Practice versus games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Practice versus games

The same could be said for playing guys that try hard all the time but have a mental block and can not compete in high pressure situations right?

Bottom line is I think you can look at it both ways. There are some players that just do not get amped up about practice. Repetitive, going up against the same guys, there is not winner or loser, nothing to push you. It takes a lot of self motivation to go hard in practice.

It is easy to get that motivation in a game. You are competing against other players, to win (some people hate losing, in front of fans, there is a lot of adrenaline to push you and get you going. You don’t need to create that self motivation.

The he opposite can also be said for some players. They can self motivate and go harder then everyone at practice. But ultimately practice doesn’t matter so they play free’er. They don’t have that pressure of winning and losing or the crowd going bonkers or silent. They have none of that pressure going against them and it is easy to perform without any of these distractions. These same players could absolutely fold in game situations. The pressure feels overwhelming. They are constantly tense, do not make the proper decisions. Thinking too much when they shoot which affects there release.

Really people can spin this every which way and everyone will believe they are right. I can honestly say that I have seen every single one of these types of players growing up playing sports and watching sports. I may not see practice but you hear someone is lightning it up in practice or doing well in preseason and then it never transfers over to the games. Or the guy that doesn’t practice well that shines when he gets playing time. Bottom line is every player is different and there are players that are poor practicers no matter what buttons you push (for example Allen iverson). Not everyone is an Allen iverson obviously, but as I said. There is examples of every type of these players.
I think for coaches, you judge but what you see in practice. And if a guy is sitting because he isn't giving it all in practice, and he knows that is why, then he shouldn't play.

Not so sure, some guys dont get motivated by practice saw it in high school sports and college baseball. Some guys go hard all the time and what they do in practice is the same as the game. Playing golf can tell you many guys play way better if a “game” is on. Competition versus practice.
If a young, unproven player, in particular, isn’t going to give max effort in practice, then a coach has no compelling reason to play him. No coach is going to trust someone with meaningful minutes if they only know them as someone who dogs it in practice.

This is what we’re talking about here. This isn’t John Wallace in his senior year not giving it his all in a random January practice. This is about underclassmen who need to prove themselves.

Specific to SU hoops, I have no clue if Edwards, Newton, Braswell, etc. are dogging it in practice. If they have been, then that’s on them.

This is required for any thread of this type
An all timer, no doubt. One of the most unique players ever. Led the league in scoring 4 times and willed some very under-talented philly teams to the playoffs.......but they talking about......practice.

That is fine. But I play the guys that give it to me 100% of the time. Practice included.
I play the guys that help me win. So you want guys in practice diving for a loose ball, risking injury, giving a hard foul? Any athlete knows that game speed is very different and cant simulate it without adrenalin, refs, bad calls, an opponent that you don’t know. some guys are just gamers and you don’t know until you see them under pressure and in a game. Taking it further some guys are clutch and some guys choke. Everyone can play at the driving range or hit FTs in practice.

If anyone should have come off the bench in that team it should have been Scoop anyway.
The year before I agree, that season Scoop was like a totally different player and such a good point guard. Triche should’ve gotten the lesser of the minutes IMO. That said he’s probably better than any other guard we’ve had here since mcw lol

If a young, unproven player, in particular, isn’t going to give max effort in practice, then a coach has no compelling reason to play him. No coach is going to trust someone with meaningful minutes if they only know them as someone who dogs it in practice.

This is what we’re talking about here. This isn’t John Wallace in his senior year not giving it his all in a random January practice. This is about underclassmen who need to prove themselves.

Specific to SU hoops, I have no clue if Edwards, Newton, Braswell, etc. are dogging it in practice. If they have been, then that’s on them.
I watch those three, in particular, play in games and I question how all of them would dog it in practice.

Newton specifically. He is a high-motor guy and his defense was a bright spot early in the year. His shooting has not been good after his COVID pause, but his movement on the defensive end was impressive enough to lead anyone to believe that he would do the same in practice.

Again, I have no idea -- I'm not at practice. But the way they play in games, and try to seize the opportunity, it would strike me as weird if all of them were slacking off in practice.

I might also take it one step further and suggest that if they were dogging it in practice, then someone on the coaching staff should probably tell them that the only way they will play in the game is if they give it their all.

On the flip side, Griffin doesn't exactly strike me as someone that gives 100% in practice all of the time. Again, based on what we see on the court during games. Yet he still starts.

Finally, if Griffin doesn't give it his all during games on one end of the court (that much is clear), then why should practice be the determining factor? Aren't games more important?

Seems to me the "things JB says" argument holds a lot of water here. But again, impossible to know since we don't see practice. Which also gives JB the ability to craft whatever narrative he wants. And amplifies any fan's suspicion that he has lost his way as it relates to development of young players and roster management.

Seems to me the "things JB says" argument holds a lot of water here. But again, impossible to know since we don't see practice. Which also gives JB the ability to craft whatever narrative he wants. And amplifies any fan's suspicion that he has lost his way as it relates to development of young players and roster management.
I agree. For say, Newton, if he wasn't practicing well, then how did he get into those early season games to begin with? Maybe he got COVID and has been practicing poorly ever since? Maybe?

Who knows what subjective criteria JB is using to rationalize his practice arguments. It could all be nonsense.

That is fine. But I play the guys that give it to me 100% of the time. Practice included.
That makes complete sense. You can't not do that.

But, even if that were JB's creed, he finds other nonsensical ways to negate that kind of logic or standard.

Every time he punitively yanks a player because of a 'mistake,' he's saying he'd rather punish the player and the team than continue to play the guy he had already decided gives the team the best chance of winning.

Prime example: A couple of games ago, Quincy made a stupid mistake in passing the ball behind him, off his heel and out of bounds. JB yanked him. A player we kinda need. But, JB felt it was best to punish the kid for that mistake which would never happen again. As if that was a 'teachable moment.' As if Q on the bench for those few minutes didn't compromise the team. As if Q were a freshman who hadn't already been properly indoctrinated into the 'standards' of boeheimball.

I understand what your saying. But sometimes the guys that are more talented get bored in practice and don’t need to go 100%. Talent always wins out.
You can't 'reward' a conscious lack of involvement and hustle. Maybe you indulge a superstar. But, we don't have any superstars.

That makes complete sense. You can't not do that.

But, even if that were JB's creed, he finds other nonsensical ways to negate that kind of logic or standard.

Every time he punitively yanks a player because of a 'mistake,' he's saying he'd rather punish the player and the team than continue to play the guy he had already decided gives the team the best chance of winning.

Prime example: A couple of games ago, Quincy made a stupid mistake in passing the ball behind him, off his heel and out of bounds. JB yanked him. A player we kinda need. But, JB felt it was best to punish the kid for that mistake which would never happen again. As if that was a 'teachable moment.' As if Q on the bench for those few minutes didn't compromise the team. As if Q were a freshman who hadn't already been properly indoctrinated into the 'standards' of boeheimball.
I would have taken him out as well. It sends a terrible message to the rest of the team if you don't. A mistake is one thing. A moronic blunder is another. He had to come out imho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom