Preparing for UVA - Food for thought | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Preparing for UVA - Food for thought

In looking over their box scores I tried figuring out why there results look so bad? Besides the o-line and staff being new it's been the turnovers. Overcame 2 against Richmond, had 4 to Illinois and overcame 3 to ODU. This team isn't as bad as their final scores may indicate. They are just really struggling to protect the ball and that could be from lack of familiarity w new scheme.

Think it’s more of an advantage for us, Anae/Beck know some of the players and their tendencies.
Number 1 advantage. Dr . Bob and Beck know the VA QB inside and out.

As much as Brennan Armstrong flourished under Anae and Beck last year, throwing for 4,449 yards and 31 TDs and a 156.4 passer rating, he has struggled under Elliott and the new offensive coordinator, Des Kitchings, this season, passing for 710 yards, two TDs and a 108.3 rating through three games in 2022.

Elliott was asked Tuesday what he learned about Anae and Beck through his analysis of his new team in the offseason.

Here’s where you learn what made the Anae/Beck system work at UVA, and what’s different about the Elliott/Kitchings system that’s been hard for Armstrong and his offensive teammates to pick up on.

“They did a great job of being creative and using their personnel. They had a different approach. That’s just my perspective, and I don’t know this for certain, but it was more kind of just go make plays,” Elliott said. “We’re going to focus more on the play aspect, where my approach is more off of the timing, the design of the play, the progressions of the reads, the balance on offense. So, they did a great job with what they did. They found a way. I think it helped Brennan because he was able to get in a rhythm where he threw the ball a lot, where it’s a little bit different here, and it’s more — in the pros you don’t throw the ball every single play, you have to be balanced. There’s going to be times you’ve got to hand it off. You’ve got to manage the game.

“I think that’s a little bit of where Brennan is. He’s trying to make every single play for us because he had that freedom last year in the system, and he was confident. Again, he’s a playmaker, whereas here I want him to play within the system and make the required play,” Elliott said. “I had that discussion with him today, said hey, maybe the required play is, throw the ball away. That’s the best football play. You never go broke making a profit. Chad Morris taught me that. You never go broke making a profit, and sometimes the profit is hey, throw the ball away as opposed to scrambling around and you take a loss, and now you’re behind the chains.”

For the record, an incomplete pass is not a “profit.” It’s not a loss, but it’s not a “profit.”

You can go broke losing money, but you’re not going to get rich throwing things away.

All due respect to Elliott but he doesn't hold a candle to Dr. Bob as a coach. If Bob had Clemson talent they would average over 50 a game.

Virginia fans are saying that they will overpower our DL, and that our Defense is the 2nd worst D they will face all year, except for ODU... Like you can't make this up lmfao

Think we'll just have to get used to that narrative this year.

Meanwhile their oline only avgs 294.6 lbs aka the size of our smallest olineman and 35 lbs per avg less than ours.

In looking over their box scores I tried figuring out why there results look so bad? Besides the o-line and staff being new it's been the turnovers. Overcame 2 against Richmond, had 4 to Illinois and overcame 3 to ODU. This team isn't as bad as their final scores may indicate. They are just really struggling to protect the ball and that could be from lack of familiarity w new scheme.

Lack of ball security *IS* BAD.

They’re averaging 3 TO’s per game.

That’s 3 scoring opportunities erased, regardless of how well the drive was going prior.
Each game.

Might they miraculously clean that up this week?
Might the entirely new OL finally start to gel?
Might the QB complete more than 53% of this passes?

Sure, it could happen.

But - it’s a short week, and they’re playing on a Fri nite in the LOUD HOUSE in front of some excited (and surely well-lubricated ;)) fans.

Against a solid, well coached, opportunistic D.

Conversely - their D is… not great.
Tucker & Shrader should feast.

My biggest concern is that it is a short turn around being on Friday, and a probable let down after such an emotional game. Those guys must have been spent after that game. Plus Purdue was a stress test of SU's offense and defense. That game will be used as a blueprint for all of our upcoming opponents to attack SU, including NC State, Clemson, ND, FSU, etc.
Good news is UVA has same short turn around AND has to travel here.

All due respect to Elliott but he doesn't hold a candle to Dr. Bob as a coach. If Bob had Clemson talent they would average over 50 a game.
I was really surprised UVa named Tony Elliot as their HC. OK, I can see Venables [at OU]. It's one thing to have players like Travis Etienne, Deshaun Watson, and Trevor Lawrence on your offense. But look at last year's Clemson offense w/o the talent like those guys --- the offense was not good, and that's on Elliot. [Too bad SU couldn't take advantage of CU last year with our own offensive woes.] Elliot might recruit good players at UVa, but Clemson's roster was really loaded. Seems like UVa is going back to the days of Mike London with this hire.

Is it time for Mike Schmidt to shake things up on the O-Line?
Totally agree or change way we are blocking plays. We need a solid blocking end or fb. Hoeh is doing ok. Mang is not, and I thought he did decent last year. As big as our oline is, I should see us moving people backwards sand I don’t. Not constantl.