Pre North Carolina Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pre North Carolina Thoughts

My goodness, I know some folks have complained about the off-topic, flaky back and forth conversations (I've been using the ignore more lately now that I know how it works), posts like these are unbelievably informative.

Once again, I salute the General!

General I am so glad you pointed out how UNC has had favorable matchups in their 3 big wins. I have called that out with much less dexterity and you again have provided the kind of analysis and espn analyst could only dream of writing:).

I just want to add that from a gut feeling perspective this just feels like our year. We have had so many near misses due to off court stuff or last years long runs falling short. For once it just seems like we have the "it" team for a change. The two games we should have lost we have guttted out. These are the kinda things we saw in 03 forget the rankings and who was on the court.

The game tomorrow poses primarily a risk due to a noon start and having a team that likes to play helter skelter fast break hoops. If we dont come out energized it could let unc make it a sloppy up and down game early. Otherwise if we come out ready.. I think we overwhelm them in the 2nd half after a fairly close first.

Just interrupted a dinner out with friends saying "General just posted his UNC preview. Be right back."

Best decision I made all night and the sea bass was excellent.

Thanks!

I guess the next question is where did you eat?

"and 73 others like this..."

I think that's the highest number I've seen. You definitely think up to the lavel of any competition!

My memory, not always as accurate as I would like, tells me that, in the NC game against Roy's Jayhawks, JB employed the exact strategy you describe. I was fearful before the game of Kansas' transition game and once the game started, noted that we were willing to give up the boards to get back on defense. Anyone else recall it the same way?
Also, thanks General for you comments on the 'psychological' explanation of 'playing down to the competition'. Can't tell you how much I have always hated that weak explanation that tries to pass for analysis.

My memory, not always as accurate as I would like, tells me that, in the NC game against Roy's Jayhawks, JB employed the exact strategy you describe. I was fearful before the game of Kansas' transition game and once the game started, noted that we were willing to give up the boards to get back on defense. Anyone else recall it the same way?
Also, thanks General for you comments on the 'psychological' explanation of 'playing down to the competition'. Can't tell you how much I have always hated that weak explanation that tries to pass for analysis.

Kansas was very good that year--and they killed teams in transition. If you watch that NC game, you'll see how much effort our kids expended getting back on defense to force them to play half court.

Good comparison.

thCA96CM60.jpg

Thank you! This will have me watching the game differently than before and increase my enjoyment.

I hope Coleman can go today. It would give us 50% more fouls to give on UNC offensive boards. I would much rather send them to the line than give them easy put backs.

Great write up General, thanks a lot!

Great post as always General. Lots of good and spot on analysis and a lot of good for thought. The coach in me does disagree with one thing you said, and JB would probably say the same in private. But kids do sometimes play up or down to their competition. It's mental focus. It's natural sometimes. Sometimes you can play a far weaker team (even if only in perception) and you don't come out as focused as you should. The other team will sometimes gain some confidence and your team sometimes starts "pressing". Then it's a game and it shouldn't be on paper. Coaches try to avoid it with ore game speeches and warnings, but sometimes kids just come out overconfident and aren't focused enough to do the things they should be doing and applying maximum effort.

Do you see what I am getting at here?

Michigan St. ALWAYS crashes the offensive glass hard.

Michigan St. NEVER changes what they do because of the opponent.

Another very specific example of Izzo's outright refusal to adjust pretty much anything.

On inbounds underneath defensive plays, he always has the man defending the inbounds with his back to the ball. I've seen this happen a lot vs. them.

Actually, General's post is the type of post that used to be reserved for the pay side. :p

Cheers,
Neil

Rubbing it in, huh Neil? ;) Now that I can actually afford to join a Pay Side, there is no Pay Side. It hurts. Deeply. For once, I just want to be part of the "in crowd"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom