PS: Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore breaks down unit heading into the summer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore breaks down unit heading into the summer

Neither were Lemon or Sales...in fact, West had the fastest 40 time of the three.

West along with Clark/Kobena/Funderburke will be a significantly better vertical threat than we had last year. Let's not forget that Nassib had serious problems throwing the deep ball which hurt our vertical game. Hopefully, whoever plays QB this season will possess the ability to make the deep throw accurately and help open up the field.

Outside of Kobena I dont know that either of the other two are really vertical threats. Lemon and Sales were possession guys albeit in different ways. Clark could be an X factor as he could play a Sales type role. Funderburke is a complete unknown, at this point we cant be sure he even makes it to the first game.

Outside of Kobena I dont know that either of the other two are really vertical threats. Lemon and Sales were possession guys albeit in different ways. Clark could be an X factor as he could play a Sales type role. Funderburke is a complete unknown, at this point we cant be sure he even makes it to the first game.
While I love Kobena's speed and moxie, his hands have been suspect. I think it was bnoro who posted last year that Kobena was our best blocker so that skill alone will most likely get him on the field.

Hopefully he's catching at least 100 passes a day to improve his hands...we could really use his explosiveness.

Here's the thing with unproven talent; it's a perfect fit for the "half full" or "half empty" analogy.

Makes for a boring thread - but probably the best answer is: we'll see.

While I love Kobena's speed and moxie, his hands have been suspect. I think it was bnoro who posted last year that Kobena was our best blocker so that skill alone will most likely get him on the field.

Hopefully he's catching at least 100 passes a day to improve his hands...we could really use his explosiveness.

Granted he only caught like 6 passes last season or something, but are his hands really that bad? I don't remember the drops being a problem for him.

I think your right but I have seen a lot of posters on here kind of laugh of the WR position being one of big concern next year and use him and a few others WR's as the reasons why. If you evaluate where we are at from outside the orange colored glasses the WR core looks really suspect and thats being generous.
Don't think WR is going to matter all that much this year. We are going to be starting a new QB who is totally green, and the offense is in transition. Given our personnel, I expect a lot of ground game, short- to mid-range possession stuff to the WR's and TE's.

Syracuse would do well to utilize running backs catching passes. Gulley and Broyld can make people miss and if anybody's forgotten go watch Morris hs vids. Tons of his clips were catching passes.

If no one emerges as that guy we really need a make you miss take it to the house kind of wide receiver in this years class.

Don't think WR is going to matter all that much this year. We are going to be starting a new QB who is totally green, and the offense is in transition. Given our personnel, I expect a lot of ground game, short- to mid-range possession stuff to the WR's and TE's.

That might work against Tulane and Wagner but not the ACC part of the schedule. We are going to have to be able to show we can throw the ball downfield or teams will just stack the box.

Syracuse would do well to utilize running backs catching passes. Gulley and Broyld can make people miss and if anybody's forgotten go watch Morris hs vids. Tons of his clips were catching passes.

If no one emerges as that guy we really need a make you miss take it to the house kind of wide receiver in this years class.

Using the backs and Broyld would be a big help, ditto if we can get some big time production out of the TE position. Really could use a huge season from Wales.

That might work against Tulane and Wagner but not the ACC part of the schedule. We are going to have to be able to show we can throw the ball downfield or teams will just stack the box.

I agree with that. We need to be a fully functional offensive unit.

Lemon going into his senior year was the clear cut #1 guy in my mind, a guy who had allready put up pretty impressive numbers when healthy and a hell of a possession WR. I dont think your giving him enough credit.

I don't disagree with this at all -- though I'd argue he was more than a possession receiver as he averaged 15/catch last season. Not a burner, but a guy that could make a big play and at the very least was dangerous in the intermediate routes.

I agree with your point that WR is unquestionably an area of concern and far from a sure thing -- I feel like I spent most of the off-seasons after 2010 and 2011 trying temper expectations of the WRs. So I'm with you on that.

My point was more that there are some bodies to work with here, including some with pretty good promise, a proven entity in West and some other options (Gulley in the slot, etc.; the potential for some good production from Wales). I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

My point was more that there are some bodies to work with here, including some with pretty good promise

Yeah, at the very least the numbers are there, and some of those unproven guys were well regarded coming out of highschool. That's a recent change for the positive for sure.

I don't disagree with this at all -- though I'd argue he was more than a possession receiver as he averaged 15/catch last season. Not a burner, but a guy that could make a big play and at the very least was dangerous in the intermediate routes.

I agree with your point that WR is unquestionably an area of concern and far from a sure thing -- I feel like I spent most of the off-seasons after 2010 and 2011 trying temper expectations of the WRs. So I'm with you on that.

My point was more that there are some bodies to work with here, including some with pretty good promise, a proven entity in West and some other options (Gulley in the slot, etc.; the potential for some good production from Wales). I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

No doubt that we have numbers at the WR position. If everyone stays healthy we will have options if guys struggle.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not as high on West as others have been, but he is pretty good. I just don't know how he's going to handle defenses that recognize him as the top receiver. I like Kobena a lot more than some and think he'll take a step forward. Clark did more than expected last season, so if he just holds steady that's serviceable. Wales will catch his share of passes, maybe somebody out of the backfield other than PTG emerges.

Beyond that... everybody from the WRs is going to be catching their first pass. That's just how it goes in college sports, but I have no idea what to expect from any of Flemming, Lewis, Hale, Funder"From Down Under"burke, and the freshmen. I'm irrationally optimistic about Cornelius and just have a hunch he'll be a player. What that means for next year though, I'm not sure.

Perhaps we've finally found a position of need that we can move a certain Broyld, Ashton to? Doesn't look like it will be RB or QB at this point or in years to come.

Run Left
Run Left
Play Action - throw short to Broyld

rinse, lather, repeat
Should get us 5 wins right there.

Run Left
Run Left
Play Action - throw short to Broyld

rinse, lather, repeat
Should get us 5 wins right there.
All we need is one break to get to bowl eligibility then! I'll take it. :)

In all seriousness I think we get the same thing we had last year, plus a zone read run from the QB position. I doubt we throw much over 20-25 yards, and our existing WR's are fine for that.

As stated in the posts, it's true that the WR corps is pretty unproven, but one aspect of this group not mentioned above is their size. That a number of them are over 6' tall with several at 6-3 or 6-4 helps make me feel some confidence about the upcoming season. Especially with opposing defenses stacked against the run.