Probable NCAA First Round Opponent | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Probable NCAA First Round Opponent

They are a solid 15 and if any other major-loss mid-majors win a conference tournament they were weren't supposed to, they could have a chance at moving up. Like I said, not likely, but as the conversation on air was going, I just knew they were going to mention SU. I think SU would kill them as the UVM guard play is pretty average, even for a mid-major.

go Great Danes! How about Will Brown as a big time coaching candidate? He has done alot at Albany and should be able to recruit LI and NYC pretty well.

One of the hosts is a guy named Chris Villani who is an SU (Newhouse) grad and he mentioned with some disgust that UVM would do well against a team that struggles to score and that meant Syracuse.

I went to school with that guy. He's kind of an idiot. Always was a HUGE homer for NE sports teams, and didn't really show much objectivity.

(I was in Newhouse as well but am not working in the media industry).

Agree about Kentucky, not sure I would be signing up for that matchup as quickly as most here are. UVA could definitely be a problem but outside of that one Duke game they cant score either. No matter who you play as a 5 seed the opponent is less then optimal. Will be nice not to have to worry about a major upset this year as a 1 seed I know that.

I want to see a team like Kentucky because they score points and really dont defend well. I want to see teams that have little trouble scoring but also have trouble defending. This is exact reason is why I dont want to see Virginia. The only exception to this is Iowa State. I dont want to have to sweat out 30 three point attempts.

I'm betting the NCAA and TV would both love to see an SU-UK matchup. Lots of story lines and TV viewers.

Sent using my Commodore 64

15/16 seeds tend to be seeded based on power rankings from what I have heard speculated. Its not something they use to seed at larges, but it is for the bottom lines. Vermont's KenPom is 128. They are not getting a 14. they are on the 15/16 seed border.

Having to play Albany doesn't help them. Stony Brook would have been a better match up if they had won that. Either way, I wasn't really interested in arguing where Vermont should be seeded, just that the conversation happened.

Yeah, good points. Akron w/o Abreu is no pushover I would add. They have Zeke Marshall, a 7 footer, who has some moves besides dunks and putbacks. 13 ppg player and former Top 100 recruit.
Akron would need an at-large to make the dance. Without Abreu they have little chance of winning the MAC tournament. Ohio went 14-2 with their only losses to Akron, plus Ohio has the leagues best PG in DJ Cooper. Akron went 13-0 and then lost 2 of their last 3 without Abreu.

Akron would need an at-large to make the dance. Without Abreu they have little chance of winning the MAC tournament. Ohio went 14-2 with their only losses to Akron, plus Ohio has the leagues best PG in DJ Cooper. Akron went 13-0 and then lost 2 of their last 3 without Abreu.

Good info. Well, looks like Akron is toast.

Give me St Marys, Kentucky, Boise State or Akron (remember their PG is suspended so they are a completely different team) over Virginia, Belmont, Tennessee or Iowa State.
IMO there is no way the committee will give UK a 12 seed or make them play in the First Four. The blue bloods always get "special" treatment and I bet they won't be lower than a 10 seed at worst and maybe even a 9 if they win a game in the SECT. Hope we can avoid UVA...their half court style of play, and letting them control the tempo due to our zone, would be bad for us. We will not beat anyone if we are in a half court game.

i think we go 3-1 in the BET and end up a 3 or 4 seed. otherwise i have no doubt in my mind we get matched up with Kentucky

IMO there is no way the committee will give UK a 12 seed or make them play in the First Four. The blue bloods always get "special" treatment and I bet they won't be lower than a 10 seed at worst and maybe even a 9 if they win a game in the SECT. Hope we can avoid UVA...their half court style of play, and letting them control the tempo due to our zone, would be bad for us. We will not beat anyone if we are in a half court game.

Can I take this bet?

Kentucky was an 11 seed in 2008.

This thread is a good read and full of useful information but I think Syracuse's biggest opponent the first round will be themselves.

That's deep.

I went to school with that guy. He's kind of an idiot. Always was a HUGE homer for NE sports teams, and didn't really show much objectivity.

(I was in Newhouse as well but am not working in the media industry).

Villani was fired from the job here in VT last week and will be moving back to Mass where he does weekend work at WEEI. The replacement is another SU guy - A.J. Kanell. Know him?

I see no lower then a 4 seed.
Although If we move up to a 1 or a 2 possibly Uconn.

Last edited:
I see no lower then a 4 seed.
Although If we move up to a 1 or a 2 possibly Uconn.
This thread is from last March! 2014 is a 1 seed!:)

No offense intended to anybody, but this is one of the most non-sensical threads ever 0n this forum.

The team hasn't even played a game yet & we are assigning them a 5 seed, not to mention narrowing down a field of opponents.

EDIT - my bad - as pointed out I did not realize that this was a Lazarus thread.

Last edited:
No offense intended to anybody, but this is one of the most non-sensical threads ever 0n this forum.

The team hasn't even played a game yet & we are assigning them a 5 seed, not to mention narrowing down a field of opponents.
Not Sure if serious.jpg

Check out the date of the OP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom