Practice report? | Syracusefan.com

Practice report?

Flacusian

All Conference
It's been a week now since MM. We still have 11 days to go before the 1st Exhibition game with Pace. I'd like nothing more at this point to come on the board and see a practice report. Anyone out there that's been able to attend a practice and give us their impressions of what they've seen? Thanks in advance for anyone who can come through with one.

Great... and where exactly, is that?

1. Must demonstrate eagerness to support 'Cuse in all things sports and academics
2. Must reach trophy points of minimally 4,250
3. Must have 200 likes or more
4. Must Not be a poster on any other Orange site
5. Obtain 3 recommendations from those with trophy points of 4,250 points

and finally...you are anointed to the pay side and cough/cough $73/yr.

Unfortunately, we have so few pay side members that it really isn't worth being on it!
So enjoy posting and reading here...we got some very good insiders right here...and it is better information and its FREE!!!!

Seems like the last practice report I read said that Josh Pace has a new jump shot.

Seems like the last practice report I read said that Josh Pace has a new jump shot.
Its VERY difficult to get into Melo center, unlike Manley, when you could just walk in, sit down and watch.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

its been tough not being able to go to practice. this breaks my string of 37 straight years. maybe this will bring them luck

It sounds as if it's as difficult to get onto the pay side as it is to get into the Melo Center... Sigh, the gulf between the actual game, the players, and the fans is ever widening. It was really great back when we would get practice reports.

The Post Standard, even though they post some articles of interest, don't satiate the appetite of a rabid fan. The depth of the articles is more targeted toward the casual College Basketball Fan and not for die hard fans who have some semblance of the intricacies of the game.

This years team IMO really has the potential to be the best team we've had in a long time. The talent, along with the seemingly huge propensity to develop over the course of the season really have me excited about them. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves as the season unfolds. If it weren't for the internet, being 1200 miles away from Syracuse would be unbearable during the season.

It sounds as if it's as difficult to get onto the pay side as it is to get into the Melo Center... Sigh, the gulf between the actual game, the players, and the fans is ever widening. It was really great back when we would get practice reports.

The Post Standard, even though they post some articles of interest, don't satiate the appetite of a rabid fan. The depth of the articles is more targeted toward the casual College Basketball Fan and not for die hard fans who have some semblance of the intricacies of the game.

This years team IMO really has the potential to be the best team we've had in a long time. The talent, along with the seemingly huge propensity to develop over the course of the season really have me excited about them. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves as the season unfolds. If it weren't for the internet, being 1200 miles away from Syracuse would be unbearable during the season.

It is important to note that 'Cuse has gone STEALTH for a variety of reasons the least of which is the ever present troll trying to get information to be used against the new 'Cuse M-M. Additionally, it has been pointed out that a higher cost to enter the paid site, including but not inclusive of number of posts and likes, is necessary to keep novices and trolls out of our jock straps...we recommend that all who cannot reach the paid site continue to gain favor by posting here...and someone will let you know when you have made the step necessary to join our fraternity...even women such as CTO have completed the bball task of making it into this honored group...I for one am pouring another Jack and Coke and taking time to reflect on the above.

This years team IMO really has the potential to be the best team we've had in a long time.

Really. In the last 3 years we had 2 teams ranked # 1, seeded as #1 seeds, and but for injury and academics, very strong canidates for final fours. How much better can this team be? Who on this team is better at their positions than Fab, AO, KJo, Wes, Andy, or Dion? No one.

Really. In the last 3 years we had 2 teams ranked # 1, seeded as #1 seeds, and but for injury and academics, very strong canidates for final fours. How much better can this team be? Who on this team is better at their positions than Fab, AO, KJo, Wes, Andy, or Dion? No one.
Read carefully Capt. I said "potential" . Starting out they certainly have a long way to go. Attaining a #1 ranking, as nice as it is, doesn't necessarily equate into end of season success. Who on this team would you project has a high probability to be declared academically ineligible when things matter most? Fab was a loose cannon and when it really counted... I feel pretty good about the promise of the players we have right now and would wager that they will be more valuable at seasons end rather than being a liability, distraction, and disappointment.

I certainly don't mean to detract from the fantastic teams we've recently had.

The point I was trying to make is that over the course of the season this group of players has the potential to be something quite special. Do you not think that Dajuan Coleman does not have the capacity to be the equal of AO? Perhaps not his freshman year but I'd be willing to bet that he is much further along in develpment than AO was at this stage of his career. Triche and MCW have the potential to certainly be the equal of the previous seasons.

I would bet that this group loses more games than the previous 2 years but by years end they could be even better than last years team was...

A lot of potential, for sure.

The uncertainty for me is in the guards. With Scoop's departure, we are now in an era where fewer guards will stay around long (Cooney will - probably). If there's more frequent turnover, then the idea that SU has an advantage over the Kentuckys might be limited to the big men to some degree.

Might still capture lightning in a bottle, though.

I disagree with your comment:

1. Melo let down his team - anybody will be an upgrade.

2. DC will be better than AO, though, of course if you are comparing DC as a frosh to AO as a senior, that isn't quite fair.

3. CJ's game is different than KJOs, but he may well end up being just as good.

4. Wes - agree, nobody in sight will be as good as Wes.

5. Andy - Cooney may well end up being close to an Andy clone if he can play good D.

6. Dion - nobody has Dion's game, but MCW has a shot to be as good or better as a player & PG is a more important position than SG.

7. Depth - we haven't even added James, Brandon, X, and BMK to this conversation.

I think this team will be very good, probably Top Ten good & any Top Ten team has a legit shot to make the FF if it gets some breaks and stays injury free.

1. Melo let down his team - anybody will be an upgrade.

2. DC will be better than AO, though, of course if you are comparing DC as a frosh to AO as a senior, that isn't quite fair.

3. CJ's game is different than KJOs, but he may well end up being just as good.

5. Andy - Cooney may well end up being close to an Andy clone if he can play good D.

6. Dion - nobody has Dion's game, but MCW has a shot to be as good or better as a player & PG is a more important position than SG.

7. Depth - we haven't even addes James, Brandon, X, and BMK to thos conversation.

I think this team will be very good, probably Top Ten good & any Top Ten team has a legit shot to make the FF if it gets some breaks and stays injury free.

Depth won't be as good. We could go ten deep last year (we chose not to toward late March, but we could and did earlier in the year). We don't even have ten recruited players this season.

I can think of two guys who might be better at their position than Joseph was at his. We should see evidence of that in about ten days.

1. Melo let down his team - anybody will be an upgrade. - You comparing past performance with prospective performance. To be better than the most recent team, he will have to perfom as well, or nearly as well as Melo did.

You compared this year's team to recent teams. To be better than that team, he will have to perfom as well, or nearly as well as AO did as a senior. The question was not who will be better as a senior. That's a different question.

3. CJ's game is different than KJOs, but he may well end up being just as good. Maybe, maybe not. KJ was a very, very good player his last 3 years.

5. Andy - Cooney may well end up being close to an Andy clone if he can play good D. Really. This year Cooney will be a 2nd round NBA draft pick. Your supposition was that this team could be THE BEST in recent years. To do that, he would have to play like a JR. or Sr. Andy. I don't see that as a RS frosh., and I am a HUGE Cooney fan and think that people are wrong is thinking of him solely as a shooter. He is a good athlete, maybe better than Andy at the same point in time. Whether or not his is the player Andy was above the shoulders remains to be seen.

6. Dion - nobody has Dion's game, but MCW has a shot to be as good or better as a player & PG is a more important position than SG. Who says it's more important, especially in JB's system. ( I know that they are all time greats, but pick Jordan or BJ Armstrong, Kobe or Derek Fisher. Having great players is the most important, thing not their position. ) Plus, he would have to have a better year than Scoop. Not saying he isn't projected to be a better pro talent than Scoop, but Scoop had a really, really good year last year. Your prediction is based on a projection is that MCW will be play to a #4 pick level this year.

7. Depth - we haven't even added James, Brandon, X, and BMK to this conversation. We had all 4 guys last year. The only one I see being substanially better is X. ( I would note that I am not sold on James as a regular contibutor on a high level. I really hope that I am wrong about that.) +

We can be good, andy maybe top ten worth, but my point was the hyperbole about being our best team in recent years would mean that would have to almost have to go undefeated and win every game by 10+ points. We have had two GREAT teams in the preceeding 3 years. Not good teams, GREAT teams, with guys having GREAT seasons.

Just one guy's opinion.

We can be good, andy maybe top ten worth, but my point was the hyperbole about being our best team in recent years would mean that would have to almost have to go undefeated and win every game by 10+ points. We have had two GREAT teams in the preceeding 3 years. Not good teams, GREAT teams, with guys having GREAT seasons.

Just one guy's opinion.
Who writes in pink?... Sally.

Just one guy's opinion.
Every squad has a blend of upperclassmen, lower classmen, and frosh. You seem to be saying that the current teams's blended classes are not as good as the senior year's (or draft years) of the players that you mentioned. That is true, but I do not believe each of the players you names played together as seniors or in their NBA draft years as the case might be on the same squad. That is the flaw in your logic.

In my post I try to generalize the levels/potential levels of the players names and assume that the overall blend will "average" out. You may not see eye to eye with that approach, and maybe you want to do a year by year comparo to a given squad, which would certainly also be a fair comparative perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom