PS: Syracuse running backs coach DeAndre Smith in awe of sophomore Ashton Broyld | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse running backs coach DeAndre Smith in awe of sophomore Ashton Broyld

I probably should have elaborated. What I meant was of course the RB coach is going to say nice things to the paper about one of their guys, but I'm curious as what's not being said (ie, what's holding AB back). Maybe nothing is. And that would be great.
Ok...got it. My take is the RB coach does not really have to say anything to the public like what he said. He would only say it if it were true... not to just be nice. With that, it seems like valuable information. I agree, it would be great to hear from others. I think there have been similar statements said by other coaches.

well, then you might not want to read the article about the QB coach and how he basically said he didnt know What he was doing during the spring game...

I wouldn't recommend saying anything too positive or too negative about any player publicly.

Although others have made good points that maybe that's what he needed. Perhaps he's a Demetris Nichols type who desperately needs more confidence early on.

Being wasted at RB-The one position where we have great depth
Just get the ball to him in an open field and let the rst take care of itself which he will do with a ton of ability. Put in a couple option plays for him in the slot or simply a quick out pass.
"jack" and "YAC." Yup, it's a Cali post.
Hey Frozen,What?

Just get the ball to him in an open field and let the rst take care of itself which he will do with a ton of ability. Put in a couple option plays for him in the slot or simply a quick out pass.
Hey Frozen,What?

You use "jack" and "YAC" quite often in your posts.

Back to the article and AB's role: two things to keep in mind about his frosh year.
1. Jerome Smith & PTG deserved all the carries they got in the second half of the year. No knock on AB. Smith emerged as a star; PTG showed in the Pinstripe that he wasn't far behind. People talk about playbook knowledge or ball security (fumble in Minn); but consider: how many carries did you want to take away from Smith or PTG when SU got rolling in mid-season?
2. No other frosh in the Marrone era had more impact on offense than AB. Not any QB; not any RB; not any WR recruited by Marrone. PTG got a few kick-off returns. And that is about it.

In the final analysis, Broyld is a gifted playmaker on a unit that doesn't have much in that area.

The coaching staff need to find a way to make use of his talents. Their ability to do this will play a big role in how successful the offense is this season.

Although I agree with this in principle, I can tell you that I was told first hand from THE highest source that Broyld was considered to be "the best athlete, by far, on the team" by the previous staff and that their intent going into summer camp was to "feature" his talent in the offense. Obviously, and for whatever reasons, that did not happen.

I think that those who are thinking that this new staff will be better at featuring Broyld because the are (take your pick): "college coaches," more creative, new, more willing to give him a chance, etc. are off the mark.

IF Broyld plays a bigger role this year, and I absolutely hope that he does, it will because HE is more equipped to execute whatever packages are developed for him and not because the STAFF finally figured out how to use him.

Although I agree with this in principle, I can tell you that I was told first hand from THE highest source that Broyld was considered to be "the best athlete, by far, on the team" by the previous staff and that their intent going into summer camp was to "feature" his talent in the offense. Obviously, and for whatever reasons, that did not happen.

I think that those who are thinking that this new staff will be better at featuring Broyld because the are (take your pick): "college coaches," more creative, new, more willing to give him a chance, etc. are off the mark.

IF Broyld plays a bigger role this year, and I absolutely hope that he does, it will because HE is more equipped to execute whatever packages are developed for him and not because the STAFF finally figured out how to use him.

I agree the previous staff recognized AB's talents and tried to make use of them. My post was not a dig at them; AB was given a chance and failed. One could argue that he deserved more chances but given the success the offensive unit enjoyed once Pugh started playing, I can't and won't second guess what was done.

The point I was trying to make was that the offense this year is going to be different. We don't have an experienced record setting QB, we don't have a couple of solid, experienced WRs, etc., and we can't just use a power running game and be successful. Broyld probably has more potential to make big plays than anyone else on this offensive unit right now. The staff needs to figure out ways to take advantage of his talent. And he needs to be ready when his number gets called.

witnesses.jpg

Hope Broyld can actually figure out the plays. His athletic ability won't help if he's never in the right spot. The offense needs his versatility. Maybe the mental side catches up this year.

2. No other frosh in the Marrone era had more impact on offense than AB. Not any QB; not any RB; not any WR recruited by Marrone. PTG got a few kick-off returns. And that is about it.
Alec Lemon finished off his true freshman year with a 9 rec / 140 yd / 1td game against UConn, giving him 29 receptions for 295 yds & 1TD that year - similar total production to AB's first season, but AB never had a single big game the way Alec did against UConn

After last season and being in the doghouse, Broyld may actually need some praise to get him back on track. However, I agree with not sharing all the options with everyone...especially opposing teams.
Any time that opponents use game planning for multiple possible uses of AB in his half dozen or so touches per game instead of scheming against our All-ACC running back is a positive in my book.

I am the first to admit that I have no clue what happened to him last year but watching him in the CT game was exciting as hell. Some say the fumble during the MN game put him in the doghouse. If that were the case Smith would have been benched after his bonehead play (or lack of play) on the backward pass in what, the NW game? One play simply would not have done it.
So, it seems plausible that his failure to grasp the playbook was the cause of his lack of PT.
He is a year older and has a clean slate with this staff so maybe he applies himself.
We need him to have a breakout year.