Postgame Thoughts... UNC | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UNC

This was related not to winning but to relative physicality inside vis a vis the Fouls/FT disparity that decided the outcome of the game.

I think the Tim Higgins like call on Mintz driving to the basket was why our favorite team lost. I guess the ACC refs from the deep south decided UNC needed a quadrant 4 victory so they could make it to the dance! If the Orange are ranked by the end of the season mission accomplished. I think this team has enough talent and physical strength to become a ranked team in 2 or 3 weeks.

Does anyone know the name and where the ref who made the Tim Higgins like call is from?

How many time have we won throughout the years being outrebounded? I’m guessing a lot.

There were a lot of games were our favorite team won with really bad free-throw shooting because of transition baskets. I'm not sure this year's squad has quite figured out the amazingly rewarding nature of fast breaks off 2-3 zone pass interceptions. Once they figure it out Mintz will have a field day!

How many time have we won throughout the years being outrebounded? I’m guessing a lot.
Probably a lot, yes.

But how many times have we won throughout the years while:
(1) being outrebounded;
(2) having fewer points in the paint;
(3) having a lower FG% from inside the arc;
(4) having a lower FG% from outside the arc; and
(5) having 20 or more FTA than the opponent?

Probably, very, very few times, especially in a conference game.

Benny was almost single-handedly responsible for that bad start. He missed the easiest of layups and left guys wide open on defense.

The thing with Benny is that he doesn't grab rebounds with authority. He doesn't "want" the ball badly enough. Bell has been pretty passive about rebounding, too, but at least his effort seems to be increasing.

Ever have a 13-14 year old kid rooting for UNC sitting behind you saying “let’s gooo!” every time his team does something? Because it’s just awesome, let me tell you.

Why are these kids so uncreative that “let’s goooo” is the only thing they say? I think it was the only thing the kid said the whole game.

Ever have a 13-14 year old kid rooting for UNC sitting behind you saying “let’s gooo!” every time his team does something? Because it’s just awesome, let me tell you.

Why are these kids so uncreative that “let’s goooo” is the only thing they say? I think it was the only thing the kid said the whole game.
Their parents must really suck.

It was an instinctive, split-second play. At that moment it wasn't blatantly obvious who had last touched the ball. I applaud JG for his hustle and athleticism. I don't know how anyone can blame him for this.
That's basic little league stuff. Don't save ball under opponents basket if you can't control it.

I agree. This team reminds me of teams of old a little bit. The freshmen are awesome. We just need the defense to evolve from good to outrageously great by March. The defense is key. I think the offense is good enough. But this 2-3 zone is not quite as good as ones in years past. I think it's going to get there by March.
too little too late

I went to the Dome regionals in 2005 (the S16 Nova screwjob). The UNC alums that showed out had a different look to them than the bandwagon CNY Tar Heel fan base. The dirty starter jacket was the giveaway.

That's basic little league stuff. Don't save ball under opponents basket if you can't control it.
If he had saved the ball to Hima, SU likely wins the game, he was trying to make a play. If he let it go out, NC would get the ball and the refs would have given then 2 free throws on some phantom foul if they didn't make a basket.

If he had saved the ball to Hima, SU likely wins the game, he was trying to make a play. If he let it go out, NC would get the ball and the refs would have given then 2 free throws on some phantom foul if they didn't make a basket.
And if he’d thrown it 94 feet in the air for a 3 pointer, we win!

He wasn’t even close to saving it to Hima and it was a ridiculous play.

Should’ve never come down to it because there’s zero reason we can’t get that rebound in the first place. But it did and he did the worst possible thing.

I went to the Dome regionals in 2005 (the S16 Nova screwjob). The UNC alums that showed out had a different look to them than the bandwagon CNY Tar Heel fan base. The dirty starter jacket was the giveaway.
I think it’s some weird psychological thing these people have where to cover for their own perceived inferiority they try to be “above it” by rooting for a “better” program than the one that all the “superior” locals root for.

And if he’d thrown it 94 feet in the air for a 3 pointer, we win!

He wasn’t even close to saving it to Hima and it was a ridiculous play.

Should’ve never come down to it because there’s zero reason we can’t get that rebound in the first place. But it did and he did the worst possible thing.
SU was up at that point, didn't need a 94 foot 3, just retain possession. Hima couldn't get the rebound because Bacot bulldozed him out of the way,

SU was up at that point, didn't need a 94 foot 3, just retain possession. Hima couldn't get the rebound because Bacot bulldozed him out of the way,
Agreed. We had 3 other guys in there though.

Which UNC player almost had the ball and why?

That’s our fault.

I didn’t think this team would win 10 f’in games this year…..not 10…..so I am pleasantly surprised by how the team is playing. We are good enough to win a couple games in the big dance but we have to get there first by closing out some games. I have a feeling we get the wins we need to dance.
That feeling is gas

The thing with Benny is that he doesn't grab rebounds with authority. He doesn't "want" the ball badly enough. Bell has been pretty passive about rebounding, too, but at least his effort seems to be increasing.
He doesn't. I'm not sure if the "want" is the issue.. He just doesn't seem to have good muscle twitch, reaction or something. He's athletic, but it's not an explosive athleticism, more of a slumbering type. He doesn't really seem to have that "dog" in him. I still think he's a good player, good kid with a couple more years can develop into a consistently good player. He may never become what I think we were expecting, but I hope we don't give up on him.

I agree. This team reminds me of teams of old a little bit. The freshmen are awesome. We just need the defense to evolve from good to outrageously great by March. The defense is key. I think the offense is good enough. But this 2-3 zone is not quite as good as ones in years past. I think it's going to get there by March.
I'm bullish on the 6 new guys, flaws and all. I think they're fun to watch, we're watching them grow, and I haven't seen anything that can't be worked on. I think this team could have possibly made the tourney this season, if we hit everything right. But I'm not sure that was a fair or realistic goal. However, without getting into any coaching this and that, investing in these guys is what we need/should be doing. I am going to give coach credit for doing that. No one has been buried in the dog house.

We are never going to get the 5 stars consistently like some of the other programs, but if we have a good foundation of players when we do get a stud or two, we're able to do some things. You can't cheat the process, sometimes you have to let them taste the stuff their dealing with so they really learn how much they don't like it.

Last edited:
I think it’s some weird psychological thing these people have where to cover for their own perceived inferiority they try to be “above it” by rooting for a “better” program than the one that all the “superior” locals root for.
I think it's a similar thing for people who can't or won't admit that officials very much impact the outcomes of many games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom