Program Development - Redshirt | Syracusefan.com

Program Development - Redshirt

GoSU96

Living Legend
Marrone's first group of incoming players he was able to redshirt 3 guys, Harris (transfer) and two freshmen Pugh and Phillips.

Last season: 9 incoming players didn't play: Goggins (transfer) and freshmen Beaulieu, Copa, Hickey, Kinder, Miller, Robinson, Welsh, West.

This year 14 incoming players didn't play, Alexander (transfer), and freshmen Addazio, Curtis, Eskridge, Foy, George, Hale, Hunt, Mungwa, Robinson, Simmons, Sloan, Trudo, Vigille

There were obviously some issues regarding injury/eligibility for some listed above but it still is a positive trend.

I hope this is an indication of more depth both in numbers and quality. I look forward to the day when a player is yanked after his 2nd or 3rd personal foul penalty.

or fumble or dropped pass or missed tackle

I dont blame a coach for playing fresh but it sure we would be nice not to have to play a kid like Reddish in a year or two. Unless a kid can play and make an immediate impact, it will be nice to see them sit. I think the athleticism has been improved, I just don't know if the football players have YET. Most of these kids need 2 years minumum but sure would be nice if we could get a qb ready for next year

Marrone's first group of incoming players he was able to redshirt 3 guys, Harris (transfer) and two freshmen Pugh and Phillips.

Last season: 9 incoming players didn't play: Goggins (transfer) and freshmen Beaulieu, Copa, Hickey, Kinder, Miller, Robinson, Welsh, West.

This year 14 incoming players didn't play, Alexander (transfer), and freshmen Addazio, Curtis, Eskridge, Foy, George, Hale, Hunt, Mungwa, Robinson, Simmons, Sloan, Trudo, Vigille

There were obviously some issues regarding injury/eligibility for some listed above but it still is a positive trend.

Very good point and one that can easily be missed during a slide like the end of this season. Like everyone else here, I too was frustrated at Mac, Hay, the special teams, the dropped passes, etc. But unless there is a better (or at least equal) backup, we just don't have the depth we need or expect. Given what I've heard from Marrone, I would think he would substitute some of these guys out if the backup was just slightly less effective that the offending starter. Since he didn't do that in several well documented spots tells me we are still building the foundation.

Normally I don't like a 6-6 or even 7-5 team that goes to a bowl. But since every other mediocre team in the country is going and since the young guys could probably use the extra practice/development time, I really wanted that 6th win, just for the same of the program's future.

First class looks small at this point. I think you forgot Loeb and Rishard Anderson on the redshirt list from the first class.

And of that class, only 5 guys remaining who played as true freshmen (Lemon, Licky, Shamarko, Chibane who played for 30 seconds I think, Sharpe). Phillip would have been #6. EJ Carter #7. Can't remember who else was in that class, Torian Phillips maybe?

Could have around 37 of 85 on the 2012 team, 44% for you #'s lovers, who have 4 years of eligibility in front of them (inclusive of 2012 season). Going to be a very young team. Worries me a bit about how 2012 will go, but should (repeat should) set us up well for ACC times ahead, assuming we are good at player development.

First class looks small at this point. I think you forgot Loeb and Rishard Anderson on the redshirt list from the first class.

And of that class, only 5 guys remaining who played as true freshmen (Lemon, Licky, Shamarko, Chibane who played for 30 seconds I think, Sharpe). Phillip would have been #6. EJ Carter #7. Can't remember who else was in that class, Torian Phillips maybe?

Could have around 37 of 85 on the 2012 team, 44% for you #'s lovers, who have 4 years of eligibility in front of them (inclusive of 2012 season). Going to be a very young team. Worries me a bit about how 2012 will go, but should (repeat should) set us up well for ACC times ahead, assuming we are good at player development.

Yep, missed Loeb. Anderson played his freshmen year, and took a medical redshirt the year after.

I've been saying that lack of depth and the redshirting of Marrone's recruits have hurt. When a starter is dinged up, tired or commits a bonehead play, there isn't a quality second layer of the depth chart to go to. That is also evident on special teams. With 2 or 3 more decent classes, we will have better depth and better special teams. And hopefully the first team kids won't get as worn down. The past few seasons, it seems like they have dropped off 6 or 7games in to the year. I thought it was the lack of a bye week last year. But it happened this year too.

In a perfect world we RS all but maybe 4 or 5 true frosh... and the ones we don't are making an immidiate impact.

i'd rather win games.

With Dougs recruiting focus which is to bring in kids that have the speed frame athletic ability to be true diamonds in the rough it is tough to count on many contributing as frosh. The problem has been we have been so thin that guys like Reddish have been forced into action. I actually think that until we are in the ACC and until we have a some new facilities Dougs approach to recruiting is the best we can hope for.

i'd rather win games.
Don't you see any connection between redshirting and having players better prepared to win games?

Don't you see any connection between redshirting and having players better prepared to win games?

sort of. the best freshman don't redshirt. many teams use a lot of true frosh. the better the team, the more that play.