Michael IppolitiGR-Fr.
Brayden FergusonGFr.
NOT RETURNING
18​
Vincent TrujilloSSDMJr.Portal (5/23)
30​
Landon ClarySSDMR-Sr.Injured 2024

Last edited:
Other than Leo moving to Attack full time, I have no idea how this off-season shakes out.

Maybe Kohn puts off Law School for a year?

Maybe some of the 5th year Seniors will leave?

Have at it !!!

People who have seen Bucktooth - is he the answer to the fast dodger need? What is his game like?

People who have seen Bucktooth - is he the answer to the fast dodger need? What is his game like?
Heck no. Lol he's a big body bull dodger. Kinda like Cole Kirst but his stick skills are different.

Heck no. Lol he's a big body bull dodger. Kinda like Cole Kirst but his stick skills are different.
We need bigger players who can body up and create their own shot. Too many tweeners who get pushed around. See today.

Not the answer to a fast dodger. He's slick around the cage but won't blow your hair back. He was still at Lafayette when I saw him play, the strength and conditioning and playing against better competition at prep could have changed things. But I don't see him playing a big role imo

I'm going to hold my breath now every time I see that the "2025 Transfer Thread" has a new post.
I’m very concerned about a certain middle. So I’m with you on new posts to 2025 Transfer Thread

I’m very concerned about a certain middle. So I’m with you on new posts to 2025 Transfer Thread
Since you said middie I’m guessing Rhoa?

First of all, a big thank you to the seniors who depart the team this year. It's been a rough couple of years, and there is still a bitter taste for the way this year ended, but I hope they can see the growth and improvement this team has made in the last four years. From the bottom of 4-10 to a quarterfinals appearance is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Also a special thanks to the grad transfers who chose to spend their last year on the hill, helping a young but talented squad to the next level. Obviously the program isn't back to where we all want it to be, but this season can be used as important building block.

Next year's team should be very good, but there are still areas that need improvement. I just wanted to take a look at each position and see where things stand. Of course the big hope is that everyone that can come back, does. Fingers crossed on that front.

Attack: Things looks to be in good shape with the return of Joey Spallina and hopefully Owen Hiltz. Obviously the big question is who takes the third spot? The offense sputtered when Christian Mule struggled against dodging a short stick. Finding an attackman that will consistently draw an opposing long pole, and beat that pole, needs to be a priority for the offseason. Perhaps that player is someone on the team already (Michael Leo) or an incoming freshman (Payton Anderson). Spallina had a fantastic year numbers wise, but I haven't quite seen a player of his abilities struggle in the way that he did. It was all or nothing for him. What can he do in the offseason to improve? I am sure he will spend time doing box lacrosse, and I am sure that fast break pipe shot will motivate him this summer. But for the team to take that next step to greatness, it feels like he needs to play a lot better in big games. Hiltz coming back would be huge. It felt like when he had big games, the team played it's best. That said, he was not always consistent. It feels like if they add the right player to the attack line, the offense can really take off. That said, the "right" players don't just grow on trees.

Midfield: This should be the strength of the team next year, with five starters back, including the entire first midfield. Jake Stevens will be a huge loss of course, he was the best second line midfielder in the country last year and a bonified All American. He had no problem taking the ball to the rack and was as aggressive as they come. Who can replace his 36 points? If Leo is moved up to attack, it seems like the first line wouldn't miss much of a beat with Luke Rhoa moving up to the 1s. He doubled his point production from last year and would add an outside shooting presence that could add a wrinkle to the starting unit. Sam English returns to lead the group - if perhaps he doesn't have to play as much defense next year, can his offensive numbers improve? It just seemed like this years team asked too much of English. He's the midfields best dodger.

Finn Thomson shows endless possibilities, but I think a lot of us would love it if he showed a little more consistency and aggression. He shot the ball more this year, but his shooting % went from the 40s to the 20s. He needs to improve that. Can Jackson Birtwistle bounce back? He was such a force two years ago as a finisher and he just didn't have the same year this year. Perhaps he was battling injuries, but he went from 27 points two years ago to 14 this year. Finally, the wildcard for next year seems to be Payton Anderson, a top ten recruit who brings something this unit desperately needs - size and strength. What kind of impact will he have? Midfield is a difficult position for first year players to transition to, will he be up for it?

Face-off - big question is will Mason Kohn be back? I would personally be a bit surprised if he said yes to that, but perhaps he wants to make a playoff push next year. Law School is always going to be there Mason! If he does move on, Syracuse should have a good succession play in place with Johnny Mullen, who proved he could be a really good player for the Orange. It would still be a good feeling to know you had two solid guys, so if Kohn does move on, does the Orange have another player that can spell Mullen? Doesn't seem like a huge need in the grand scheme of things, but could bite the Orange if they aren't careful. Lastly, the face-off wing unit takes a hit with Stevens moving on, along with all the LSMs. English should be the primary short stick wing next year, but they need to restock this side of the field.

SSDM - the biggest offseason need for the Orange. Syracuse played a ton of guys here, but it was obvious this was the weak spot of the defense (outside of Carter Rice, who was fantastic). The good news is that Rice comes back and is about as good as they come. But he needs help. A defense is only as good as their weakest link. The Orange return a lot of guys with playing experience, but they all had their issues that I don't want to get into. The x-factor is if players like Max Rosa and Landon Clary come back from injury next year? If they do, how much can they be relied on (especially Clary)? I think it's paramount that SU brings in some help here in the transfer portal.

LSM - the Orange have a big hole here, that maybe isn't being talked about enough. Syracuse graduate their top 3 guys at this spot, including Saam Olexo, Matt Wright and Steven Schmitt. They bring in Mike Grace from RIT, and perhaps he moves into this position, but he played close for the Tigers. The Orange bring in Vincent Bologino as their lone LSM freshman, he's a four star but no idea if he would be ready to start or play a lot. Dylan Sageder and Tommy Drago bring playing experience but will it be enough? Is this where a potentially healthy Donny Scott plays?

Close Defense - the good news for the Orange is they bring back two exceptional poles in Riley Figuerias and Billy Dwan. Both should be rocks for the defense next year. Figeurias played about as well as a defender can these past two weeks of the season. Dwan is a threat in transition and also a phyical specimen. The question is the third open spot. The Orange bring back both Caden Kol and Nick Caccamo who flip flopped the position for most of the year. Neither one I would say ever took ownership of the position. If not at LSM does Grace make a home here? Nick Fraterrigo played a lot of minutes against Denver it looked like. Scott could also end up here as well, and the Orange bring in some intriguing freshmen in Cam Ryan and Dillon Stephens. Lots of options for the Orange, but it feels like they really need a third guy to emerge here and take over full time.

Goalie - The big question of the offseason is if Jimmy McCool is ready to take over for Will Mark? McCool is a former five star recruit. Luke Staudt, a two year starter for Loyola and a West Genny grad is still in the transfer portal. What are the coaches comfortable with? Mark was up and down this year, but when he was on he was very good. A good goalie can make all the different to a defense. Will the staff risk throwing a player with very little experience to the wolves, or will they reach out to a guy with two years playing experience? Should be very interesting to see how the staff attacks the offseason in regards to this position.

Okay, that was a lot. Just one last point to make while it's on my mind, but Gait needs to think long and hard about the schedule he wants next year. The landscape for next year should be all over the place, with so many good players moving on next year. I can't think of the last time the national title race was so wide open as next year will be. We saw some very good teams get left out of the tournament because they didn't win the RPI numbers game. Syracuse should have a very strong team next and needs to schedule appropriately. I would add at least one more Ivy League team, and one more from the Big Ten.

First of all, a big thank you to the seniors who depart the team this year. It's been a rough couple of years, and there is still a bitter taste for the way this year ended, but I hope they can see the growth and improvement this team has made in the last four years. From the bottom of 4-10 to a quarterfinals appearance is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Also a special thanks to the grad transfers who chose to spend their last year on the hill, helping a young but talented squad to the next level. Obviously the program isn't back to where we all want it to be, but this season can be used as important building block.

Next year's team should be very good, but there are still areas that need improvement. I just wanted to take a look at each position and see where things stand. Of course the big hope is that everyone that can come back, does. Fingers crossed on that front.

Attack: Things looks to be in good shape with the return of Joey Spallina and hopefully Owen Hiltz. Obviously the big question is who takes the third spot? The offense sputtered when Christian Mule struggled against dodging a short stick. Finding an attackman that will consistently draw an opposing long pole, and beat that pole, needs to be a priority for the offseason. Perhaps that player is someone on the team already (Michael Leo) or an incoming freshman (Payton Anderson). Spallina had a fantastic year numbers wise, but I haven't quite seen a player of his abilities struggle in the way that he did. It was all or nothing for him. What can he do in the offseason to improve? I am sure he will spend time doing box lacrosse, and I am sure that fast break pipe shot will motivate him this summer. But for the team to take that next step to greatness, it feels like he needs to play a lot better in big games. Hiltz coming back would be huge. It felt like when he had big games, the team played it's best. That said, he was not always consistent. It feels like if they add the right player to the attack line, the offense can really take off. That said, the "right" players don't just grow on trees.

Midfield: This should be the strength of the team next year, with five starters back, including the entire first midfield. Jake Stevens will be a huge loss of course, he was the best second line midfielder in the country last year and a bonified All American. He had no problem taking the ball to the rack and was as aggressive as they come. Who can replace his 36 points? If Leo is moved up to attack, it seems like the first line wouldn't miss much of a beat with Luke Rhoa moving up to the 1s. He doubled his point production from last year and would add an outside shooting presence that could add a wrinkle to the starting unit. Sam English returns to lead the group - if perhaps he doesn't have to play as much defense next year, can his offensive numbers improve? It just seemed like this years team asked too much of English. He's the midfields best dodger.

Finn Thomson shows endless possibilities, but I think a lot of us would love it if he showed a little more consistency and aggression. He shot the ball more this year, but his shooting % went from the 40s to the 20s. He needs to improve that. Can Jackson Birtwistle bounce back? He was such a force two years ago as a finisher and he just didn't have the same year this year. Perhaps he was battling injuries, but he went from 27 points two years ago to 14 this year. Finally, the wildcard for next year seems to be Payton Anderson, a top ten recruit who brings something this unit desperately needs - size and strength. What kind of impact will he have? Midfield is a difficult position for first year players to transition to, will he be up for it?

Face-off - big question is will Mason Kohn be back? I would personally be a bit surprised if he said yes to that, but perhaps he wants to make a playoff push next year. Law School is always going to be there Mason! If he does move on, Syracuse should have a good succession play in place with Johnny Mullen, who proved he could be a really good player for the Orange. It would still be a good feeling to know you had two solid guys, so if Kohn does move on, does the Orange have another player that can spell Mullen? Doesn't seem like a huge need in the grand scheme of things, but could bite the Orange if they aren't careful. Lastly, the face-off wing unit takes a hit with Stevens moving on, along with all the LSMs. English should be the primary short stick wing next year, but they need to restock this side of the field.

SSDM - the biggest offseason need for the Orange. Syracuse played a ton of guys here, but it was obvious this was the weak spot of the defense (outside of Carter Rice, who was fantastic). The good news is that Rice comes back and is about as good as they come. But he needs help. A defense is only as good as their weakest link. The Orange return a lot of guys with playing experience, but they all had their issues that I don't want to get into. The x-factor is if players like Max Rosa and Landon Clary come back from injury next year? If they do, how much can they be relied on (especially Clary)? I think it's paramount that SU brings in some help here in the transfer portal.

LSM - the Orange have a big hole here, that maybe isn't being talked about enough. Syracuse graduate their top 3 guys at this spot, including Saam Olexo, Matt Wright and Steven Schmitt. They bring in Mike Grace from RIT, and perhaps he moves into this position, but he played close for the Tigers. The Orange bring in Vincent Bologino as their lone LSM freshman, he's a four star but no idea if he would be ready to start or play a lot. Dylan Sageder and Tommy Drago bring playing experience but will it be enough? Is this where a potentially healthy Donny Scott plays?

Close Defense - the good news for the Orange is they bring back two exceptional poles in Riley Figuerias and Billy Dwan. Both should be rocks for the defense next year. Figeurias played about as well as a defender can these past two weeks of the season. Dwan is a threat in transition and also a phyical specimen. The question is the third open spot. The Orange bring back both Caden Kol and Nick Caccamo who flip flopped the position for most of the year. Neither one I would say ever took ownership of the position. If not at LSM does Grace make a home here? Nick Fraterrigo played a lot of minutes against Denver it looked like. Scott could also end up here as well, and the Orange bring in some intriguing freshmen in Cam Ryan and Dillon Stephens. Lots of options for the Orange, but it feels like they really need a third guy to emerge here and take over full time.

Goalie - The big question of the offseason is if Jimmy McCool is ready to take over for Will Mark? McCool is a former five star recruit. Luke Staudt, a two year starter for Loyola and a West Genny grad is still in the transfer portal. What are the coaches comfortable with? Mark was up and down this year, but when he was on he was very good. A good goalie can make all the different to a defense. Will the staff risk throwing a player with very little experience to the wolves, or will they reach out to a guy with two years playing experience? Should be very interesting to see how the staff attacks the offseason in regards to this position.

Okay, that was a lot. Just one last point to make while it's on my mind, but Gait needs to think long and hard about the schedule he wants next year. The landscape for next year should be all over the place, with so many good players moving on next year. I can't think of the last time the national title race was so wide open as next year will be. We saw some very good teams get left out of the tournament because they didn't win the RPI numbers game. Syracuse should have a very strong team next and needs to schedule appropriately. I would add at least one more Ivy League team, and one more from the Big Ten.
Obv hit the portal for ssdm (must) lsm (need) fo (wouldnt say no to it) and an offensive player ( would like another high end middie, with Leo and Anderson likely taking a starting attack position) Wouldn’t say no to a goalie case depending.

If you saw the press conference video, it sounds like Leo and BD3 and the rest of the Juniors-to-be are ready to step up as team leaders.

Yup, which is a great sign. There are a few guy who could potentially leave, need to wait and see what happens. Hard to keep everyone happy.

If you saw the press conference video, it sounds like Leo and BD3 and the rest of the Juniors-to-be are ready to step up as team leaders.

I doubt Clary and Rosa play next year. Clarys injuries are extensive and I was told Rosa has a job in NY city.

I doubt Clary and Rosa play next year. Clarys injuries are extensive and I was told Rosa has a job in NY city.

Had heard Rosa was considering coming back, sounds like he is likely to move on though if he has a job lined up. Wish him the best but would have been nice to get a veteran presence back. No idea on Clary as you noted injury is a major concern.

who was the top 6 guy rumored to be hitting the portal? thomson? for what its worth, i have not heard anything to that effect...

if he DOES...im sure michigan would be interested as he was committed there originally...probably hop too as he's best friends with matt collison and they could use the help...

but i havent heard anything about that and i think i would have if it were true

While I understand with the emotions after a tough loss that the instinct is to say we need to go to the portal for everything that did not work against Denver, in the big picture ssdm/wing type defensive athletes is the big gap we need to focus on, despite only allowing 10 yesterday. SSDM was the most consistent problem through the entire season. Excuse some lengthy spitballing here.

People on twitter (Evan Molloy, Steve Panarelli) are calling for us to portal athletic dodgers. The thing is we do have "athletic dodgers" in the offense, but a running theme this year is that the middies (aside from Leo) all struggled with their shooting on the run and outside shooting. Rhoa Stevens and English, who are all without question athletic dodgers that draw slides, all ended the year below 30% shooting. Rhoa, as good of a shooter as he looks when he is on, was very hot and cold this season, and had 2 or 3 solid looks yesterday where we could have really used a goal on at least one, but he missed them all, often wildly. He finished the year at 26%. Athleticism was not the main issue.

Last year on man up we had Alex Simmons doing a lot of the operating from the top position. This year we had Stevens there and he is simply not reliable enough as an outside shooter. Inconsistent inside as well, as we unfortunately saw yesterday. Simmons could move the ball super well while also cranking it from the outside at a good clip. Man down defenses had to respect his outside shot. Think it was a mistake that we did not recognize that issue and continue to experiment with the man up lineup, including maybe trying things with Kellog again. Hate to rag on Stevens who is an elite talent provided so much for us this season, but he was not perfect in all areas of offense. An "athletic dodger", a monster on the wing, but not reliable enough as a shooter.

English Thomson and Leo I think the pros all outweigh the cons with what we saw from them at middie this year. Guys like Rhoa and Birtwistle are in a spot where they will need to either improve or get passed by. Shooting percentages in the 20s and only 3 assists between them (which would be less of a problem if their shot% was higher). They should be on thin ice.

Guys like Deere and Kellog still have potential to fit in with our offense, despite not being "athletic dodgers". We should not just abandon ship on the looks we create off of pick plays and feeding ability because of one game where things fell short, with quite a few blown finishes. Those type of looks are what got us to where we were in the tourney. Guys like Mule Rhoa and Birtwistle disappointed down the stretch. Maybe I am a hopeless optimist but I do not think we need to rethink everything with our offensive concepts. Getting Mr. Speedy Alley Dodger from the portal is not an instant answer unless they ALSO have a reliable shot and ALSO ALSO are willing passers with high quality stick skills that buy into our concepts. Our stable of offensive athletes who draw slides is far down on my list of concerns, especially with things like Anderson arriving next season and Hottle potentially moving back to offense.

who was the top 6 guy rumored to be hitting the portal? thomson? for what its worth, i have not heard anything to that effect...

if he DOES...im sure michigan would be interested as he was committed there originally...probably hop too as he's best friends with matt collison and they could use the help...

but i havent heard anything about that and i think i would have if it were true
Gary certainly showed a lot of faith in him after a very rough start to the season. I assume they have a good relationship.

Gary certainly showed a lot of faith in him after a very rough start to the season. I assume they have a good relationship.
Thomson had some big games and clutch moments in the later half of the season. Showed more maturity as the season went on and like you say Gary never gave up on him, which paid off. See no reason why he would be anything but locked into a starting middie spot along with English next season. If he bounces it would not be because of playing time, unless he is totally deadset on playing attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom