Premier League 2017-18 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2017-18

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Big news for me - Chelsea just signed Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid to become their new striker. Buh-bye to problem child Diego Costa. He fought like hell, but too often, he forgot that he was there to score goals, not to pick schoolyard fights with opposing defenders.

From the Official Chelsea site, so this is for real:

Morata transfer agreed

OK, another post to get this thread going - let's look at the best business done so far in the summer window.

Liverpool - Dominick Solanke got off to a good start, scoring 11 minutes after coming on in his first game. Mo Salah is a good speedy guy on the wing. He doesn't always have an end product, but he was always trying too hard when he was at Chelsea. Liverpool should remember, though, he (like Sadio Mane) will also miss a month of the season when the Africa Cup of Nations rolls around. Not 'til next season, but they should keep that in mind. I'm hearing that Liverpool is getting close on a young left back to challenge Milner, and they are still looking for another central defender. Otherwise, if they keep Sturridge and use him as an option in attack, they look pretty loaded.

Arsenal - I've read that Wenger is looking for a particular young winger who we've never heard of, and if he gets him, he's open to seeing Alexis Sanchez leave. I love the Lacazette signing but think they ought to hold on to Giroud if they can. His aerial threat is not matched by anybody else in their squad, and you really need that.

PSG is talking about moves for Sanchez and triggering Neymar's 222M Euro release clause. We're talking FIFA lineups here, if they could pull this off - Neymar on the left wing, Sanchez on the right and Cavani in the middle. What an offense that would be for PSG. Arsenal still seem light in central defense and could use yet another defensive midfielder, if they can't get what they need out of the guys they have.

Man City are spending boatloads of money and have assembled a really strong side. I wonder if they keep Aguero with all the offensive options they have. They are probably going to get Danilo from Real Madrid to go with Kyle Walker at right back. Still looking for a left back and another central defender, but they are going to get some.

Man United got off to a good start with Lindelof to partner Bailly in central defense. (I think Phil Jones is the one they should offload instead of Smalling, though.) Mourinho still wants Matic, which would create a very strong midfield with him, Pogba and Herrera (or Mata, depending on the opponent). Mourinho still wants a left back, too, and was bitching to the press about it in Los Angeles the other day from their training camp. Lukaku is a perfect choice to replace Ibra - he totally fits the Mourinho mold.

Everton has bought a ton of players, several of whom look like real contributors. If Koeman can integrate all these new faces, he could have a very good squad, despite the loss of Lukaku to United. They are also in the running for Giroud if he leaves Arsenal, which seems likely.

Spurs have to get to work, though. They are the only Premier League team to have signed no one yet, and they sold Walker with only Trippier as his replacement. That's just not deep enough. They need a second striker. They must not sell Dier, who gives them great flexibility in defense.

Your thoughts on the window so far?

Last edited:
OK, another post to get this thread going - let's look at the best business done so far in the summer window.

Liverpool - Dominick Solanke got off to a good start, scoring 11 minutes after coming on in his first game. Mo Salah is a good speedy guy on the wing. He doesn't always have an end product, but he was always trying too hard when he was at Chelsea. Liverpool should remember, though, he (like Sadio Mane) will also miss a month of the season when the Africa Cup of Nations rolls around. Not 'til next season, but they should keep that in mind. I'm hearing that Liverpool is getting close on a young left back to challenge Milner, and they are still looking for another central defender. Otherwise, if they keep Sturridge and use him as an option in attack, they look pretty loaded.

Arsenal - I've read that Wenger is looking for a particular young winger who we've never heard of, and if he gets him, he's open to seeing Alexis Sanchez leave. I love the Lacazette signing but think they ought to hold on to Giroud if they can. His aerial threat is not matched by anybody else in their squad, and you really need that.

PSG is talking about moves for Sanchez and triggering Neymar's 222M Euro release clause. We're talking FIFA lineups here, if they could pull this off - Neymar on the left wing, Sanchez on the right and Cavani in the middle. What an offense that would be for PSG. Arsenal still seem light in central defense and could use yet another defensive midfielder, if they can't get what they need out of the guys they have.

Man City are spending boatloads of money and have assembled a really strong side. I wonder if they keep Aguero with all the offensive options they have. They are probably going to get Danilo from Real Madrid to go with Kyle Walker at right back. Still looking for a left back and another central defender, but they are going to get some.

Man United got off to a good start with Lindelof to partner Bailly in central defense. (I think Phil Jones is the one they should offload instead of Smalling, though.) Mourinho still wants Matic, which would create a very strong midfield with him, Pogba and Herrera (or Mata, depending on the opponent). Mourinho still wants a left back, too, and was bitching to the press about it in Los Angeles the other day from their training camp. Lukaku is a perfect choice to replace Ibra - he totally fits the Mourinho mold.

Everton has bought a ton of players, several of whom look like real contributors. If Koeman can integrate all these new faces, he could have a very good squad, despite the loss of Lukaku to United. They are also in the running for Giroud if he leaves Arsenal, which seems likely.

Spurs have to get to work, though. They are the only Premier League team to have signed no one yet, and they sold Walker with only Trippier as his replacement. That's just not deep enough. They need a second striker. They must not sell Dier, who gives them great flexibility in defense.

Your thoughts on the window so far?
Love Spurs, agree they need to make a move. Wondering if the game plan is to wait until January?

Love Spurs, agree they need to make a move. Wondering if the game plan is to wait until January?

They can't do that. Their squad is not deep enough to play Champions League this year and only use the amount of guys they did last year. There will be injuries if they try to get by with that small a squad. Levy just got 50M for Kyle Walker. Go spend some money and get another striker, another playmaker in the middle (Sigurdson would be a great signing) and another fullback to replace Walker.

Liverpool get their young left back, Andy Robertson from Hull. Competition for Milner now, and the ability to use him in his natural midfield position as another alternative to Emre Can and Jordan Henderson. Good signing.

Liverpool is also reportedly getting involved with Virgil Van Dijk of Southampton again. To me, this one is essential for their window. Van Dijk has been told to train away from the team by the coach because he is not 100% committed right now. Sounds like he's going to be sold to me.

And a final one on Liverpool - Barcelona has offered 80M Euros for Coutinho. Liverpool says he will not be sold. Watch this space. It would do them a lot of harm to let him go. They have no comparable playmaker to run their attack.

West Ham is having a good window, having signed Marko Arnautovic from Stoke to bolster their attack, and just signed Chicarito. They are also circling Jack Wilshire of Arsenal, who spent last season on loan. It's tougher competition but certainly much more interesting viewing when the mid-table clubs are able to sign quality players.

They can't do that. Their squad is not deep enough to play Champions League this year and only use the amount of guys they did last year. There will be injuries if they try to get by with that small a squad. Levy just got 50M for Kyle Walker. Go spend some money and get another striker, another playmaker in the middle (Sigurdson would be a great signing) and another fullback to replace Walker.

Agree with this. They do need the depth for domestic league/CL/Cup ties.

Spurs would be wise to finish some business before the close of the summer transfer window, when the quid made off the Walker sale will go much further.

It requires kings ransom these days to get any quality in the January window.

For those of you who wonder, who got the better Center Forward, here is a highlight reel of all the goals Alvaro Morata has scored for Real Madrid and for Juventus;

WATCH: Every club goal Alvaro Morata has scored in his career

You'll see a guy whose preferred foot is his right foot, but he can still bend a ball inside the far corner with his left foot, he has very tidy feet in the box, and he is terrific with his head. Pretty pacey, and pretty strong. Not as strong as Lukaku, but I think he's done it on a far bigger stage.

Figured I'd put this here:

Swansea City is here in Raleigh. NCFC hosting them. Tailgating, and across our aisle is an SUV with a big Syracuse "S" on the back.

We are everywhere.

Not sure who came with Swansea on their preseason tour. Obviously would love to see Sigurosson, Llorente, Fabianski... and Leroy Fer!

Edit: Fabianski warming up between the sticks!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a couple mega-transfer stories pick up steam, it could set some dominoes falling.

As many of you have read, PSG appears willing to pay Barca's release clause of 220M Euros for Neymar. Neymar is said to be very interested in the move because he remains in the shadows of Lionel Messi, who probably has another 3 years in his legs. Neymar is 25 right now and really growing into his prime. He will never win a Ballon D'Or while he is Messi's sidekick. That's what's behind the move. He would be able to be the leading player at PSG and build his personal legacy.

Ligue Un is a league that PSG should dominate, providing them with a dependable platform for Champions League glory. And an attacking lineup of Neymar on the left, Cavani through the middle and Angel DiMaria on the other wing with Julian Draxler (who had a great Confederations Cup tournament) in the #10 role (or vice versa), that's one hell of an attack. I would like to see it happen. It would create another super team, and it would harm Barca, who I kind of dislike, although I admire their sustained excellence.

And the other mega-move is that Kylian M'Bappe of Monaco (the next Thierry Henry, honestly), who has always said he wants to go to Real Madrid and be a Galactico, seems like they are making a move for him at around 180M Euros. That move is being financed by the sale of James Rodrigues (via loan, first, for purposes of their FFP books) to Bayern Munich, and then Alvaro Morata to Chelsea and Danilo to Man City, and that frees up a lot of money to finance the move.

If they get M'Bappe, as it appears to be more likely, then Real Madrid will be looking to sell Gareth Bale. Man United is interested, but only if it's an easy deal and not a struggle. If Mourinho got Bale as his attacking winger, to go with all the talent they have collected, holy crap, that's a team that ought to challenge for the title for several years to come.

Arsenal seems to be getting closer on Thomas Lemar of Monaco, another of their athletic attacking midfielders, and are also said to be making a move for William Carvalho of Porto FC. He would finally solve their problems in holding midfield. If Arsenal can get those 2 deals across the line (and keep Sanchez and Giroud), holy cow, that, too is a team that can compete for the title. Well, with maybe another central defender. But with Lacazette added up front, and another solid midfielder in Sead Kolasinac, who they got on a free transfer, Lemar and Carvalho, that's suddenly another serious contender.

Tottenham still with no signings. A couple more of their young players are going to get chances in the first team, but boy, if I was Pochettino, I would be getting antsy that they haven't signed a winger to replace Kyle Walker and another striker to back up Harry Kane. They need that, and Levy has to stop being so cheap. He needs a change in mentality to match the ambition of his coach and his top players. Spurs cannot remain a selling club. They must strengthen, with just a couple players, or they will get worn down from the schedule.

City are throwing around money like crazy, and have signed three terrific fullbacks in Danilo, Mendy and Kyle Walker. They added more creativity in the middle of the pitch in Bernardo Silva. and a new goalkeeper in Ederson who looked very good in the first pre-season match that I saw. They still need one more central defender who is dependable, but they also look much improved.

And how about Everton! They added a whole new spine to their team this summer: Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford from Sunderland, young central defender Michael Keane from Burnley, Davy Klassen from Ajax to add skill and savvy to their midfield, Sandro Ramirez from Malaga to play striker, they added two wingers in Henry Onyekuru, a left winger from Belgium, and Cuco Martina, a right back from Southampton. And then there's the return of Wayne Rooney. Everton is going to have a very deep, talented squad and a terrific coach in Ronald Koeman. They could make a push for top 4, even without Lukaku, so long as Ramirez can give them about 15 goals, and Rooney another 10, to add to an already deep and talented roster.

And how about a Liverpool update, to finish out discussions of those aiming for Top 4? They have two very important targets they need to get over the line - Naby Keita, a central midfielder from Leipzig, who they are offering in excess of 70M Euro for, and they are back in for Virgil Van Dijk of Southampton, to solidify their back four.

They have signed a young left back, Andrew Robertson from Hull, to provide fresh legs to relieve James Milner and supplant Moreno, who just doesn't have it at this level. He is sometimes good in the attack but is too vulnerable on defense.

Mo Salah on the right wing will add pace to their attack. He improved in his time in Italy, and knows about the Premier League. If he gives them 10+ goals this year, they will be thrilled, and it will have been a very good signing.

Dominick Solanke is one of the Chelsea loan army who got tired of waiting for a spot in the first team. He was just the high scorer in England's march to the U20 World Cup title; their first of that level in decades.

And they added Andre Wisdom, a right back who played at Salzburg last year, and has been a member of the Jamaica national team, if I recall correctly. He has experience in England playing in the Championship for Derby County. So he is a pretty good squad player, but likely not a starter.

So while they have added depth to the squad, they have to get Van Dijk and Keita (their version of N'Golo Kante, they hope) to really give them a chance at top 4. The other squads have outspent them this summer. They seem like a low-budget team for their top 4 aspirations. They have to get these 2 guys that they want.

It would also be nice if Klopp could count on (forgive) Mamadou Sakho, who had a very good spell in exile at Crystal Palace before he got hurt last year. He provides the speed and physicality in defense that they have been lacking.

And what happens to Daniel Sturridge? Will he finally become a hardworking front man, or will he be inconsistent and never recapture the faith of his manager because of all his damn injuries?

Klopp looks a little short in this squad right now to me. I welcome your thoughts.

Big news! Neymar appears to be on his way to PSG for 222M Euros. PSG will be forced to sell a handful of players to stay within Financial Fair Play. Keep your eye on this space - I'm guessing Blaise Matuidi, Marco Veratti, Hatem Ben Arfa, Javier Pastore and Serge Aurier may all be available at the right price.

LIVE: Kylian Mbappe wants to quit Monaco, United circle for Serge Aurier

Brighton and Hove have a beautiful stadium and had a beautiful day for their first PL game.

Lukaku earned his salary today. And Rooney came through for Everton. Good first weekend for the big trade.

Chelsea nearly gets a result with 9 men? Can they be that good or is the Burn just that bad?

Lukaku earned his salary today. And Rooney came through for Everton. Good first weekend for the big trade.

Chelsea nearly gets a result with 9 men? Can they be that good or is the Burn just that bad?

I haven't yet watched the United game, but saw the scoreline.

My impressions of the first weekend for the contenders is that Arsenal still look very much like Arsenal - loads of attacking talent, but lacking conviction in defense. Sanchez in the stands looked very disinterested, and his girlfriend absolutely bored. I thought maybe Wenger could convince him to give this season a shot and then walk for free if he wasn't convinced to stay by their success this season. But that already looks a lost cause.

City should have done a lot better at Brighton. Yes, it was a great atmosphere, but Brighton had so little offense to "threaten" City, I'm surprised it took City 70 minutes to break them down and get their first goal. Of course the second one came only 5 minutes later, and then it was game over, but City is not yet who they will become. I still think they could use one more central defender, but on paper they have the best squad by far.

I thought Liverpool had pulled off the double comeback, but again they capitulated at the very end. They really, really need another central defender even more than City. It's inexplicable that they haven't signed a holding midfielder, a central defender and a left back after the window has been open for over a month. They are not going to make the top 4 without further reinforcements. I really like how Liverpool play, and I really like Klopp. I hope they can add a couple good players to the squad. They need it to be real contenders.

Spurs looked lethargic before getting the late win. They, too, seem to be suffering a bit within the squad for having no new faces at all after having sold Kyle Walker for 50M Pounds and now Danny Rose also talking about the exit door. Ugh. They are solid and deep in midfield and central defense, but they need another winger or two, and they need a convincing alternative to Harry Kane up front. Jannsen has not impressed, and you can't count on Son getting you 14 goals again next season. Daniel Levy has to open his checkbook and buy a couple good players, just for the mentality of the squad, to tell them "Yes, we are trying to win trophies here."

That brings us to Chelsea. Wow, three games in a row with red cards - and two of them against Burnley! Ugh. Chelsea's defense capitulated after that first goal. How shocking to see Chelsea down 3 at the half, getting booed off the pitch. Courtois was tentative in the goal, and should have come out for one goal, and then didn't get another that was very save-able. Luiz was right to be yelling at Courtois. I thought that the other 2 defenders, Rudiger and Christensen, played pretty well after Gary Cahill was sent off, once you gave them that 20 minute disaster that happened. They were good in the second half. I like Rudiger's athleticism a lot. He's a quicker version of Zouma, but not quite as strong. Christensen seemed pretty good to me. I don't think Conte has to go out and buy yet another central defender, like he thinks he does.

I think Michy didn't do a great job leading the line against a team he should have been a threat against. I thought that Morata was very good once he got in there. Willian didn't have enough creative players to interchange with in the absence of Victor Moses, along with Hazard and Pedro, who are out due to injury. Kante just isn't a threat in the final third. The sale of Matic to United is especially galling, since they obviously have no one lined up to replace him, and the young academy players who might have provided depth have been sold or loaned out. Chelsea only had 15 or 16 senior players on the roster for this game. That's appalling. You can't even make out a full bench with so few players. They are going to have trouble making the top 4 if they don't get a few more guys in here. Although I have to say that Conte complaining to the media about the lack of players is hurting morale of the ones who remain. It's not the way to build up mental strength to win a championship. He's undermining it to protect his own reputation.

As for United, I think that Mourinho has built a team that can win it. Getting Matic to be the enforcer in their midfield is an excellent addition. I have not yet watched their 4-0 demolition job from Sunday, but will be doing so later. They have great athleticism, they got younger in this transfer window, and if you give them one more guy who can play on the wing (especially at left back), they are going to be really tough to beat. Manchester United's biggest challenge may be Mourinho himself, who has shown a tendency to be self-destructive and overly negative. If he can keep it together and not bitterly complain about every referee decision that goes against them, United ought to be serious contenders this season.

I haven't yet watched the United game, but saw the scoreline.

My impressions of the first weekend for the contenders is that Arsenal still look very much like Arsenal - loads of attacking talent, but lacking conviction in defense. Sanchez in the stands looked very disinterested, and his girlfriend absolutely bored. I thought maybe Wenger could convince him to give this season a shot and then walk for free if he wasn't convinced to stay by their success this season. But that already looks a lost cause.

City should have done a lot better at Brighton. Yes, it was a great atmosphere, but Brighton had so little offense to "threaten" City, I'm surprised it took City 70 minutes to break them down and get their first goal. Of course the second one came only 5 minutes later, and then it was game over, but City is not yet who they will become. I still think they could use one more central defender, but on paper they have the best squad by far.

I thought Liverpool had pulled off the double comeback, but again they capitulated at the very end. They really, really need another central defender even more than City. It's inexplicable that they haven't signed a holding midfielder, a central defender and a left back after the window has been open for over a month. They are not going to make the top 4 without further reinforcements. I really like how Liverpool play, and I really like Klopp. I hope they can add a couple good players to the squad. They need it to be real contenders.

Spurs looked lethargic before getting the late win. They, too, seem to be suffering a bit within the squad for having no new faces at all after having sold Kyle Walker for 50M Pounds and now Danny Rose also talking about the exit door. Ugh. They are solid and deep in midfield and central defense, but they need another winger or two, and they need a convincing alternative to Harry Kane up front. Jannsen has not impressed, and you can't count on Son getting you 14 goals again next season. Daniel Levy has to open his checkbook and buy a couple good players, just for the mentality of the squad, to tell them "Yes, we are trying to win trophies here."

That brings us to Chelsea. Wow, three games in a row with red cards - and two of them against Burnley! Ugh. Chelsea's defense capitulated after that first goal. How shocking to see Chelsea down 3 at the half, getting booed off the pitch. Courtois was tentative in the goal, and should have come out for one goal, and then didn't get another that was very save-able. Luiz was right to be yelling at Courtois. I thought that the other 2 defenders, Rudiger and Christensen, played pretty well after Gary Cahill was sent off, once you gave them that 20 minute disaster that happened. They were good in the second half. I like Rudiger's athleticism a lot. He's a quicker version of Zouma, but not quite as strong. Christensen seemed pretty good to me. I don't think Conte has to go out and buy yet another central defender, like he thinks he does.

I think Michy didn't do a great job leading the line against a team he should have been a threat against. I thought that Morata was very good once he got in there. Willian didn't have enough creative players to interchange with in the absence of Victor Moses, along with Hazard and Pedro, who are out due to injury. Kante just isn't a threat in the final third. The sale of Matic to United is especially galling, since they obviously have no one lined up to replace him, and the young academy players who might have provided depth have been sold or loaned out. Chelsea only had 15 or 16 senior players on the roster for this game. That's appalling. You can't even make out a full bench with so few players. They are going to have trouble making the top 4 if they don't get a few more guys in here. Although I have to say that Conte complaining to the media about the lack of players is hurting morale of the ones who remain. It's not the way to build up mental strength to win a championship. He's undermining it to protect his own reputation.

As for United, I think that Mourinho has built a team that can win it. Getting Matic to be the enforcer in their midfield is an excellent addition. I have not yet watched their 4-0 demolition job from Sunday, but will be doing so later. They have great athleticism, they got younger in this transfer window, and if you give them one more guy who can play on the wing (especially at left back), they are going to be really tough to beat. Manchester United's biggest challenge may be Mourinho himself, who has shown a tendency to be self-destructive and overly negative. If he can keep it together and not bitterly complain about every referee decision that goes against them, United ought to be serious contenders this season.

I'm only 15 minutes into United's 4-0 demolition of a talented West Ham team, bolstered by additions like Chicarito, Joe Hart and Pablo Zabaleta, to name just a few.

The difference in United that Matic brings to their midfield is remarkable. He is playing better, too, maybe because he is so pumped for the game, but he looks like Michael Ballack out there. He is a hub for their midfield, and drags the whole defense 10 yards forward. He passes and dribbles under pressure much better than he is given credit for. The pursuit and accolades from Mourinho will likely bring out the very best in Matic, at least for a while

United look sensational. What they are still missing, to my eye, is a pair of good athletic backs, and for one of their central defenders other than Bailly to emerge and take the position. As of right now, I would place the title as a race between City and United, with Spurs likely third, and Arsenal, Chelsea going for 4th.

I see Liverpool slipping if they don't add a couple very solid players (Van Dijk and Keita or equivalents), and Everton looks solid but maybe lacking a bit of midfield creativity. If they can pry Gylfi Sigurdson away from Swansea, and this guy Sandro is the real deal, who can get them 15-20 goals, then they might challenge for the top 4.

Last edited:
Nice to see that Chicharito doesn't reserve his on field antics to USA/ Mexico games. Rolling on the ground, and then a well deserved yellow card for a cheap shot.

Manchester United 3 in 3, 3 clean sheets. Early, but an encouraging start for the first time since Sir Alex departed.

Manchester United 3 in 3, 3 clean sheets. Early, but an encouraging start for the first time since Sir Alex departed.

United, as they say, is LOADED. Their defense wasn't even tested today. Totally dominated possession.

For the Saturday games, I thought City was gifted that game by the refs. Pep benefitted from his tantrum at the officials by buying his guys extra time. It was disgraceful. Bournemouth had earned the point.

I thought Leicester played United tough, but United are really talented. They don't have the fullbacks to compete for the Champions League - they have to sign a couple next summer. But they look like a classic Mourinho team. Fast, powerful, strong, pretty solid defense. I still think they need another center back and a couple fullbacks, but Bailly is terrific. Valencia on the right wing is ageless.

Can Shaw make a comeback? You're not winning Champions League with Darmian, or Blind or Shaw, for that matter.

Those young guys up front are a talented bunch, though, and players like Mata and Mykhitarian give them craft. Pogba playing the most confidently of his career. Very solid spine on this team, and they will be adding Zlatan in January, just in time for Champions League elimination rounds. I think unless they add a couple backs they are a year or two away from a deep Champions League run. But it is Mourninho's second year, so don't bet against him.

United, as they say, is LOADED. Their defense wasn't even tested today. Totally dominated possession.

They are off to a great start. This might be their year. I would like to see Mourinho keep it together and not become a distraction to his team. I really like the guy, and wish him continued success. When he's not crying like a baby about conspiracies against him, he is still one of the best in the business.

I think we are seeing that Pep might not be all that, as well. Makes things too damn complicated, and if the whole squad didn't grow up playing that style of football at La Masia, well then he appears to be a bit more limited as a communicator, don't you think?

Although I'm Chelsea true blue, the first year I really started watching European football was 2009-10, leading up the World Cup in South Africa. Suddenly it was everywhere on TV. Inter won it that year (Champions League) with Mourinho knocking off Chelsea in the round of 8 or maybe the semifinals. Chelsea of course won the Double that year under Ancelotti. So Mourinho has always been legendary to me. And he did dethrone the mighty Barca, the best team of all time.

So for me this year, I enjoy watching Chelsea, United and Liverpool. I actively root against City and Arsenal and Spurs. I think Everton is going to be pretty entertaining, but are still an attacking player or two away from Top 4 contention.

I like the squad at Crystal Palace, and I can't quite understand how such a good team could fall apart so badly. But Alan Pardew did something very similar at Newcastle, too, several years ago - built a really good team, had a year finishing around 6th or 7th, and then utterly falling apart, facing long losing stretches where they just can't stop the spiral.

Swansea and Newcastle just are not investing, and Swansea, in particular, have sold off too many of their best players for too many years in a row. Southampton have held up a little better, but I see them taking a fall this year. Hull has stocked up, but just aren't that good either.

I like how Eddie Howe coaches, and think he will be moving up to a more ambitious side soon. I think that Mark Hughes is building a good team at Stoke and I enjoy watching them play. Tony Pulis at West Brom has a better squad than a couple years ago, with a semblance of attacking talent, too. It seems that every Premier League squad has got more talent since the infusion of the latest TV contracts in the last couple years. Lots of very enjoyable football being played.

Speaking of which, what a double header tomorrow to head off into the International Break - Chelsea hosts Everton at 8:30, followed by Liverpool hosting Arsenal at 11.

I like Chelsea to be bolster by the return of Pedro, and maybe a substitute appearance from Hazard. I think that may make the difference, and I think Morata will score. Everton is solid defensively and strong in midfield. Calvert-Lewin is a live wire down the right channel and Rooney is pretty decent as a number 10 / poacher on a team like this. They could use some Kevin Mirallis against Chelsea, I think. He has hurt them over the years. But I like Chelsea in this one, 2-1.

In the late game, I think it's going to be a scoring draw, probably 2-2. Liverpool will probably get an early one, but leave themselves open at the back. Then they pull ahead again, and Giroud evens it up with a late header off the bench, taking advantage of Liverpool's weakness at defending set pieces.

Last edited:
Lots of ammunition today for Arsenal haters. Such a mess. Personally I would like to see the team blown up, Wenger tossed and try and create an identity as existed pre-wenger. Liverpool looked lethal today no matter how bad my gunners were. The counter attack fluidity and wing play overall was just a joy to watch whether it was at my teams expense or not. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them this year.