Projected Spring 2 Deep | Syracusefan.com

Projected Spring 2 Deep

OrangeBlood

Starter
Just to get some conversation starting on the football side I wanted to see everyones guess on the spring 2-deep. Here is mine:
QB:
Nassib
Loeb (Hunt would have been but he couldn't resists seashell necklaces).
RB:
Smith
Gulley
Moore
FB:
Davis
Burke
TE:
Wales
Stevens
X:
Sales
Foster
Z:
West
Kobena
LT:
Pugh
Phillips
LG:
Chibane
C:
Macpherson
RG:
Foy
Alexander
RT:
Hickey
Kurtis
Robinson
SDE:
Robinson
WDE:
Sharpe
Simmons
NT:
Goggins
Crume
DT:
Bromley
Boatman
SLB:
Lynch
Vaughn
MLB:
Diabete
Coker
WLB:
Davis
Vigille
SS:
Thomas
Mungwa
FS:
Desir
Wilkes
Field Corner:
Anderson
George
Short Corner:
Eskridge
Reddish
K:
Krautman
Lichtenstein
P:
Fisher
Raupers
PR:
Rene
Kobena
KR:
Kobena
Gulley

**Not a lot of depth at all at DE. The JUCOS will have to be good. Inside OL and at Safety (esp if Shu goes to OLB) also need depth. Hopefully Spruill, Trudo, Lyn, Lemon all heal up for fall. We need them.

Take your shots

Pretty good list. Is Keon missing spring practice? I hadn't heard. But either way, I think Anderson is the short corner, and will practice as such this spring. There's no way Lyn isn't the #1 coverage guy.

I think Alexander will be over Foy. I just don't think Foy is ready for the big time.

The other question is the battle for the #2 QB slot.

alexander over foy, foy is not ready. Curtis may push hickey, especially if his knee is not 100%, then again curtis is coming off an injury too. Wilkes at FS because of experience. Not too sure if Vaughn is ready to give it up to lynch. We will see this spring. I expect Lynch to win out by the summer. Also, I talked to Ashton. he said the other QB's including Nassib are really impressed with him during the workouts so far. Haha

I thought Desir was a CB and Eskridge was the potential heir to the FS spot. Wilkes I think gets the nod to begin the spring but could get pushed by fall.

Where's Lemon? Where's Spruill? What am I missing?

lemon, spruill, trudo, Lyn, are out this spring recovering from surgeries.

Just to get some conversation starting on the football side I wanted to see everyones guess on the spring 2-deep. Here is mine:
QB:
Nassib
Loeb (Hunt would have been but he couldn't resists seashell necklaces).
RB:
Smith
Gulley
Moore
FB:
Davis
Burke
TE:
Wales
Stevens
X:
Sales
Foster
Z:
West
Kobena
LT:
Pugh
Phillips
LG:
Chibane
C:
Macpherson
RG:
Foy
Alexander
RT:
Hickey
Kurtis
Robinson
SDE:
Robinson
WDE:
Sharpe
Simmons
NT:
Goggins
Crume
DT:
Bromley
Boatman
SLB:
Lynch
Vaughn
MLB:
Diabete
Coker
WLB:
Davis
Vigille
SS:
Thomas
Mungwa
FS:
Desir
Wilkes
Field Corner:
Anderson
George
Short Corner:
Eskridge
Reddish
K:
Krautman
Lichtenstein
P:
Fisher
Raupers
PR:
Rene
Kobena
KR:
Kobena
Gulley

**Not a lot of depth at all at DE. The JUCOS will have to be good. Inside OL and at Safety (esp if Shu goes to OLB) also need depth. Hopefully Spruill, Trudo, Lyn, Lemon all heal up for fall. We need them.

Take your shots

Good list. Agree with most of the small corrections suggested. I think the right guard position will be one of the most interesting competitions to follow this spring. Foy and Alexander were both really out of shape last season. Both struggled greatly to finish their conditioning runs at the end of practices. Neither looked remotely close to being able to contribute. Not sure if either has gotten serious about getting into shape. Both look like decent athletes if not for their weight issues. We have a lot more depth at tackle. Think we might well give one of Robinson, Curtis, Hickey or Phillips a shot at the starting position at guard (they will also be competing for the open tackle position).

Curtis and Phillips might be best suited to move to guard.

Big spring for John Kinder. It is put up or shut up time for him.

The guy I am most looking forward to seeing play is Broyld. Regardless of whether he ends up a star or not, he is fun to watch play.

Is Carl Cutler still around? I thought he would be #1 at FB, or was his latest injury career-ending?
.....and I must admit that I had to look up who Burke is...after checking out Burke's size, I like.

I thought the staff was in love with Hickey and I considered him as the frontrunner at RT. With that in mind, I like the idea of seeing what Andrew Phillips can do at the open guard slot since he filled in well for Hay at tackle when called upon. Of course you can easily look at that the other way with Phillips at RT and Hickey at RG.

My darkhorse is Phillips on the offensive line. I think he played well in relief of Hay this past and season and he'll be thoroughly in the mix.

Is Carl Cutler still around? I thought he would be #1 at FB, or was his latest injury career-ending?
.....and I must admit that I had to look up who Burke is...after checking out Burke's size, I like.

Cutler is expected back for August practice.

Think we might well give one of Robinson, Curtis, Hickey or Phillips a shot at the starting position at guard (they will also be competing for the open tackle position).

Curtis and Phillips might be best suited to move to guard.

Is Phillips big enough to play guard?

Foy is definitely not in shape yet...he might look a little more in shape than when he arrived, but I don't see him starting this year. Alexander has the spot over him, but I think Phillips and Hickey will be the starters on the right side with Alexander seeing some playing time at guard, possibly LG after all the issues Chibane is having.

Cam Lynch has added on probably 15-20 lbs. so with the added size I don't see Vaughan coming close to starting over him. On a side not, Lynch has really acclimated to the school well, and is the guy that will definitely give the defense a spark. He knows everyone and seems to be that kind of guy that people just gravitate to and follow. He's definitely a team leader in the making already.

If Hunt isn't in the doghouse then he's the number 2 guy unless Broyld has a monster spring, and I don't see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Broyld sees some action at the skill positions while he's learning the offense (might help him learn it faster if he understands what the skill guys are supposed to do).

Also, I think we'll see Reddish step into a role on returns while he's developing at corner.

I agree with most of what you have. I think Smith/Gulley will be a 1A/1B type thing and they will split touches with Moore having some packages. I think Clay Cleveland has a chance to play fullback as well (and don't be surprised if Addazio gets some H-Back type time like Stevens did a few years ago). I wouldn't include Sales until it is official (although it seems to be heading there), maybe Flemming or Hale. Alexander is staying at Guard, but don't be surprised if Phillips moves in as well. I believe Marrone will put the best 5 out and fit them into a position (Chibane would be Macky's backup I believe as well). On defense I think one of the Goggins/Bromley (probably Goggins) will get some burn at DE in advance of Zion Jones coming in. I also think Coker will get the nod @ MLB because he has gotten a lot thicker, although Diabate will retain his 3rd down backer spot. Desir will be started out @ CB but may move depending on how Wilkes/Eskeridge play. I don't think Gulley will be returning kicks and as was prior stated don't be surprised if Reddish gets some burn as the punt returner at the very least.

I agree with most of what you have. I think Smith/Gulley will be a 1A/1B type thing and they will split touches with Moore having some packages. I think Clay Cleveland has a chance to play fullback as well (and don't be surprised if Addazio gets some H-Back type time like Stevens did a few years ago). I wouldn't include Sales until it is official (although it seems to be heading there), maybe Flemming or Hale. Alexander is staying at Guard, but don't be surprised if Phillips moves in as well. I believe Marrone will put the best 5 out and fit them into a position (Chibane would be Macky's backup I believe as well). On defense I think one of the Goggins/Bromley (probably Goggins) will get some burn at DE in advance of Zion Jones coming in. I also think Coker will get the nod @ MLB because he has gotten a lot thicker, although Diabate will retain his 3rd down backer spot. Desir will be started out @ CB but may move depending on how Wilkes/Eskeridge play. I don't think Gulley will be returning kicks and as was prior stated don't be surprised if Reddish gets some burn as the punt returner at the very least.
I believe someone posted that Rob Moore said Sales was completely back. Sales and Lyn have been hanging real close lately, and Marcus was never around any of the football players in the fall. He's started wearing his team clothing again as well, so I'm sure he's officially back. I agree with most of what you say.

What are your guys' thoughts on Moore? Will he develop into our main back down the road? Especially after we brought in McFarlane and Morris, I would assume there's a sense that this year is crucial for him to solidify himself before the new backs are able to assert themselves.

What are your guys' thoughts on Moore? Will he develop into our main back down the road? Especially after we brought in McFarlane and Morris, I would assume there's a sense that this year is crucial for him to solidify himself before the new backs are able to assert themselves.
I think this year Moore needs to show he's going to remain at TB vs a move to FB. I'd love to see him be able to win the job this year. It's there for the taking imo. Neither Smith or Gulley have done anything yet to show they have earned the job. After this season there should be an incumbent starter so yes I guess this is a crucial year for Moore. But if he's not ready til next year he'll still have something the other backs do not...like about an extra 30-50 lbs. Unless Smith or Gulley breakout Moore should get every carry inside the 10. Would love to see him become a battering ram.

I believe someone posted that Rob Moore said Sales was completely back. Sales and Lyn have been hanging real close lately, and Marcus was never around any of the football players in the fall. He's started wearing his team clothing again as well, so I'm sure he's officially back. I agree with most of what you say.

I thought Moore was a major disappointment his frosh year. Came in really overweight, had a number of chances to win playing time and was not able to take advantage. I don't think he can play RB at this level at the weight he played at last season. Based on his HS film, if he can get in reasonable shape, he could be a solid back for us.

What does he want more, to eat or to play?

I thought Moore was a major disappointment his frosh year. Came in really overweight, had a number of chances to win playing time and was not able to take advantage. I don't think he can play RB at this level at the weight he played at last season. Based on his HS film, if he can get in reasonable shape, he could be a solid back for us.

Yep and he also ran to the wrong hole in the Uconn game and I'm not sure he saw the field again after that.

It's too bad he played last year because he really should've of redshirted. He wasn't anyhwere near ready to play.

IMHO, his future is at fullback.

And I don't understand why that happened. He came in early and spent the summer here to get in better shape. He worked a lot with Bailey who took him under his wing. You would think he would have been in great shape and ready to go by fall.

I also think Coker will get the nod @ MLB because he has gotten a lot thicker, although Diabate will retain his 3rd down backer spot.
scarecrow_oz.gif

If he only had a brain...

And I don't understand why that happened. He came in early and spent the summer here to get in better shape. He worked a lot with Bailey who took him under his wing. You would think he would have been in great shape and ready to go by fall.
He doesn't even have a lot of muscle to support the weight, which is a huge concern to me. There are linemen at the 300 pound mark on our team that look much more defined in the upper body, neck, and face than Moore. I think he has a great skill set for this offense, but can he get in shape? I definitely like the backs HCDM has brought, and by no means are they elite, but I do like the skill sets in the backfield. It's a nice variety to say the least.

Kris Curtis over Hickey IMO at RT
Have you heard something (i.e. Hickey's rehab) to influence your opinion? I remember reading a couple years ago that the coaches' were extremely high on Hickey. Obviously, that was two knee surgeries ago.

Have you heard something (i.e. Hickey's rehab) to influence your opinion? I remember reading a couple years ago that the coaches' were extremely high on Hickey. Obviously, that was two knee surgeries ago.
Let's just say there was a chance Curtis could have played in Hay's place last year if he didn't get injured from what I heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom