Proud to be a 'Cuse fan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Proud to be a 'Cuse fan

Rainbows! Unicorns! Syracuse and Marshmallow Championships!!!

That work for you?

This place is not that bad. At least the criticism is based on basketball observations due to this board having a fairly high bball iq. No one attacks players personally.

What's "bball iq" mean?

I think this is generally a generational thing. At 49 years of age, I'm from a generation that told it (and was told) exactly how it was, no candy coating bs, etc. Speaking the truth, being brutally honest...if the truth hurts, than fix it...deal with it, etc. This kind of candor made us tougher individuals and to persevere, tough skin sort of speak...the 'ol adage, sticks and stones...

Today, at least in my general experience, the younger generation has a more difficult time (quoting an epic line) "you can't handle the truth," dealing with such candor. Many have been pampered, stroked all their lives, etc., I'm a proud parent of an exceptional kid bumper stickers, all kids receiving little league trophies, etc., etc.

I guess as a 49 year old parent, an argument can certainly be made that we've contributed in creating such an apparent fragile culture for the younger. Clearly, there is a certain degree of tact that should be used in relaying what is said, but our culture has evolved to being so touchy & overly sensitive to even a whiff of speaking the honest, and sometimes brutal truth...just my $.02.
"Not what you say but how you say it" was 2-3 generations before you not after you. Quote is attributed to Mae West. It was and is a way of saying things that get people to listen to you without offending them and more ready to accept what you have to say. It has nothing to do with pampering or stroking somebody.

Last edited:
I think this is generally a generational thing. At 49 years of age, I'm from a generation that told it (and was told) exactly how it was, no candy coating bs, etc. Speaking the truth, being brutally honest...if the truth hurts, than fix it...deal with it, etc. This kind of candor made us tougher individuals and to persevere, tough skin sort of speak...the 'ol adage, sticks and stones...

Today, at least in my general experience, the younger generation has a more difficult time (quoting an epic line) "you can't handle the truth," dealing with such candor. Many have been pampered, stroked all their lives, etc., I'm a proud parent of an exceptional kid bumper stickers, all kids receiving little league trophies, etc., etc.

I guess as a 49 year old parent, an argument can certainly be made that we've contributed in creating such an apparent fragile culture for the younger. Clearly, there is a certain degree of tact that should be used in relaying what is said, but our culture has evolved to being so touchy & overly sensitive to even a whiff of speaking the honest, and sometimes brutal truth...just my $.02.

From what I've seen, everyone is like that. No one wants to be told that they aren't good at something. I do think that some of the younger folk who grew up with the internet since birth may be more inclined to say stuff with the safety of anonymity since they've always been able to. The age of trolling.

What's sadder, kids who can't handle basketball criticism or adults who can't handle kids losing at basketball?

This is a great philosophical debate of our times. Would you rather have an army of kids with strong self-esteems or just a few kids where everyone else is told they suck and might as well give up.

My basketball team was not able to beat any of the teams from north Jersey but in our division we took first place. My players were pretty happy about it and it will be a extremely positive lifetime memory. But I doubt any of them will ever get invited to play AAU. Are you saying I should tell them they really suck so I can say "you can't handle the truth". Seems kind of cruel to me. Hey, whatever floats your boat!

"Not what you say but how you say it" was 1-2 generations before you not after you. It was and is a way of saying things that get people to listen to you without offending them and more ready to accept what you have to say. It has nothing to do with pampering or stroking somebody.

Well, it was called tough love from my parents and theirs, aunts, uncles, etc. I don't recall too much of how tactful ('how you say it' ) things were stated back then...there wasn't much thought of how things were said...it was just said. People make conscious decisions to personally decide what may offend them...many things that offend today, in my opinion, are things that are blown out of proportion and overly sensitive about. And, don't kid yourself about a generation of stroked individuals. Even when saying things with tact (as I previously eluded to) they are generally dumbfounded by the honest critique of various shortcomings...

Last edited:
This is a great philosophical debate of our times. Would you rather have an army of kids with strong self-esteems or just a few kids where everyone else is told they suck and might as well give up.

My basketball team was not able to beat any of the teams from north Jersey but in our division we took first place. My players were pretty happy about it and it will be a extremely positive lifetime memory. But I doubt any of them will ever get invited to play AAU. Are you saying I should tell them they really suck so I can say "you can't handle the truth". Seems kind of cruel to me. Hey, whatever floats your boat!
I've never wanted to be "good enough". My coaches instilled that in me playing basketball and football my whole life and my current job is ultra-competitive. I'm 30 years old and have been in competitive situations ever since I was 15.

It's an interesting topic as our views of the team we root for actually seem driven by our life experiences. You're a lot more lax with your criticism when I (admittedly) may be pretty harsh at times.

I've never wanted to be "good enough". My coaches instilled that in me playing basketball and football my whole life and my current job is ultra-competitive. I'm 30 years old...

It's funny, when you get older and your own limitations start smacking you in the face you tend to soften your tone with regards to competition and self-reliance. Don't worry, after 30, it's a downward skid...

No, that's not the premise of the point I was attempting to make. Harsh criticism is not saying you're useless, etc. Your example of saying your team sucks is extreme hyperbole, obviously they've attained a certain amount of achievement & certainly will take positive memories with them. But, the fact is they're not the best, so no need to candy coat it. They should be able to figure it out themselves, realizing they do not suck (your words) but rather in the entire realm they are not the the greatest in the world, etc., so don't feed them with such falseness, which many younger parents have done with today's psycho babble ways of parenting, etc.

This acclaimed author offers quite an interesting perspective.

http://rosemond.com/

Last edited:
No, that's not the premise of the point I was attempting to make. Harsh criticism is not saying you're useless, etc. Your example of saying your team sucks is extreme hyperbole, obviously they've attained a certain amount of achievement & certainly will take positive memories with them. But, the fact is they're not the best, so no need to candy coat it. They should be able to figure it out themselves, realizing they do not suck (your words) but rather in the entire realm they are not the the greatest in the world, etc., so don't feed them with such falseness, which many younger parents have done with today's psycho babble ways of parenting, etc.

If interested, this PH.D author offers great perspective.

http://rosemond.com/

I agree no need to candy coat it. When you start on third base, hit a single, and then pretend you hit home run is not the same thing as starting from home plate! I expect a 6' 8" player to dunk the ball. It's not a mystery of nature. My opinion of "greatest in the world", your words, is more egalitarian. Your view of "greatest" is more Darwinian. Which way is better is an opinion. I do not share your opinion.

When I was growing up there was a son of a very successful lawyer I was friends with. He was a extremely good basketball player but he was only 5'11". He wanted to become and NBA player more anything. His father told him it would never happen. It crushed the kid and he never ever amounted to anything. He just gave up. He's a bum probably driving a truck now or living job to job. His father crushed his dreams. His father was probably realistic but to when end?

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-shortest-nba-players.php

I agree no need to candy coat it. When you start on third base, hit a single, and then pretend you hit home run is not the same thing as starting from home plate! I expect a 6' 8" player to dunk the ball. It's not a mystery of nature. My opinion of "greatest in the world", your words, is more egalitarian. Your view of "greatest" is more Darwinian. Which way is better is an opinion. I do not share your opinion.

When I was growing up there was a son of a very successful lawyer I was friends with. He was a extremely good basketball player but he was only 5'11". He wanted to become and NBA player more anything. His father told him it would never happen. It crushed the kid and he never ever amounted to anything. He just gave up. He's a bum probably driving a truck now or living job to job. His father crushed his dreams. His father was probably realistic but to when end?

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-shortest-nba-players.php

That's unfortunate. But, just as you've provided an example of one extreme, there are many, many examples of success by perseverance, fight and strong will, and, with quite likely considerably more obstacles to overcome. Your childhood friend gave up on his dreams, that was his own doing. I opine that there were likely other issues that altered his plight as well. You can point the finger and blame other people all you want for one's life circumstances, but you have the power to change it, as did your childhood friend once he became an adult (as he and only he has control over his own life) unfortunately, he chose not to.

There's a lot of people who take any criticism of JB, Keita, Cooney or Fair like someone is bullying their kid. It's a messageboard and as long as the attacks aren't personal, it's not a huge deal IMO. What should we talk about? How we can't score...well who's fault is that? Obviously the talk will be about the coach and players.
What are you saying you must hate JB, Keita, Fair and Cooney. Get off this board you troll!! Just kidding.

That's unfortunate. But, just as you've provided an example of one extreme, there are many, many examples of success by perseverance, fight and strong will, and, with quite likely considerably more obstacles to overcome. Your childhood friend gave up on his dreams, that was his own doing. I opine that there were likely other issues that altered his plight as well. You can point the finger and blame other people all you want for one's life circumstances, but you have the power to change it, as did your childhood friend once he became an adult (as he and only he has control over his own life) unfortunately, he chose not to.

Wait until you turn 50 and we will see how gungho you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom