PS: So what exactly is that black padding on the Syracuse football helmets seen during practice? | Syracusefan.com

PS: So what exactly is that black padding on the Syracuse football helmets seen during practice?

If they start getting worn during games because they work then they will either need to be produced in a clear color or the hot trend of all these different helmet combinations will be obsolete.

what a great idea, must reduce forces created on hits thereby lowering potential concussive impacts. They will probably only be used in practices I'd imagine and not games yet until they're improved, but it's a great start to lower the injuries that put a kid like Knapp out.

I had the chance to talk to a starter on the football team for a couple of minutes today. I asked him about the extra padding. He said Lester and Adam used it when they were at Elmhurst- They went from 15 concussions the season before the padding to 10 the first year and 1 the second year. Sounds like it works.

Cuseregular said:
what a great idea, must reduce forces created on hits thereby lowering potential concussive impacts. They will probably only be used in practices I'd imagine and not games yet until they're improved, but it's a great start to lower the injuries that put a kid like Knapp out.
Someday we will look at football the same as hockey goalies. "They didn't wear padded helmets???"

If they work, start wearing them in game, ASAP. Who cares how they look?

Knapp isn't the only one. There were 3 serious concussions that led to them

Someday we will look at football the same as hockey goalies. "They didn't wear padded helmets???"
worsley.jpg