Props to JB and the team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Props to JB and the team

The point about Delazaj in the high post is an interesting one. Given, over the years, we have had our ears bleed out from any number of announcers screaming that the opponent needs to get the ball to the logo against our zone, why did it take JB to add this wrinkle to the zone offense? My guess is that it's not a new wrinkle, we have been trying it but with Brissett in the middle and Brissett is completely lost when he gets the ball at that point. The reality is if you had to create a player to play at that spot Brissett would be exactly what you would look for. His lack of progression as a basketball player has really hurt us this year

Hmm. I don't recall the team ever using Brissett in that capacity. He always seems to be out behind the three point line looking to shoot or drive.

I agree that it would make sense to do so, especially if he showed any capability to hit that free-throw line extended jump shot [which he hasn't really shown thus far], like Otis used to.

I'm just glad we're finally doing it. Marek's versatility forces the defense to react, which opens things up and creates passing lanes / open looks, which with his court vision he can exploit. Reminds me a lot of back in the day, when we used to sub in the sweet passing Derek Brower to play the high post [I know that it seems ridiculous to label Brower as such, but it is the truth].

The ball HAS to go inside to some degree -- it didn't at all for the first 15 or so games. We can see what a difference it makes to the flow, team ball movement, and how it generates both easy scoring opportunities inside and open looks from three that weren't there at the beginning part of the season.

Hmm. I don't recall the team ever using Brissett in that capacity. He always seems to be out behind the three point line looking to shoot or drive.

I agree that it would make sense to do so, especially if he showed any capability to hit that free-throw line extended jump shot [which he hasn't really shown thus far], like Otis used to.

I'm just glad we're finally doing it. Marek's versatility forces the defense to react, which opens things up and creates passing lanes / open looks, which with his court vision he can exploit. Reminds me a lot of back in the day, when we used to sub in the sweet passing Derek Brower to play the high post [I know that it seems ridiculous to label Brower as such, but it is the truth].

The ball HAS to go inside to some degree -- it didn't at all for the first 15 or so games. We can see what a difference it makes to the flow, team ball movement, and how it generates both easy scoring opportunities inside and open looks from three that weren't there at the beginning part of the season.

I'm pretty sure we've tried it a few times, but he doesn't do it right. Never looks to the sides, and always has his back to the basket, unless he's determined to drive. He needs to at least look like he may attempt a shot for that to ever work.

Just my opinion but there is a big difference between you and some other posters.

You criticize. They condemn.

You criticize the offense. You do so very aggressively, No doubt. And just, MHO, but given all the injuries and changes, I thought your criticism came a little early and often but I never went after you for it because you were criticizing a specific part of the program.

But when a poster says that Boeheim has to go or that the game has passed him by or that a player is awful and will never be any good, or that the coach is only playing a player because of the name on the back of his jersey, that is a blanket condemnation.

Big difference.
I'm not really sure what is the difference between a critical post and a condemning post. Is it reader's perception? What is the cutoff and who decides? I'm just a caveman with a simple brain. This world frightens and confuses me. I'm just trying to navigate all of these posting rules.

I'm not really sure what is the difference between a critical post and a condemning post. Is it reader's perception? What is the cutoff and who decides? I'm just a caveman with a simple brain. This world frightens and confuses me. I'm just trying to navigate all of these posting rules.

He does.

1548450234942.png

He lives on the pay side.

Only 'Bees knows the way...

The point about Delazaj in the high post is an interesting one. Given, over the years, we have had our ears bleed out from any number of announcers screaming that the opponent needs to get the ball to the logo against our zone, why did it take JB to add this wrinkle to the zone offense? My guess is that it's not a new wrinkle, we have been trying it but with Brissett in the middle and Brissett is completely lost when he gets the ball at that point. The reality is if you had to create a player to play at that spot Brissett would be exactly what you would look for. His lack of progression as a basketball player has really hurt us this year

Marek shredded somebody that zoned us(Texas Southern?) from the high post early last year, so putting him there isn’t really new for us.

Putting the ball in Tyus' hands more to initiate earlier has really helped. The tempo has sped up a bit, though our pace is still quite slow. But we're starting to get better shots, especially for Hughes and Buddy. Those guys can hit shots when they aren't rushed or forced to shoot.

Teams need to deny Tyus the ball. They should force Frank, Oshae and the rest to beat guys off the dribble.

Hitting shots is a magic elixir, but if they aren't falling, we're pretty much dead (i.e. GTech, ODU, UConn, etc)

I read your response last night.

The thread was locked so I could not respond.

Here is how I took it:

Hillsman's statement was all about personal accountability - a coach standing in front of the mic and taking personal responsibility for the poor play of his team.

Your question was then would JB EVER do such a thing ie. would JB ever stand up and hold himself accountable for his team's play - the implication being that JB does not hold himself responsible for his team's poor play. That is a pretty damning statement.

Having explained that, if you did mean something much more benign then that, I apologize.

My perception of you is that you are not particularly favorably inclined towards JB but you are also not someone who is just looking to hammer him at every opportunity so, you are correct, I should have asked you exactly what you meant before jumping down your throat.
I appreciate you responding, and apology...thank you.

I'll admit, I was somewhat taken aback, again considering you & I have really not engaged in any dialog over the years, and certainly not anything of discontent. Moreover, I'm not, or have been, a poster who posts condemning things, etc., but rather if criticizing, attempting to do it from an objective and constructive point of view.

In regards to your implication remark and your ensuing damning sentiment, this is part of the problem here at times, some are so quick to jump to conclusions rather than 'seeking to understand.' My last post in that thread prior to it being deleted (due to one small sentence about another past poster I was a fan of) along with a few subsequent posts related to it, and afterwards ultimately locked, I had said as much. And, quoted a great saying from Dr. Stephen Covey, perhaps you saw it, but here it is:

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."

That perception you have of me that I'm not favorably inclined towards JB is misunderstood. Honestly, it couldn't be further from the truth. I have been a huge JB supporter, and this program, for over 40 plus years. It's apparent, however, since we are dealing here with text dialog, etc. vs. audio or face to face, that what is being interpreted by you, along with a few others as well, contributes to that perception.

Peace.

Go Orange!
I've quoted posts like this before, but it bears repeating. This is the way to disagree without being disagreeable. Kudos, gentlemen.

I need to reread these before I post, sometimes. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom