Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday - Pregame / Postgame and Weekend Articles | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday Pregame / Postgame and Weekend Articles

Syracuse Battles But Comes Up Short vs. FSU, 38-20 (Cuse.com)

rp_primary_linesclash.jpeg

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 2m
Tim Lester on play-calling: "The first drive really put me at ease because I wasn't stuttering. I was able to read from my play script."

Lester: "I just wanted to make sure that we continue to control the line of scrimmage. That’s what it’s all about."

Lester: "This was a game that dictated man coverage, so it dictated some shots. I just had to make sure that we took them."

Lester said the second TD (Long to Ishmael on crossing route) was a suggestion by George McDonald at halftime. Zone coverage opened it up.

Lester said he cut the playbook in half after Tuesday, once TE Kendall Moore (concussion) went from questionable to out.

Lester on Josh Parris: "If we were ever a 12 team, he could be a Y or he could be an H. He’s strong enough to play the Y."

Sounds like 12 personnel could've been in the mix today if Moore was healthy. Tyler Provo "coming along," Lester said.

Lester said WR Steve Ishmael stays late working alone a lot of nights. Saw him doing ladder drills by himself at night earlier this week.

Lester said Long's only big mistake was the bad throwaway on his first interception. Also missed a read in the flat in the red zone.

Lester on AJ Long: "He adds a dynamic to the run game." Was glad he didn't force any pulls on zone reads.

Terrel Hunt was on a headset talking with the QBs through the game. Spoke to them most often while Lester was on with the coaches.

Lester: "I’d still like those red-zone opportunities back." Wished he could take back one call: 3rd/5, inside zone to Adonis. FS blitzed.

Lester said the Florida State defense was "tailor-made" for AJ Long. Lots of man coverage in the secondary.

Next week's QB will be based on Wilson's health, what the SU staff sees on tape of Wake Forest's defense and how practice goes.

Lester said both Wilson and Long could both play again.

Lester on McDonald: "We always communicate well, but now that we’re in two different places I feel like we can do more."

Lester called Long's back-should bullet to Flemming his best throw of the day. "It was a major-league throw."

Lester on AJ Long's competitiveness: "If we were going to go in the back and play kick the can, I'd pick him." Said they race to meetings.

More Lester on AJ Long: "It doesn't seem like anything is too big for this kid."

Lester: "I don't think you can ever beat the No. 1 team in the country and play conservative."

Asked Lester about the jumbo package with three DTs. "Ahhhhhhhhhhh." So frustrated that Ron Thompson jumped when they snuck it in.

Lester said it was a play at Western Michigan. Thompson, Welsh, Robinson the DEs. "Those guys have been looking forward to that all week."

Lester asked the defensive coaches to use those guys quickly after he was promoted. "We have to find a way to grind out a yard."

After Wilson's injury, Lester said Riley Dixon would've been the 3rd-string QB. Broyld a thought if healthy. Had to think for a second.

Lester said QB-turned-WR Troy Green has been injured. "I don't think he's coming back. I'm not 100 percent sure what his injury is."

Nate Mink ‏@MinkNate 6m
Shafer: "I really believed that we could beat this team."

Shafer on A.J. Long: "An opportunity to be baptized by fire against No. 1 in the country, I thought the kid did a pretty damn good job."

Last edited:
Tossed together a very quick, limited reaction to the biggest takeaway of the game: http://.com/sufb-i-believe-the-children-are-our-future/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom