okay, did he say “stuck it in?”

Follow-up question: Is that phrase alluding to what I think it is?

Okay, did he say “stuck it in?”

Follow-up question: Is that phrase alluding to what I think it is?
Going to guess it’s just some southern way of saying we “hung in there” or what have you

Always wished he was someone that would hit the portal and we could swoop in.

Yeah, well

Outrebounded them. Bunch of points in the paint. 25-3 FTs, really 15-1 when it mattered (first 14 mins of the 2H). And the fouls on Cuse were ticky-tack while we're taking "solid m2m defense body up contact", give me a break

Absurdly bad calls one way, really none the other. The 3rd foul on our Center that changed the game should have been offensive on theirs. Frankly that guy sucks and hit the side of the backboard but "UNC" so must have been fouled

The charge on an And-1 for us that has never been a charge IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME on a 1-on-1 fast break

This is not the game to be making this argument. The referees 100,000% changed the outcome of this scoreboard, so much so that one has to wonder intent/motivation
How many time have we won throughout the years being outrebounded? I’m guessing a lot.

How many time have we won throughout the years being outrebounded? I’m guessing a lot.
This was related not to winning but to relative physicality inside vis a vis the Fouls/FT disparity that decided the outcome of the game.

I didn’t think this team would win 10 f’in games this year…..not 10…..so I am pleasantly surprised by how the team is playing. We are good enough to win a couple games in the big dance but we have to get there first by closing out some games. I have a feeling we get the wins we need to dance.

I agree. This team reminds me of teams of old a little bit. The freshmen are awesome. We just need the defense to evolve from good to outrageously great by March. The defense is key. I think the offense is good enough. But this 2-3 zone is not quite as good as ones in years past. I think it's going to get there by March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom