Pujols to Angels | Syracusefan.com

Pujols to Angels

cuseclappy

Winner 2016 SU Football Season Prediction Contest
10 yrs 250 mill..wow

and cj wilson...good day for the angels...

I was hoping the Yankees would land Wilson, but I'm glad they weren't willing to overpay as the Angels did (five years-$77.5 Million). I find it amusing that players are signing huge contracts this year and none of them are with the Yankees.

I'm stunned by both contracts.
Pujols contract size isn't surprising but him going to the Angels makes no sense to me. They lost all their leverage with Morales and Trumbo who are still relatively young prospects both at First Base/DH. Wilson's contract is huge money (way to much imo) but they have a very good rotation on paper with Weaver, Haren, Wilson, & Santana.
Even though I don't understand the Pujols signing it is obvious the Angels are the clear pre-season favorite to win it all if their outfielders aren't in nursing homes by October.

I don't care how many years/$$ was thrown at Pujols...whichever team signed him was making out. Will be interesting to see where they bat him. Do they go the LaRusa way to almost guarantee four batters in the first inning and bat Pujols third? Personally I'd stick Wells 3rd...I don't think the guy is completely out of gas yet and batting in front of Pujols is probably the best job in the majors.

On CJ Wilson...I'm glad the Yanks didn't get him. He's been solid the past two years but I'd prefer a career starter over a guy who has thrown 60% of his major league innings in the past two years alone. Theres cheaper and seemingly more reliable options out there.

And what happens with Morales? I don't see Trumbo going anywhere...

Pujols contract size isn't surprising but him going to the Angels makes no sense to me. They lost all their leverage with Morales and Trumbo who are still relatively young prospects both at First Base/DH. Wilson's contract is huge money (way to much imo) but they have a very good rotation on paper with Weaver, Haren, Wilson, & Santana.
Even though I don't understand the Pujols signing it is obvious the Angels are the clear pre-season favorite to win it all if their outfielders aren't in nursing homes by October.

Trumbo and Morales will work themselves out. Morales has become a bit forgotten because of the length of time he spent in the minors and then the injuries, but this guy has some Manny Ramirez in his bat... could possibly protect Pujols better than anyone who has ever hit behind him... and that is saying a lot. Trumbo makes very great trade bait, and Mr. Trout and Mr. Bourjos will keep the OF young.

I think CJ Wilson signing for well under 100 mil will go down as one of the top-3 signings of the off-season. Really his only detractor is that he has not done well in the playoffs, but such a small sample size can only carry so much weight. Other than that, the positives all point to a guy who should be making at least 15 million more.

- Lefty
- Two straight WS appearances
- Despite being 31, has a young arm from coming out of the pen for years.
- Perfect mix of proving he can handle Arlington, while also being so lights out in away parks that it really gives you something to drool over.
- While the sample size is small, and skewed by the fact he ran out of gas in 2010 (not uncommon after moving to the rotation), he has the makings of a stretch-run pitcher.
- Doesn't wow you with radar readings, but has enough pitches, a good athletic body, and throws plenty hard enough to survive losing a few ticks on the gun over the upcoming years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom