Priority of NBA comish to increase age limit to 20... | Syracusefan.com

Priority of NBA comish to increase age limit to 20...

I think it should be like Baseball, you can go right away out of highschool or you have to stay in college 2 or 3 years. That is fair IMO and helps the college game.
Not even close to the same though. MLB sends kids to the minors for years. The NBA can't and won't do that. Plus, the nBA doesn't want high school kids.

Not even close to the same though. MLB sends kids to the minors for years. The NBA can't and won't do that. Plus, the nBA doesn't want high school kids.

Kids can go to the NBADL straight from high school( or overseas) and underperforming NBA players are sent to the developmental league. Why isn't that considered the NBA's minor league? Just wondering.

Kids can go to the NBADL straight from high school( or overseas) and underperforming NBA players are sent to the developmental league. Why isn't that considered the NBA's minor league? Just wondering.

My guess would be a lack of money to keep them viable. The money minor league baseball makes is probably comparably eaten up by college basketball.

College basketball is the NBA's minors. Raising age minimum anti-American, anti-free enterprise. Of course, if there was an age minimum in show biz, we'd have never heard of Justin Bieber and he wouldn't be a millionaire.

The NBA loves to use the NCAA. Longer time in NCAA would

1. Free marketing for rookies entering the league
2. Reduced development costs
3. Reduces draft uncertainty for lottery teams who are forced to take risks.

I don't think it has any interest in the baseball model

dasher said:

If there was a MLB like minor league system they could and would. Think it would be beneficial to the college and pro game and give guys more chances to succeed.

20 would mean Patterson could go pro now but not BJ. Needs to be more than age involved IMHO.

I actually like the one and done rule. It helps expose future busts and then allows the players to make the money they deserve. I just wish they taught the kids how to manage their money better.

How come nobody has a problem with the NFL rule that they can't draft a kid until 3 after after he graduates from high school? Works for the NFL which is much better run than the NBA. Much smarter to base it on number of years out of hs than just age. In basketball many of the kids spend 5 years in hs and are 19 as freshman.

How come nobody has a problem with the NFL rule that they can't draft a kid until 3 after after he graduates from high school? Works for the NFL which is much better run than the NBA. Much smarter to base it on number of years out of hs than just age. In basketball many of the kids spend 5 years in hs and are 19 as freshman.

I think the argument for that was your brain isn't fully developed till you're 21 and most guys redshirt a year to get bigger.

i'd think a 20 yr age limit both raises the level of college and the pro game play. can't even imagine calipari telling a kid he has to stay 2 years. also solves the revolving D1 door policy we've created. no program (cough kentucky) is gonna land all the top 10 talent each year if the previous crop is coming back as sophs. get it done quickly!

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you have actually watched a NBDL game, but it is really just a summer league game. Very little structure, just run and gun. Guys put up huge numbers offensively and defense is at a minimum. Pierre Jackson takes about 30 shots a game and just put up like 60 the other night, it's a joke. Having guys stay in college will increase their skills and prepare them better than the NBDL right now will.

exactly. every college game you play matters. it's team before talent. the nbdl is nothing but a showcase for these kids. get mine and get paid.

Because nobody in their right mind thinks a HS kid is big enough and strong enough to take the pounding that happens with an NFL season. High school kids who jumped to the NBA have proven in the past they can hang-ish and in future years some make it. The college 1 and done rule has proven to be successful as far as NBA talent goes. The NBA loves the insane amount of time NCAA media spends on the freshman focus, and they get tons of free marketing on the kids this way.

Increasing the age parameter allows (generally) for further development at the college level, and a better college game.

College basketball is the NBA's minors. Raising age minimum anti-American, anti-free enterprise. Of course, if there was an age minimum in show biz, we'd have never heard of Justin Bieber and he wouldn't be a millionaire.
We have minimum age to vote, to drink and outside of West Virginia to get married.

"Age limit" is bad terminology. It really means that any person above that age isn't allowed. Age limits typically occur in youth sports (ex.: you can't be over 12 before August 1 and play in the Little League World Series).

"Age minimum" or "Age restrictions" is really what they are talking about.

Sorry to be a nitpick.

I don't think this part of the article was included
Whoever that executive director is, he is not likely to go for this… unless Silver has some other concessions he plans to give the players.

But yes, I think this would be good for the NBA owners. Probably not as incrementally good as the one and done rule, but still positive. Mainly for this reason

3. Reduces draft uncertainty for lottery teams who are forced to take risks.

If this is collectively bargained by the NBAPA and NBA then I have no problem with this. However, I think kids should be able to go straight to the NBA after High School if the teams want to gamble on those players. If the NBAPA agrees to this then the NBA will likely have to give the PA something they want in return.

In the building trades apprenticeship programs run 4/5 years before becoming a Journeyman. I have never seen anyone take them to court to have their schooling reduced, but with the prima donnas of the world......

Rules are rules and when they sign on they need to be followed or find another trade.

I think it should be like Baseball, you can go right away out of highschool or you have to stay in college 2 or 3 years. That is fair IMO and helps the college game.

+1 This seems best for everyone involved.