Pregame thoughts on SU vs Miami | Syracusefan.com

Pregame thoughts on SU vs Miami

jekelish

Living Legend
Miami is a bad matchup for SU in a lot of ways...their strengths (depth, strong lead guard play, excellent three point shooting) could exploit our weaknesses. We should control the glass, and as long as Rak stays out of foul trouble he should have a good game. Not much depth or size outside of one seven footer (who just happens to be averaging 10 boards per game).

http://.com/syracuse-hoping-to-show-miami-how-winning-is-done/

Great job. I think if Joseph plays 28+ minutes we win. As you alluded to his play particularly in taking care of the ball could be key and he has shown signs of life on offense the last couple of games where Buss has not. So if he can take care of the bball, meaning he stays in the game and provides some scoring I think we have a good chance.

One exception of course is that everything is predicated on Rakeem staying out of foul trouble like every game the rest of the way.

I agree the matchups are not good for us. We've had trouble against teams with quality backcourts going all the way back to Cal. Rodriguez single handedly dismantled Dook, and can hit a 3 from anywhere on the floor, if he's not getting in the lane and finding open shooters. They also have a 7 footer inside who's averaging 10 boards a game.

Since our help rotations are still not there, I think they'll get good looks and will damage us from outside unless we can adjust and our defense is hyperactive. They'll face-guard TC and we can't count on more than 2-3 three's from him (10 pts). Even though they have size, I think Rak will get his. So the key to this game might be G. If he can play well and we can find some balance with 8-10 each from KJ and TR, we can hang with them. But if even one guy tanks offensively, the whole game could look like the first 3 minutes of the BC game. Miami beat Duke by 16 at Cameron Indoor and took Virginia to double OT. They are for real. Might have to switch from beer to hard liquor on this one.

Last edited:
Might have to switch from beer to hard liquor on this one.

Aside from the rest of your very well thought out post this stuck out to me because last evening when buying my beer for the weekend I grabbed a bottle of rum (knowing I was low) f0r this very same reason.

I can just see Rodriguez giving Joseph a hell of a lot of trouble at both ends of the court tonight. Huge test for the freshman.

I can just see Rodriguez giving Joseph a hell of a lot of trouble at both ends of the court tonight. Huge test for the freshman.

Tonight? What I need to get some work done and head home. ;)

I think Joseph holding his own is the key to the game because he's coming on offensively and we need that 4th guy to be somewhat of a threat. As reedny mentioned they also have the type of defenders to chase Cooney around like Clemson did so G and Rak could really use someone else to pressure to defense to make it easier on them.

I agree the matchups are not good for us. We've had trouble against teams with quality backcourts going all the way back to Cal. Rodriguez single handedly dismantled Dook, and can hit a 3 from anywhere on the floor, if he's not getting in the lane and finding open shooters. They also have a 7 footer inside who's averaging 10 boards a game.

Since our help rotations are still not there, I think they'll get good looks and will damage us from outside unless we can adjust and our defense is hyperactive. They'll face-guard TC and we can't count on more than 2-3 three's from him (10 pts). Even though they have size, I think Rak will get his. So the key to this game might be G. If he can play well and we can find some balance with 8-10 each from KJ and TR, we can hang with them. But if even one guy tanks offensively, the whole game could look like the first 3 minutes of the BC game. Miami beat Duke by 16 at Cameron Indoor and took Virginia to double OT. They are for real. Might have to switch from beer to hard liquor on this one.

Spot on.

Another key is going to be keeping track of Lecomte when he's in the game. We'll be primarily focused on Rodriguez and McClellan, so I could see the little Belgian getting kind of forgotten, so our rotations on the perimeter need to be on point. Can't let him sneak around the perimeter and find a lot of open looks.

Tonight? What I need to get some work done and head home. ;)

I think Joseph holding his own is the key to the game because he's coming on offensively and we need that 4th guy to be somewhat of a threat. As reedny mentioned they also have the type of defenders to chase Cooney around like Clemson did so G and Rak could really use someone else to pressure to defense to make it easier on them.
Ugh, tomorrow. It's been a long morning already.

Another key is going to be keeping track of Lecomte when he's in the game. We'll be primarily focused on Rodriguez and McClellan, so I could see the little Belgian getting kind of forgotten, so our rotations on the perimeter need to be on point. Can't let him sneak around the perimeter and find a lot of open looks.

All in all we have to do way more things well to beat Miami than we've had to against any of the other conference opponents we have faces so far. This is a huge test and if we pull off a win it takes a lot of pressure off of our trip to chapel hill. (that one will be decided on our defensive glass IMO)

I think you can make a case that Miami is better than Villanova. I personally think they have a better collection of players and size. Let's hope SU brings their A game. Of course the Villanova game may have been fools gold until the collapse in terms of SU playing well above their normal capabilities.

I don't think it can be overstated enough how big a factor Miami's depth could be, too. We basically play 6 guys at most, whereas they've got 10 guys who all average at least 12 minutes per game. Foul trouble and fatigue could be killers tonight for us, not so much for them.

Good post.

I think you can make a case that Miami is better than Villanova. I personally think they have a better collection of players and size. Let's hope SU brings their A game. Of course the Villanova game may have been fools gold until the collapse in terms of SU playing well above their normal capabilities.

I would say Miami's A game is better than Nova's A game. Certainly a valid point that they have a better collection of athletes manning the frontcourt. Miami's looked awful in a few games but then so have we and we generally have at least one awful 5min stretch even in our good games. At least this is a home game but that also means we have to take advantage of that in a game against a good team that is winnable

I don't think it can be overstated enough how big a factor Miami's depth could be, too. We basically play 6 guys at most, whereas they've got 10 guys who all average at least 12 minutes per game. Foul trouble and fatigue could be killers tonight for us, not so much for them.
Again, with the "tonight" fatigue looks to be setting in for you.

I don't know about fatigue in the game. Foul trouble is definitely a concern. But our guys need to learn how to play big minutes. I think it is something Cooney is figuring out from last year when he used to run himself into being gassed. The prime players need to know how to pace themselves and for the most part I think they do.

Holy crap what the hell is wrong with me with all this "tonight" stuff. My days blend together.

I'll chalk it up to the fact that I've got games of my own that I'll be working tonight. Yeah, let's go with that.

Our formula for beating a good team:

The big three all have productive games + no foul trouble + no defensive lapses = maybe.

Miami is a bad matchup for SU in a lot of ways...their strengths (depth, strong lead guard play, excellent three point shooting) could exploit our weaknesses. We should control the glass, and as long as Rak stays out of foul trouble he should have a good game. Not much depth or size outside of one seven footer (who just happens to be averaging 10 boards per game).

http://.com/syracuse-hoping-to-show-miami-how-winning-is-done/
I watched very little of the NCST game last night, but it was the opening of the 2nd half when Miami jumped out to their lead to take control. They seem heavily reliant on the 3 ball, they took 23 last night. They also took 21 FTs to NCSTs 4, rebounds were 29 to 25 in favor of the Wolfpack.. Miami won by 5 by being the more aggressive team and making 4 more 3s than NCST. To win, we have to rebound well and limit turnovers and they won't run away with it. My concern will be the last 5 minutes in a close game. Can the guys execute, make FTs, and get a critical stop when they need it, which has been lacking so far this year? Rodriquez makes them go, so finding him at all times is the key to slowing them down, make a few shots and then they can get into protect the lead mode. I think that is the formula for success.

NCState v Miami last night

NCState 3/4 from the line (21 fouls)
Miami 18/21 from the line (10 fouls)

NC attempted 60 fields goals to Miami's 47

We need to stay out of foul trouble.

NCState v Miami last night

NCState 3/4 from the line (21 fouls)
Miami 18/21 from the line (10 fouls)

NC attempted 60 fields goals to Miami's 47

We need to stay out of foul trouble.

Yikes, was that @NCST 0r Miami?

I watched very little of the NCST game last night, but it was the opening of the 2nd half when Miami jumped out to their lead to take control. They seem heavily reliant on the 3 ball, they took 23 last night. They also took 21 FTs to NCSTs 4, rebounds were 29 to 25 in favor of the Wolfpack.. Miami won by 5 by being the more aggressive team and making 4 more 3s than NCST. To win, we have to rebound well and limit turnovers and they won't run away with it. My concern will be the last 5 minutes in a close game. Can the guys execute, make FTs, and get a critical stop when they need it, which has been lacking so far this year? Rodriquez makes them go, so finding him at all times is the key to slowing them down, make a few shots and then they can get into protect the lead mode. I think that is the formula for success.

Or what UHOP said :)

Aside from the rest of your very well thought out post this stuck out to me because last evening when buying my beer for the weekend I grabbed a bottle of rum (knowing I was low) f0r this very same reason.

Best rum I've ever tasted (hard to get though):

http://donq.com/rum/cristal/

Best rum I've ever tasted (hard to get though):

http://donq.com/rum/cristal/

Nice. Haven't had it. There is an amazing rum bar in Key West where they have hundreds of them from all different nations (PR, Barbados, Trinidad, DR, Haiti, etc.). Many of them are tapped in barrels as well which is impressive to see and taste from. These are all sipping rums of course. Not the Bacardi or Sailor Jerry garbage. Some of them were QUITE pricey.