Practices | Syracusefan.com

Practices

SBU72

All Conference
JB says that the guys who practice well, play. I believe the public isn't allowed in, so nobody here can say who is practicing much less how well. I mentioned in another thread about how an announcer a few games ago said GMac told him that they are not allowed to do "team" excercises (maybe to cut down on physical contact? ). They are only allowed 1on1 and position instructions. Does anybody know if this is a conference mandate or a NYS restriction. I believe the 14 pause that JB complained about is a state thing and why he asked for some relief from that. The feeble point is if JB uses the practice criteria for playing time, then its pretty hard to say who is practicing well even while seeing it.

Looking for informative responses not snipes at JB.

JB says that the guys who practice well, play. I believe the public isn't allowed in, so nobody here can say who is practicing much less how well. I mentioned in another thread about how an announcer a few games ago said GMac told him that they are not allowed to do "team" excercises (maybe to cut down on physical contact? ). They are only allowed 1on1 and position instructions. Does anybody know if this is a conference mandate or a NYS restriction. I believe the 14 pause that JB complained about is a state thing and why he asked for some relief from that. The feeble point is if JB uses the practice criteria for playing time, then its pretty hard to say who is practicing well even while seeing it.

I think it was more that the assistants, who normally like to put the shorts and sneakers on and compete in drills or scrimmages with the players, have been instructed not to do that and run the drills and scrimages from a distance on the sidelines. I think the team still scrimmages as normal I believe.

I can't imagine the state could mandate that.

It's a great question that I doubt we will ever know the real answer to. How do the second stringers show out in practice if they are all teamed up together? Or do they mix the teams up? If Woody is expected to show more than other forwards while receiving passes from Chaz Owens, is that really an objective means to test his abilities?

It's a great question that I doubt we will ever know the real answer to. How do the second stringers show out in practice if they are all teamed up together? Or do they mix the teams up? If Woody is expected to show more than other forwards while receiving passes from Chaz Owens, is that really an objective means to test his abilities?

Woody would likely get some run with Kadary. Coaches look at the players being where they need to be, more so than the result of the play. If you make a nice cut to get open and Chaz doesn’t get you the ball, that wouldn’t count against you.

I have no intimate knowledge that that’s how the coaches judge the players but that’s how it was in every sport I played, with largely incompetent coaches (compared to D1 professional coaches).

Woody would likely get some run with Kadary. Coaches look at the players being where they need to be, more so than the result of the play. If you make a nice cut to get open and Chaz doesn’t get you the ball, that wouldn’t count against you.

I have no intimate knowledge that that’s how the coaches judge the players but that’s how it was in every sport I played, with largely incompetent coaches (compared to D1 professional coaches).
Yeah, I hear you and I expect it would be that way under normal circumstances. At least hope it is that way. Covid probably adds some additional factors I'm not thinking of right now.

Not everyone is a great practice player. Some guys thrive under pressure and step it up only in competition no matter how hard they work in practice. Some are great in practice but wilt when pressured. Any teams that put hands or bodies on Buddy seem to mess with his head even when he's open. Buddy probably doesn't see a lot of contact in practice. Joe on the other hand seems to have more of a killer attitude that leads to unwise decisions in games that probably aren't seen in practice.
Not happening but I wish JB would see when things aren't working and try some of the players who aren't perfect in practice. Every physical team we play shuts Doley and Buddy down. Jesse might have been able to slow down the dunk festival the other night and maybe AG could have produced a little more at the 2 with Bras at the 3.
Maybe some players don't look great in practice but sometimes you need to mix things up.

Not everyone is a great practice player. Some guys thrive under pressure and step it up only in competition no matter how hard they work in practice. Some are great in practice but wilt when pressured. Any teams that put hands or bodies on Buddy seem to mess with his head even when he's open. Buddy probably doesn't see a lot of contact in practice. Joe on the other hand seems to have more of a killer attitude that leads to unwise decisions in games that probably aren't seen in practice.
Not happening but I wish JB would see when things aren't working and try some of the players who aren't perfect in practice. Every physical team we play shuts Doley and Buddy down. Jesse might have been able to slow down the dunk festival the other night and maybe AG could have produced a little more at the 2 with Bras at the 3.
Maybe some players don't look great in practice but sometimes you need to mix things up.
Several years ago, way before your time judging by your post count, had a player who was great at forward. 6'10", good shot, looked fantastic in practices by all accounts but did zip, zero, notta during games. He was in the lineup like 5 games, then ended at the end of bench and out the doo by the summer

Several years ago, way before your time judging by your post count, had a player who was great at forward. 6'10", good shot, looked fantastic in practices by all accounts but did zip, zero, notta during games. He was in the lineup like 5 games, then ended at the end of bench and out the doo by the summer
Chuck Gelatte?

Chuck Gelatte?
Had to look it up, Ethan Cole, 2001-02 nope wasn't him.

He was the original big man who wouldn't go near a rebound. Came innwith another big man.

Last edited:
Had to look it up, Ethan Cole, 2001-02 nope wasn't him.

He was the original big man who wouldn't go near a rebound. Came innwith another big man.

Gotta be Mark Konecny or Eric Williams.

I've been on here as long as you and a fan for many years prior. I just don't post a lot.

Gotta be Mark Konecny or Eric Williams.
I think Konecny was the guy I had in mind. Looked up his "stats". I had forgotten he left school so early for personal reasons. What more or less confirms it for me was that he bounced around to a lot of schools (4) ending up at a community college, never living up to Player of the Year in Connecticut in hs. He was the favorite of one of the older posters here who blamed JB everytime a kid failed to make it. He always took one kid a year to promote as the best in the recruiting class (always the lowest rated one) and thus blamed his lack of accomplishments on the coach. That guy originate the term "tavern league zone"

I really hate the way Woody has just disappeared. He was great defensively at the top of that zone, showed great wingspan and lateral quickness. And he can seriously hit a three ball. What's not to like about a 6-8 guard??

Buddy or Joe have had enough nights where sitting them 4 freaking minutes to give other guys some experience wouldn't have cost us a single game.

I think Konecny was the guy I had in mind. Looked up his "stats". I had forgotten he left school so early for personal reasons. What more or less confirms it for me was that he bounced around to a lot of schools (4) ending up at a community college, never living up to Player of the Year in Connecticut in hs. He was the favorite of one of the older posters here who blamed JB everytime a kid failed to make it. He always took one kid a year to promote as the best in the recruiting class (always the lowest rated one) and thus blamed his lack of accomplishments on the coach. That guy originate the term "tavern league zone"

I remember a talent scout one summer saying about him, "He's either going to be Tom Gugliotta, or he's going to be a bust. It's up to his mindset." Excellent call.

From photos and videos of practices over the years, I don’t think this is how they do it. They seem to mix and match players into teams.

Its coach speak. They all use it.

From photos and videos of practices over the years, I don’t think this is how they do it. They seem to mix and match players into teams.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom