PS - JB on next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS - JB on next year

It's funny, that's actually why I remember them. There was one play where he caught the outlet at the opponent's three point line, turned, and fired it to a streaking Roberson for a dunk. I was temporarily stunned and confused by what I saw, so it stands out.

The Duke game. Yeah, that's the only one that I can name. But I vaguely recall a couple more.

Gbinije kept his head up and naturally moved downcourt with an outlet on his mind, while Ennis's instinct seemed to be to hesitate and move east-west slowly with the ball in his hands (except, of course, for his game-saving dash in Pittsburgh that earned him two free throws).

Damn, I miss run-outs and easy baskets.

The Duke game. Yeah, that's the only one that I can name. But I vaguely recall a couple more.

Gbinije kept his head up and naturally moved downcourt with an outlet on his mind, while Ennis's instinct seemed to be to hesitate and move east-west slowly with the ball in his hands (except, of course, for his game-saving dash in Pittsburgh that earned him two free throws).

Damn, I miss run-outs and easy baskets.
What continues to amaze me is all the criticism of SU's offense last year and the limitations of our freshman PG yet many of those same people continue to think said PG will excel in the NBA. I'm willing to concede that Ennis will be a 1st round pick and possible lottery pick (not "should be" but "will be"). But as often as we identify players who will be better in the NBA than college i do not see Ennis as one of those. I think his game/skillset are more in line with the college game. I honestly like Ennis and wish he would have stayed at SU for 4 years. I do not begrudge him leaving for the NBA at all. But the thought of him having to play against guys like Patrick Beverly make me fear for his health. If JB thought MCW could have ended up in the D-League had Philly not traded Holiday then I think Ennis is a cinch for D-League minutes this year. There is nothing about him that says "NBA player" to me.

Assuming that Buss makes progress, he'll see time if we run like JB says he'd like to see. Players can get gassed, especially early in the season if they have to push the pace a lot.

Interesting that JB hesitates to evaluate in-coming frosh until he sees them in practice, and isn't sure yet how much others will develop, or how the roles will evolve -- but posters are quick to judge based mainly on what they saw in the Canadian exhibitions or OOC games.

BJ and Buss have a chance to add to their games over the summer, same for Gbinije. I believe Gbinije will start at PG, but it depends on how much he has improved, and whether Joseph is ready for big minutes at the point.

I do know Buss isn't only a shooter or primarily a 3-point shooter. His best skill is quickness -- the ability to beat a defender to the basket, the ability to get his own shot, speed on the break. It isn't a combination that others bring and it gives him a chance to contribute. Especially since our two players who could get their own shots (Ennis and Fair) aren't around.

The great thing about college players is that they get better...sometimes. It means that we shouldn't say Buss is this, BJ is that, that's all we'll ever see from Gbinije. Even Rak could still have a bust-out year. Stay tuned.

At a minimum, learn what we can from the international games that BJ and Roberson will play. Same for the others.

Recent example (2015 recruit) -- Tyler L might have showed something unexpected in leading the team in rebounding.

This 2014-15 team depends more than most on players coming back having changed and developed their games.

Because he can only play one position and has Cooney and Gbinije ahead of him. And if BJ is a legit player at the 2 I would assume he is ahead of him as well. Just don't see Buss getting much run here during his stay.
Sounds a little like our ole buddy Mookie...

Sounds a little like our ole buddy Mookie...
A little early for that comparison until we've actually seen him get some PT. Biggest difference upfront is that if Mookie could've played defense he'd gotten PT here.

BJ won't be playing 2 -- he's going to be entrenched at 3 the rest of his career.

I don't disagree with you, just saying if that was an option he would be ahead of Buss.