PS article on Long & Zaire's recruiting prowess | Syracusefan.com

PS article on Long & Zaire's recruiting prowess

Cohen needs to get his facts correct. He states marrone signed no 4 star recruits. That is incorrect. Both Broyld and Thompson were 4 stars last year. Also does he only go by R***** rankings and if so why? Do they carry greater weight than S**** or ESPN?

I hope he reads this board because he's got a lot to learn. Putting an article on the front page of the news paper this morning saying SU's recruiting was lacking compared to others in the ACC is simply irresponsible. It's July and there's no way to accurately measure how SU is doing vs other schools. You shouldn't even consider doing comparisons until at least January.

Cohen needs to get his facts correct. He states marrone signed no 4 star recruits. That is incorrect. Both Broyld and Thompson were 4 stars last year. Also does he only go by R***** rankings and if so why? Do they carry greater weight than S**** or ESPN?

I hope he reads this board because he's got a lot to learn. Putting an article on the front page of the news paper this morning saying SU's recruiting was lacking compared to others in the ACC is simply irresponsible. It's July and there's no way to accurately measure how SU is doing vs other schools. You shouldn't even consider doing comparisons until at least January.
Check the comments

Michael Cohen | mcohen@syracuse.com

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for reading and discussing the article. It seems like most of you enjoyed it, and that's a great feeling. I just wanted to chime in and clear up some of the confusion over who was or wasn't a 4-star player under Doug Marrone.

Up until the creation of 24/7 sports, the main three recruiting services were Scout, Rivals and ESPN. Ashton Broyld was rated as a 3-star prospect by all three of those outlets upon finishing high school at Rush-Henrietta. Wayne Morgan was rated as a 4-star player by ESPN but received three stars from Scout and Rivals. Ron Thompson was rated as a 4-star player by Scout but only received three stars from Rivals and ESPN.

The policy I used when writing this story is the one our football writers (Nate Mink, Chris Carlson, myself) will try to use going forward, and that is to use the rating most frequently given to a player. In other words, if John Doe receives three stars from two outlets and four stars from one outlet, we view him as a 3-star player. We will mention, of course, that he has received a 4-star ranking from one particular outlet, but we will not use that ranking unless it is from the majority of recruiting services.

A perfect example is A.J. Long, the 2014 verbal commit at quarterback. He is a 4-star player according to ESPN, but he is rated much lower on Scout and Rivals.

As I mentioned above, 24/7 Sports has gained in reputation lately as a recruiting service. We can begin to factor those rankings into the mix as well.

Hope this clears up any confusion and thank you, as always, for reading.

— Mike

actually, the average stars per recruit is probably the best way to compare - and of course to look across all the major services

but if you're some trying to use negativity to increase your page views and play to the worst parts of your audience, then it's exactly the kind of inaccurate slant you're looking for

I think we all agreed that Carlson's P-S article was a terrible piece of journalism - on several levels. Besides being based on completely bogus evaluation criteria, you'd never know it was written by the hometown newspaper.

Man, Franklin and Long sound like they could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves (reps to anyone who gets the reference). The way the plan, communicate and find out what buttons to push is really impressive.

One comparison I would like to see if how we did with our Spring/Summer verbals in the past couple of years versus the previous five to ten years. Seems like we have been getting more recruits, and better recruits, earlier in the recruiting process the last couple of years.

Or am I imagining that? I recall people on this board, and its previous incarnation, freaking out about having so few commits in December.

Man, Franklin and Long sound like they could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves (reps to anyone who gets the reference). The way the plan, communicate and find out what buttons to push is really impressive.
TOMMY BOY! "Richard you little rascal"

Check the comments
Revolutionary idea - (preaching to the choir, yeah yeah I know) - how about ignoring star rankings altogether? And using something like offer lists, which are tendered by coaches who have a dog in the fight, rather than hack assessments of athletes' quality authored by hacks with no dog in the fight.

Check, make that "glad-handing a paying customer base, masquerading as assessments of quality".

It really is unnecessary that we can't use certain words on this board in reference to certain other websites.

cub_scout_sign_color.jpg
and
Rivals_title.jpeg
should be in play.

They shouldn't be using "rating services" to evaluate anything. Webb and Rahme didn't do that in the past, they used offer lists and briefly mentioned what the other sites said. They never had the star rankings in the lede.

You're a lot closer to the program than I am. Do you know if these new reporters for the PS have any access at all to the AD?

Just seems like in the past with DR and Donnie's articles you'd get that off the record quote from a mysterious staff member who couldn't refer to the recruit by name but would give the fanbase the opinion that the staff had of the recruit. I don't see that at all anymore with these guys. Just seems like 75% of their articles are reiterating stuff that's publicly available on the recruiting services' websites.

Does he realize he's contradicting himself between his article and that comment? He said they'd use what the majority of the sites use, and says that AJ Long is the perfect example because ESPN rates him as a four star and is "much lower" elsewhere. Yet in that article he refers to AJ as a "four star quarterback"...um, what?

He doesn't even follow his own so-called rules.

What were his rankings for the Marrone era recruits when he went back and evaluated all of their film? I'm getting very close to putting him in the Poliquin category of never reading. He's not a good writer and comes across as a major douche.
PS if anyone knows who Tracy Milman is from the Stern show, I really wish I had a sound drop of her to emphasize my point.

I can't fault syr.com to devote too much "journalism" to the local teams. They seem to be busy doing features on how UCONN women's players spend their offseason.

Love AJ Long and his enthusiasm, but I'm not sure if it is wise mentioning to a reporter that you are talking to fans through private messaging. He is still a recruit, and now that statement is in print. Cohen should have tried to protect the kid a little bit by not publishing that quote.

Love AJ Long and his enthusiasm, but I'm not sure if it is wise mentioning to a reporter that you are talking to fans through private messaging. He is still a recruit, and now that statement is in print. Cohen should have tried to protect the kid a little bit by not publishing that quote.

A more seasoned reporter probably would've picked up on that.

You mean Mr. Cohen who broke the story on Curtis having a career ending injury before the kid even got a chance to tell his parents. That Mr. Cohen?