Project Rudy | Syracusefan.com

Project Rudy

Ugh, private capital. Not surprised that people on the outside are looking to pounce.

Ugh, private capital. Not surprised that people on the outside are looking to pounce.
People on the outside have been pouncing for decades. That's how college sports ended up where they are. Too late to put the pin back in the grenade.

What do we care as long as nobody is left out?
I'm no expert but my understanding of private equity is that by design their playbook is to maximize profits without regard to the actual product, not good for consumers.

Just off the top of my head I would fear jacked up network prices and seat increases. Again, I'm not an expert on this but it's what I fear from what I have heard.

Did we know this:

And then, last Friday, two university presidents (West Virginia and Syracuse) authored an open letter in the Chronicle of Higher Education urging their presidential colleagues to take action to avoid the Big Ten and SEC merging into a “36-school super league.”

In an interesting wrinkle, Yahoo Sports obtained a copy of the original letter. It was signed by six university presidents. Four of the presidents removed their signatures before publication, most notably one each from the SEC and Big Ten.

Did we know this:

And then, last Friday, two university presidents (West Virginia and Syracuse) authored an open letter in the Chronicle of Higher Education urging their presidential colleagues to take action to avoid the Big Ten and SEC merging into a “36-school super league.”

In an interesting wrinkle, Yahoo Sports obtained a copy of the original letter. It was signed by six university presidents. Four of the presidents removed their signatures before publication, most notably one each from the SEC and Big Ten.
Wildhack is on the ball, that is obvious. He is definitely working to ensure we don't get left behind.

Did we know this:

Probably Northwestern and Vanderbilt.

I was generally okay with it up until the part about 8 "permanent" Tier-1 members. We keep perpetuating the stacking of the deck in favor of the teams that already have the most money and power. Let them compete on a level playing field...if they generate results, they'll continue to reap the rewards. If it's okay to let WVU or Kansas struggle to climb into the top tiers, it should be okay for Alabama to have to do the same if they have a run of bad seasons.

I still think they should embrace 2 x 28/32/36 with divisions of 4 teams. B1G is the NFC and SEC is the AFC. You can get just about every P4 team in and the only FBS States left out would potentially be Hawaii, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, Delaware, and Connecticut.

I like relegation and promotion. I don't like permanent members of anything, but I do understand the concept of brands and perhaps some brands are more valuable than others even when they aren't winning.

The concept of teams being "exempt" from being relegated down a tier is BS and isn't a open system.

The concept of killing the G5 sucks too.
The other concept being proposed is much better than this.

The other concept being proposed is much better than this.
Was that the one of 12 "pods" of 6 teams each? I liked that one but I've never been a fan of odd numbers unless you plan on playing each team twice.

Have to figure this model would formally move recruiting to being openly described as Free Agency.

I would rather have private capital's version rather than Sankey's after his recent commnets.
The Sankey vision, which is the majority vision for both the SEC and BT (meaning, some school ADs and Presidents/Chancellors are opposed), is a flat out shark eat shark one in which the SEC and BT destroy everything and take what few pieces they want and move on. They want 2 leagues working together and with no one else.

Wildhack is on the ball, that is obvious. He is definitely working to ensure we don't get left behind.
we're on record and we'll spearhead the anti trust lawsuit if the BIG/SEC split away. The hope if ND joins in our lawsuit along with all the blue/red states that are left out.

i think a solution is coming based on this plan and the fact that Syracuse is leading the way with WVU.

The concept of teams being "exempt" from being relegated down a tier is BS and isn't a open system.

The concept of killing the G5 sucks too.
Sucks, but that should not be a deal breaker. Right now, it looks like the clear majorities both SEC and BT are itching to do to the ACC what has been done to the Pac and then maybe also take a couple more from the Big 12, and that those 2 leagues move on and run their new grouping alone. That is much worse for all of college athletics than this Project Rudy.

Never let the desire for ideal ruin your seeing and accepting that which can prevent the worst from coming to fruition. And all of us not SEC or BT face the worst.

we're on record and we'll spearhead the anti trust lawsuit if the BIG/SEC split away. The hope if ND joins in our lawsuit along with all the blue/red states that are left out.

i think a solution is coming based on this plan and the fact that Syracuse is leading the way with WVU.
They can use the existing framework and split without actually splitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom