PSU Fans Take on PSU | Syracusefan.com

PSU Fans Take on PSU

Campbell

Walk On
I come in peace. There hasn't been much informative talk on the PSU boards about the game this weekend, most of it due to the fact that most PSU fans don't know much about Syracuse, myself included. I'd like to know more about your strengths and weaknesses and I'll provide the same for PSU.

A lot has been made of PSU's lack of depth. DL and LB are the only two positions where depth may become an issue later in the season if there are injuries. The DL has at least 6 guys that would have all seen meaningful snaps on any PSU D-line over the past decade, and we are expecting 9 guys to see action on Saturday. The problem is there are only two all-conference level guys this year - DE Deion Barnes and DT DaQuan Jones. After them there are some solid players, but not difference makers. DL wont be a strength, but it won't be a weakness. If Jones and/or Barnes get injured at some point, the D-line will struggle.

LB - Mike Hull and Glenn Carson will both be all-conference this year. Redshirt freshman Nyeem Wartman saw some action last year as a true freshman before being hurt. He is a future star linebacker, but he is just a redshirt freshman without much experience. There is only one back up (Ben Kline) with significant experience, behind him there are depth concerns. I see this being a potential issue on special teams. But PSU doesn't typically play more than 4-5 LB a game, so I don't see this being a real concern early in the season as long as everyone is healthy.

DB - This is the deepest and most talented group of DB's Penn State has had in a long time. With the depth at DB we will probably see more nickel and dime if the LB's get dinged up.

QB - both young and talented. Hackenberg is the most talented QB we have had since Kerry Collins, but he has only been on campus a few weeks and is still learning the playbook. How the QB's perform is the real unknown right now.

O-line - 4 of the 5 starters are very experienced. The RT spot is a battle between converted TE Garry Gilliam and last years back-up Adam Gress. This will be Gilliam's spot later in the year, but he is still adjusting to the new position and may not be ready Saturday.

RB - Zwinak is a throwback power runner who really got going the end of last season rushing for over 1,000 yards. He didn't really start getting carries until the third game last year. If he would have been our primary ball carrier from day 1 PSU probably doesn't go 0-2 to start the season. Akeel Lynch is redshirt freshman who the fans are excited to see and will see a lot of carries, but right now he is listed third behind last years opening day started Bill Belton.

TE - There are 3 tight ends that will be playing in the NFL plus last year's #1 tight end recruit in the country Adam Brenneman. This may be the most talented group of tight ends in the country. Expect to see 4 tight ends in on passing plays.

WR - Allan Robinson is the best receiver PSU has had since Bobby Engram in 1994. Brandon Felder is a reliable number 2 but isn't a game breaker. Redshirt freshman Geno Lewis was highly recruited and did very well on the scout team last year. He is expected to be a major contributor this year.

Summary - PSU will try to pound the ball with Zwinak and their experienced Oline. No matter who the quarterback is, I don't expect to see a wide open passing attack. I expect short routes to the tight ends and Robinson with not much being thrown down the field. Defensively the question will be how well the D-line can stop the run and if the LB's can stay healthy. The secondary should be fine.

Not+bad.jpg

Appreciate you taking the time for the write up. I'm still not sure why the love for the DB's though. The CB's in particular being RFr that haven't seen the field yet.

I didn't see any weaknesses. And I'm not trying to be an ass here (I am though) but reading that it sounds like you're going to win every game with all conference and pro talent.

What Penn State fans dont know about Syracuse that arent under the age of 30?

Real quick because I am on a phone here :

Strengths :
Our 3 starting linebackers are very good, very fast and they hit hard. They are experienced and we have decent depth behind them.

Secondary is veteran and solid. Some younger guys we are expecting to take step up and become playmakers this year.

Spine is pretty good. Our dts are solid des are a question mark.

Unknowns possible weaknesses :

New qb not even sure who it is and have little experience.

Opine. We have a few great returning player but also so unproven new guys.

Not+bad.jpg

Appreciate you taking the time for the write up. I'm still not sure why the love for the DB's though. The CB's in particular being RFr that haven't seen the field yet.

Trevor Williams was forced to play WR last season because of the lack of depth, but now is back at CB. His emergence along with Jordan Lucas at CB allowed Adrian Amos to move to S (he was our best CB last season) demoting our starting safety from 2012 to a back-up. Bill O'brien actually announced today that our two starting safeties last season may both be back-ups this season. Williams and Lucas both jumped Da'Quan Davis who saw lots of time last season at CB.

Potential weaknesses are D-line outside of Barnes and Jones, the third LB spot, and there are huge question marks surrounding the QB play.

I come in peace. There hasn't been much informative talk on the PSU boards about the game this weekend, most of it due to the fact that most PSU fans don't know much about Syracuse, myself included. I'd like to know more about your strengths and weaknesses and I'll provide the same for PSU.

A lot has been made of PSU's lack of depth. DL and LB are the only two positions where depth may become an issue later in the season if there are injuries. The DL has at least 6 guys that would have all seen meaningful snaps on any PSU D-line over the past decade, and we are expecting 9 guys to see action on Saturday. The problem is there are only two all-conference level guys this year - DE Deion Barnes and DT DaQuan Jones. After them there are some solid players, but not difference makers. DL wont be a strength, but it won't be a weakness. If Jones and/or Barnes get injured at some point, the D-line will struggle.

LB - Mike Hull and Glenn Carson will both be all-conference this year. Redshirt freshman Nyeem Wartman saw some action last year as a true freshman before being hurt. He is a future star linebacker, but he is just a redshirt freshman without much experience. There is only one back up (Ben Kline) with significant experience, behind him there are depth concerns. I see this being a potential issue on special teams. But PSU doesn't typically play more than 4-5 LB a game, so I don't see this being a real concern early in the season as long as everyone is healthy.

DB - This is the deepest and most talented group of DB's Penn State has had in a long time. With the depth at DB we will probably see more nickel and dime if the LB's get dinged up.

QB - both young and talented. Hackenberg is the most talented QB we have had since Kerry Collins, but he has only been on campus a few weeks and is still learning the playbook. How the QB's perform is the real unknown right now.

O-line - 4 of the 5 starters are very experienced. The RT spot is a battle between converted TE Garry Gilliam and last years back-up Adam Gress. This will be Gilliam's spot later in the year, but he is still adjusting to the new position and may not be ready Saturday.

RB - Zwinak is a throwback power runner who really got going the end of last season rushing for over 1,000 yards. He didn't really start getting carries until the third game last year. If he would have been our primary ball carrier from day 1 PSU probably doesn't go 0-2 to start the season. Akeel Lynch is redshirt freshman who the fans are excited to see and will see a lot of carries, but right now he is listed third behind last years opening day started Bill Belton.

TE - There are 3 tight ends that will be playing in the NFL plus last year's #1 tight end recruit in the country Adam Brenneman. This may be the most talented group of tight ends in the country. Expect to see 4 tight ends in on passing plays.

WR - Allan Robinson is the best receiver PSU has had since Bobby Engram in 1994. Brandon Felder is a reliable number 2 but isn't a game breaker. Redshirt freshman Geno Lewis was highly recruited and did very well on the scout team last year. He is expected to be a major contributor this year.

Summary - PSU will try to pound the ball with Zwinak and their experienced Oline. No matter who the quarterback is, I don't expect to see a wide open passing attack. I expect short routes to the tight ends and Robinson with not much being thrown down the field. Defensively the question will be how well the D-line can stop the run and if the LB's can stay healthy. The secondary should be fine.
Where is Buzz Shaw when he's needed?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Even though I live in PA, I grew up in Syracuse & bleed orange. I think this will be a very entertaining game, perhaps the best game of the weekend. O'Brien is an excellent coach both as an X's & O's guy, and as a recruiter. It's amazing how well he continues to recruit, even with the sanctions. But that's just PSU. If O'Brien stays longterm, PSU will contend for National Championships. Like Marrone though, I still think O'Brien is a better fit for the NFL. Should Penn State continue to improve, the NFL will make him offers he may not be able to refuse. If he survives the sanction period, he may be at PSU for many, many years.

Back to Syracuse. The Orange D will play with crazy intensity, and will scheme to create chaos & turnovers. Our DL has potential, but our DE's won't apply enough pressure unless they develop quickly. Our LBers are very good & our secondary is deep. Shafer, our new HC, has a great defensive mind. The question to be answered is what kind of HC he'll be. When Marrone left, he took 7 of our 9 coaches. I love Shafer's intensity, and he may very well end up being a better overall HC than Marrone was. Marrone, no doubt turned this Program around, but he didn't like to recruit, and it showed. That's exactly why he's in the NFL now. Expect SU to recruit better under Shafer.

Our offense was firing on all cylinders late last year. Had Marrone stayed, I would love to see what this unit would look like this year, even without Nassib. Our OC is a young guy, coming here with a reputation as a solid recruiter. That remains to be seen. Also, no one really knows what kind of an X's & O's guy he'll be. SU's OL has potential, but is inexperienced at certain positions. Our QB battle pits a big armed transfer from Oklahoma, who can spin the rock against a smaller, more agile guy, who has a better knowledge of the system. Expect to see both guys. Our RB's are very good, and we have excellent depth at this position. If PSU doesn't stop the run, they will be in trouble. Our WR's are average, so are our TE's.

Syracuse will come out flying all over the field on D & pounding the ball on O. This game will come down to how well the young PSU QB's react to that chaos. O'Brien will be prepared to counter, but it still comes down to execution. If their QB's stay poised, there are always big plays available against an attacking D. If they don't, expect some turnovers that PSU may not be able to overcome. Really, really good game. I would have LOVED to see these two teams play each other late last year!!

Even though I live in PA, I grew up in Syracuse & bleed orange. I think this will be a very entertaining game, perhaps the best game of the weekend. O'Brien is an excellent coach both as an X's & O's guy, and as a recruiter. It's amazing how well he continues to recruit, even with the sanctions. But that's just PSU. If O'Brien stays longterm, PSU will contend for National Championships. Like Marrone though, I still think O'Brien is a better fit for the NFL. Should Penn State continue to improve, the NFL will make him offers he may not be able to refuse. If he survives the sanction period, he may be at PSU for many, many years.

Back to Syracuse. The Orange D will play with crazy intensity, and will scheme to create chaos & turnovers. Our DL has potential, but our DE's won't apply enough pressure unless they develop quickly. Our LBers are very good & our secondary is deep. Shafer, our new HC, has a great defensive mind. The question to be answered is what kind of HC he'll be. When Marrone left, he took 7 of our 9 coaches. I love Shafer's intensity, and he may very well end up being a better overall HC than Marrone was. Marrone, no doubt turned this Program around, but he didn't like to recruit, and it showed. That's exactly why he's in the NFL now. Expect SU to recruit better under Shafer.

Our offense was firing on all cylinders late last year. Had Marrone stayed, I would love to see what this unit would look like this year, even without Nassib. Our OC is a young guy, coming here with a reputation as a solid recruiter. That remains to be seen. Also, no one really knows what kind of an X's & O's guy he'll be. SU's OL has potential, but is inexperienced at certain positions. Our QB battle pits a big armed transfer from Oklahoma, who can spin the rock against a smaller, more agile guy, who has a better knowledge of the system. Expect to see both guys. Our RB's are very good, and we have excellent depth at this position. If PSU doesn't stop the run, they will be in trouble. Our WR's are average, so are our TE's.

Syracuse will come out flying all over the field on D & pounding the ball on O. This game will come down to how well the young PSU QB's react to that chaos. O'Brien will be prepared to counter, but it still comes down to execution. If they're QB's stay poised, there are always big plays available against an attacking D. If they don't, expect some turnovers that PSU may not be able to overcome. Really, really good game. I would have LOVED to see these two teams play each other late last year!!

Good post. Agree on all points - except I think Broyld and Estime are the unknowns at WR/HB. They could be the x-factor in this game. Broyld is big and fast - while Estime is small, but damn quick and might be a threat every touch.

Good post. Agree on all points - except I think Broyld and Estime are the unknowns at WR/HB. They could be the x-factor in this game. Broyld is big and fast - while Estime is small, but damn quick and might be a threat every touch.
Excellent point. I agree wholeheartedly!

Broyld is the X factor for not only the offense but maybe the season. If he can emerge as a legit WR option he could open up the whole offense as there are big time concerns at the WR position. If he can become a playmaker guys like West, Kobena, Flemming, and Estime shoudl see things open up.

DB's - from what I can see one of your starting corners played WR last year and on the other side the guys fighting for the job don't have a start between them. For SU the corners the three top guys are going into their third season sharing as co-starters and the fourth guy might be the best athlete out of all four.

DB's - from what I can see one of your starting corners played WR last year and on the other side the guys fighting for the job don't have a start between them. For SU the corners the three top guys are going into their third season sharing as co-starters and the fourth guy might be the best athlete out of all four.

It's crazy reading everything the Penn State fans write. "We're awesome everywhere and have no flaws" ... sheesh. I know I'd be worried about my DB's in their shoes.

Our Orange tinted glasses aren't as opaque as the Nittany Blue tinted glasses, it appears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom