Predict 2017-2018 Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Predict 2017-2018 Season

Based on the team as it is currently constructed predict the outcome of the 2017-2018 team

• NCAA Tournament and Sweet Sixteen or better

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • NCAA Tournament First Round Exit

• NIT

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Sub .500 and no NIT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since the class rankings/projections may affect the opinion of those voting I figured I'd share this here too:

The following is a list compiled from 2 4 7. I used this site because I listed Oshae Brissett as 3 stars earlier in this thread and it was brought to my attention that this site lists him at 4 stars (it did not in the class rankings portion of their website). It is one of many recruiting sites which rank classes. I had to choose one for consistency. I did not include every school in the top 45, but tried to include a good portion of the ACC, some former Big East schools, and a non P5 school, all of which finished ahead of us. Here are my findings:

4) Duke - 5 star recruits (2), 4 star (1), 3 star (1) Class average: 95.33
7) Louisville - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (3), 3 star (0) Class average: 95.71
8) Miami - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average: 95.22
9) Xavier - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 92.70
10) Western Kentucky - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 92.70
14) Va Tech - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average:94.99
15)North Carolina - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 90.88
16) Providence - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average: 94.92
20) Creighton - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (3), 3 star (0) Class average: 95.12
24) Villanova - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average: 93.77
25) Florida St - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (4) Class average: 90.53
39) Seton Hall - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (3) Class average: 89.95
41) Wake Forest - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (2) Class average: 85.95
44) Clemson - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (3) Class average: 90.22
*****62) Syracuse - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (0), 3 star (3) Class average: 88.92

Granted the class is not complete, and we are awaiting Tucker's announcement... but this paints a REALLY ugly picture. I certainly hope we can pick it up, but it's been a LONG time since the likes of Creighton, Western Kentucky, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Seton Hall, Wake Forest, and Clemson out recruited us. It is certainly cause for concern.

I picked NIT

No experienced guards with 3 or 4 years of experience like years past when we were successful. Sorry, guys, I'm feeling nothing but extreme pessimism this year. Too much disruption. Too much uncertainty with JB retiring. The University should find a new future HOF coach from a successful D1 program, some young guy, and make him the highest paid coach in CBB. It's all about branding. And the recent recruiting failures are a bad sign. The sooner we have the potential to right the ship the better.

This says it all:

41) Wake Forest - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (2) Class average: 85.95
44) Clemson - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (1), 3 star (3) Class average: 90.22
*****62) Syracuse - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (0), 3 star (3) Class average: 88.92

Rutgers probably had a better recruiting year.

We are about to witness the worse record in JB's career. You can make me eat crow the end of March and I will gladly do so.

CBB game has changed in recent years. D1 players are much better 3-point shooters than in the past. I'm not sure the 2-3 zone is cutting it anymore. Maybe we need 3-2 zone instead. I don't know.

I just want to reiterate that I chose 2 4 7 for rankings because it was pointed out to me that OB was listed as 4 stars there. I was trying to pick the site that would give the SU recruits the best rankings. 2 4 7 does list him at 4 stars but their composite rankings do not. For consistency I had to keep OB at 3 stars or else I would be cherry picking. When conducting research one cannot selectively pick the results that he/she wants to see to support their case, and be objective at the same time.

Last edited:
I just want to reiterate that I chose 2 4 7 for rankings because it was pointed out to me that OB was listed as 4 stars there. I was trying to pick the site that would give the SU recruits the best rankings. 2 4 7 does list him at 4 stars but their composite rankings do not. For consistency I had to keep OB at 3 stars or else I would be cherry picking. When conducting research one cannot selectively pick the results that he/she wants to see to support their case, and be objective at the same time.
Depends on how you want the results to come out. :p

Depends on how you want the results to come out. :p

I've been trying very hard since the Hughes thread a few days ago to be very factual, civil, and not post opinion. And when I do share my opinion now I make sure I specify that it's a opinion. I think it will make life easier. The censorship has actually forced me to become that much more thoughtful and work that much harder to ensure I am non biased when sharing. This is a good thing. ;)

Maybe im way to optimistic but i like this team. Size that can run. Great looking athletes for the zone. Chewy is going to surprise Washington ends up being really solid. The one wild card is Frank. IF and that is a huge if he can find his game we have a chance to be good.
Chewy: 7'2. 5
TT: 6'11. 4
OB: 6'9. 3
Battle: 6'6. 2
FH: 6'5. 1

That is NBA size. The zone could be really tuff. Add in Moyer 6'8 and Sidbe 6'11 Washington 6'3 and this team is big. We need to run and force take the ball to the hole. Frank is the key.

Maybe im way to optimistic but i like this team. Size that can run. Great looking athletes for the zone. Chewy is going to surprise Washington ends up being really solid. The one wild card is Frank. IF and that is a huge if he can find his game we have a chance to be good.

That is NBA size. The zone could be really tuff. Add in Moyer 6'8 and Sidbe 6'11 Washington 6'3 and this team is big. We need to run and force take the ball to the hole. Frank is the key.

Yeah chewy on the court with another guy who plays the post and 2 other non shooters is a recipe for success? The half court offense will be abysmal.

We haven't run since Triche graduated and MCW was a lottery pick because we can't rebound and teams just slow tempo on us.

What is Chukwu going to do to surprise? To me, I'll be surprised if he's getting 5-10 minutes a game come ACC play. I just don't think we can afford playing him big minutes when he's not an offensive threat and has yet to prove he's any kind of disrupter on D.

If FH is somehow a good PG this year, we'll have a shot to make some noise. I think that's a lot to ask, though.

Ask this again once the roster is finalized. Its sort of pointless right now as we have an incomplete team. SU is adding players its just a matter of which ones.

Exactly right jordoo. There is no way to gauge this team until we see exactly what this team consists of.

Who cares about NBA size. It's what you do with it?

Yes there is a joke in there.

Since the class rankings/projections may affect the opinion of those voting I figured I'd share this here too:

4) Duke - 5 star recruits (2), 4 star (1), 3 star (1) Class average: 95.33
7) Louisville - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (3), 3 star (0) Class average: 95.71
8) Miami - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average: 95.22
9) Xavier - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 92.70
10) Western Kentucky - 5 star recruits (1), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 92.70
14) Va Tech - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (1) Class average:94.99
15)North Carolina - 5 star recruits (0), 4 star (2), 3 star (3) Class average: 90.88

Did some kids get lost on the way to Lexington. How the heck did Western Kentucky pull this off?

Just gauging the level of optimism, pessimism and realism on the board right now... have at it.

more wins than expected

With the current roster as is...I don't see where any scoring comes from outside of Battle n TT. Sorry to say, but it'll be a losing season. Literally, have ONE decent outside shooter in Battle. All teams have to do is pack in a zone on us. Gonna be some real ugly offense, especially considering we don't really even run an offense. Let's take off the orange shades for a minute... throw some BC or Rutgers jerseys on these guys, and you'd all be thinking losing season. If they go above .500 in non-conf play... I'd call it exceeding expectations.

According to CBS there's 5 teams in the ACC in the top 14 in the country. That doesn't include VPI or UVA. Both who are better than us is for sure.

You didn't hear? Season got cancelled because a we have lost or may lose recruiting battles to Duke and Kentucky. 0-31!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom