Preparing for UVA - Food for thought | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Preparing for UVA - Food for thought

Different overall defensive scheme in use now. They would know strengths/weaknesses of the individual players.
Oh yeah I meant knowing the personnel, just didn’t say that, for no apparent reason other than my general stupidity

I think this will be a tougher game than we hoped for.

Virginia ran well, and in the fourth quarter started figuring out their passing.

The OL played it's best game last week, and their D stuffed the run.

I see it like when Scott came back to the dome with MTSU, we had obviously a completely different system, but he knew what ED did well and was able to shut us down. Could see Rob/Beck having that kind of impact on UVA’s defense.
He also left us with crappy talent.

Coming back and beating the crappy talent he recruited wasn’t the flex he thought it was.

ECU lost 21-20 to NC St but get your point.
Good news for us is not really a trap game given Wagner isn't on the minds of anyone. It's 100 pct UVA, a packed Dome and a desire to keep stacking wins up. Jones is a rough loss. Cooper, Gadsden and Jackson have emerged as our main guys, we have some talent and now opportunities for guys behind them. We also have Tucker who if not for GS being out of sync - would have had another big game as a receiver.

Illinois gashed UVA on the ground. Richmond ran for 170 on the ground vs them. They did better vs ODU but this should be much different running the ball vs it was against Purdue.

Also- Tommy had a nice game but still missed easy plays and stalled drives against UVA. That game probably should have been 40-3.
Ah well that does make me feel better regarding UVA's defensive issues in the ground game. Hadn't looked into the specifics of the match up yet. Still we better bring it against any conference foe.

Don’t know why but i am nervous about this game. I should watch some of there game against OD and see what we are up against
Same. Purdue was a prove it game, a coin flip essentially by vegas. This game now we are expected to win, pressure is on to go out and execute even against a “lesser” opponent

ECU lost 21-20 to NC St but get your point.
Good news for us is not really a trap game given Wagner isn't on the minds of anyone. It's 100 pct UVA, a packed Dome and a desire to keep stacking wins up. Jones is a rough loss. Cooper, Gadsden and Jackson have emerged as our main guys, we have some talent and now opportunities for guys behind them. We also have Tucker who if not for GS being out of sync - would have had another big game as a receiver.

Illinois gashed UVA on the ground. Richmond ran for 170 on the ground vs them. They did better vs ODU but this should be much different running the ball vs it was against Purdue.

Also- Tommy had a nice game but still missed easy plays and stalled drives against UVA. That game probably should have been 40-3.
I’d argue it’s a trap game looking ahead to being 5-0 with NC state coming to the dome. Don’t like how that’s the talk already. Beat the conference opponent then we can talk about 5-0. No problem overlooking Wagner, but don’t overlook UVA

As we prepare this week for UVA, anyone think UVA has a slight advantage in that they are very well aware of Anae/Beck's playbook given they were assistants just last year? The defense may be very familiar with hand calls/signals, etc.

Something to look out for this week. Might change our preparation.

On the flip side, Tony White is likely in Anae's office this week getting a full scouting report on that UVA offense skill set.
Brennan Armstrong is a 5th (6th?) year QB similar to Aidan O’Connell. I’m shocked he stayed. It probably was a mistake by him, but he is committed to UVA clearly and definitely will be a player coach this week to help their DC scheme. That being said, Cuse knew about this game and I’m sure they some new looks to throw out there

I'm actually concerned about Armstrong's running ability. O'Connell was zero threat to run; Brennan is going to extend drives with his wheels.

Like he did against ODU?
16 points total scored.

And Illinois? 3.

He’s competing < 53% of his passes this season.
Has NO O-Line.
And he’s not exactly Shrader or Dungey w his wheels.

Like he did against ODU?
16 points total scored.

And Illinois? 3.

He’s competing < 53% of his passes this season.
Has NO O-Line.
And he’s not exactly Shrader or Dungey w his wheels.
Fear is that the O-Line is starting to gel. They are, I think, completely new group. He definitely put up some rushing numbers in previous years, I thought?

My biggest concern is that it is a short turn around being on Friday, and a probable let down after such an emotional game. Those guys must have been spent after that game. Plus Purdue was a stress test of SU's offense and defense. That game will be used as a blueprint for all of our upcoming opponents to attack SU, including NC State, Clemson, ND, FSU, etc.

I would be concerned for a letdown or looking ahead if we were playing Clemson the following week not Wagner. Virginia has a bad record on the road. Armstrong is very good, we have bring pressure.

I think this will be a tougher game than we hoped for.

Virginia ran well, and in the fourth quarter started figuring out their passing.

The OL played it's best game last week, and their D stuffed the run.
They played Old D. Not us. I'm not saying it will be easy for us. After 50 years rooting for this team I know better. But we should win and not have to sweat it up at the end.

Virginia fans on 247 think we are a easy win lmfao.
HOW ARE THEY SO COCKY lol. I do agree though being a fan of this team I will not take anything for granted. This game will be interesting. I think Garrett is angry about his performance this weekend and is going to hit the ground running to shut up the nay sayers.

Last edited:
Sheeshh lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-101033_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220920-101033_Chrome.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 99
did the virg play book have a running section ?

I hope we can find and use that section of our playbook this week.

So far this season, Tucker’s longest carry has been for 13 yards.

Have guys been sick?

Has Tucker been missing holes in the new scheme?

Whatever the reason, we need to execute better. Anae, Schmidt and Lynch need to get it fixed NOW.

As much as Brennan Armstrong flourished under Anae and Beck last year, throwing for 4,449 yards and 31 TDs and a 156.4 passer rating, he has struggled under Elliott and the new offensive coordinator, Des Kitchings, this season, passing for 710 yards, two TDs and a 108.3 rating through three games in 2022.

Elliott was asked Tuesday what he learned about Anae and Beck through his analysis of his new team in the offseason.

Here’s where you learn what made the Anae/Beck system work at UVA, and what’s different about the Elliott/Kitchings system that’s been hard for Armstrong and his offensive teammates to pick up on.

“They did a great job of being creative and using their personnel. They had a different approach. That’s just my perspective, and I don’t know this for certain, but it was more kind of just go make plays,” Elliott said. “We’re going to focus more on the play aspect, where my approach is more off of the timing, the design of the play, the progressions of the reads, the balance on offense. So, they did a great job with what they did. They found a way. I think it helped Brennan because he was able to get in a rhythm where he threw the ball a lot, where it’s a little bit different here, and it’s more — in the pros you don’t throw the ball every single play, you have to be balanced. There’s going to be times you’ve got to hand it off. You’ve got to manage the game.

“I think that’s a little bit of where Brennan is. He’s trying to make every single play for us because he had that freedom last year in the system, and he was confident. Again, he’s a playmaker, whereas here I want him to play within the system and make the required play,” Elliott said. “I had that discussion with him today, said hey, maybe the required play is, throw the ball away. That’s the best football play. You never go broke making a profit. Chad Morris taught me that. You never go broke making a profit, and sometimes the profit is hey, throw the ball away as opposed to scrambling around and you take a loss, and now you’re behind the chains.”

For the record, an incomplete pass is not a “profit.” It’s not a loss, but it’s not a “profit.”

You can go broke losing money, but you’re not going to get rich throwing things away.

Last edited: