Preseason Top 25 from ESPN (factors in loss of Mal) | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Top 25 from ESPN (factors in loss of Mal)

Before Mal left ESPN had us #18. I don't think we are a top 25 team but we are an NCAA tournament and once you make the tourney anything is possible.
Our defense has potential to be elite but we lost a lot from last year and only added 3 new players. I don't expect to be ranked early.

I've seen us anywhere unranked to 13th so far and finishing anywhere from 8th to 4th in the ACC...

Before Mal left ESPN had us #18. I don't think we are a top 25 team but we are an NCAA tournament and once you make the tourney anything is possible.
Our defense has potential to be elite but we lost a lot from last year and only added 3 new players. I don't expect to be ranked early.
We've got nice pieces at every position, IMO.
If Battle comes in as a legit scorer, Frank Howard's shot improves over the summer, The Beast does his Dennis Rodman impression every game, Chukwu anchors the paint, and we let Tyler-be-Tyler, we have a chance to be mighty special come March.
Add Gillon, Matty Moyer, and Coleman as an 8-deep team & the sky's the limit. All faith in the HOF'er...he's done it before, he'll do it again!
LGO

If Battle comes in as a legit scorer, Frank Howard's shot improves over the summer, The Beast does his Dennis Rodman impression every game, Chukwu anchors the paint, and we let Tyler-be-Tyler, we have a chance to be mighty special come March.
Add Gillon, Matty Moyer, and Coleman as an 8-deep team & the sky's the limit. All faith in the HOF'er...he's done it before, he'll do it again!
LGO
I agree, but there is zero room for injury and we lack D1 bodies for practice. This team could be very very good, but we are on thin ice.

I think we will be a top 25 team. Our defense will be fantastic and Lydon will be a monster.

I agree, but there is zero room for injury and we lack D1 bodies for practice. This team could be very very good, but we are on thin ice.
They've been on thin ice in terms of potential injury a lot in recent years. Realistically, even when JB has talent that runs 10 deep, there are certain players who are absolutely indespensible and whose loss would change the dynamic of the team completely. But this goes for all college basketball teams, not only SU.

wasnt the pre-season ranking about the same last year?

Lot of teams from about 5-24 in that poll that don't scare me in the least.
Duke is really the only team that scares me on paper, and even then you're assuming their frosh are basically going to be Okafor/Winslow/Jones redux

Dave you are a cliche machine and I love you for it.

I need all the love I can get! Sometimes I think people here think I'm more like the A in TEAM:

i_in_team2.png

A platitude is only respected as much as the person making it. How many self-referential platitudes do you know?

It's not where you start but where you finish that's important! GO ORANGE!
Most people haven't realized, but these pre-season polls are actually pretty good of indicating where teams will be when the season is finished.

Most people haven't realized, but these pre-season polls are actually pretty good of indicating where teams will be when the season is finished.

There seems to be a lot bias towards Big Ten. It seems to me the Big Ten always under performs in the NCAA tournament while recently the ACC over performed.

I don't see a top 25 team. We just don't have close to the offensive firepower needed to win big games consistently. Our 3-guard rotation should be solid, but do we have a go-to player? It's hard to see this team as being any better than last season's team that struggled mightily for much of the season.

I don't see a top 25 team. We just don't have close to the offensive firepower needed to win big games consistently. Our 3-guard rotation should be solid, but do we have a go-to player? It's hard to see this team as being any better than last season's team that struggled mightily for much of the season.
yeah I mean Lydon and Battle (and potentially Gillon) couldn't possibly be go-to players

Lydon will average at least 16 and 8 next year. If that's not a go to player, what is?

LGO
I'm drinking the juice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom