Pulling an all nighter | Syracusefan.com

Pulling an all nighter

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Troph.jpg

Just finished watching the game on DVR and when it ended I watched Sportscenter. So I decided, as long as I was up, to jot a few thoughts and observations in this rectangle. Doing the daily articles leading up to this game there were a few constant themes. I'm sure you read some and also heard them around the water cooler and break rooms. Syracuse is going to get destroyed, the game will be over before halftime, we haven't defeated the Mountaineers in the Dome since 2001. They have too many skilled players, too quick and their quarterback is one of the best in the land, he's sure to pick apart the 112th ranked defensive backfield.

In 2009 the Mountaineers held sway over the Orangemen making it 9 straight wins in the series. There were those program embarrasing losses in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2009. Humiliations by an average of 26 points with the worst being that 55-14 pummeling in the Carrier dome just 4 short years ago under that guy with the gray hair.

Fast forward to October 21, 2011 on a night we honored Ernie Davis on the 50th anniversary of his Heisman Trophy award. With an announced crowd of 45,000+ it was Syracuse delivering the humiliation to the 15th ranked team in the land. If two-thousand and tens 19-14 win at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown was a significant step forward for the program then this 2011 edition of the rivalry which produced a 49-23 end score, would be a giant step forward. A notice to the football world of doubters that maybe this Bronx born, third year head coach who's also a graduate, might just have the program turned in the right direction.

I can just imagine some of those ACC types who thought they were only getting a great basketball and lacrosse program. They must now see the the wisdom of buying low. If Syracuse was a stock and you were a shareholder you would have to be smiling this moring.

Thank you Oliver Luck

In all of my years in sports I was always taught to say kind things about my future opponents, kill them with kindness. If you don't think that the words of Oliver Luck served as some kind of motivation for the administration, coaches & players I think you would be mistaken. Just take a look at some of the headlines on our site from last evening, I would say Luck's words reverberated throughout the fan base too. Maybe sub consciensly it made us all scream a little louder. The headlines generated by some of the West Virginia press were down right cocky to say the least. "Will Geno pass for 500 yards this week?" Followed by, "Could this be the week QB Geno Smith throws for 500-plus yards?

On paper it sure looks likely.

The Syracuse pass defense is ranked 112th in the country, and will meet Smith and the West Virginia offense just as they are hitting stride."

Do you suppose Scott Shafer tacked that up for his defense to see? (Thanks go out to Jenn Menendez of the PPG for that diddy.)

Thanks also goes out to, Andrea Adelson of ESPN who said West Virginia 38 Syracuse 20.

Brett McMurphy also came up with this, West Virginia at Syracuse (Friday): Syracuse's past two homes games have been decided in overtime. This one will be decided by halftime. West Virginia -14
CBS

Well I have a lot more to say but the lids are getting heavy so I'll sign off for now. The articles will be delayed for some time.

Great stuff OE. Get some sleep, I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of articles to find tomorrow :)

Not that there is anything wrong with that. But, did you at least ask Al Nighter for his permission?

Troph.jpg

Just finished watching the game on DVR and when it ended I watched Sportscenter. So I decided, as long as I was up, to jot a few thoughts and observations in this rectangle. Doing the daily articles leading up to this game there were a few constant themes. I'm sure you read some and also heard them around the water cooler and break rooms. Syracuse is going to get destroyed, the game will be over before halftime, we haven't defeated the Mountaineers in the Dome since 2001. They have too many skilled players, too quick and their quarterback is one of the best in the land, he's sure to pick apart the 112th ranked defensive backfield.

In 2009 the Mountaineers held sway over the Orangemen making it 9 straight wins in the series. There were those program embarrasing losses in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2009. Humiliations by an average of 26 points with the worst being that 55-14 pummeling in the Carrier dome just 4 short years ago under that guy with the gray hair.

Fast forward to October 21, 2011 on a night we honored Ernie Davis on the 50th anniversary of his Heisman Trophy award. With an announced crowd of 45,000+ it was Syracuse delivering the humiliation to the 15th ranked team in the land. If two-thousand and tens 19-14 win at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown was a significant step forward for the program then this 2011 edition of the rivalry which produced a 49-23 end score, would be a giant step forward. A notice to the football world of doubters that maybe this Bronx born, third year head coach who's also a graduate, might just have the program turned in the right direction.

I can just imagine some of those ACC types who thought they were only getting a great basketball and lacrosse program. They must now see the the wisdom of buying low. If Syracuse was a stock and you were a shareholder you would have to be smiling this moring.

Thank you Oliver Luck

In all of my years in sports I was always taught to say kind things about my future opponents, kill them with kindness. If you don't think that the words of Oliver Luck served as some kind of motivation for the administration, coaches & players I think you would be mistaken. Just take a look at some of the headlines on our site from last evening, I would say Luck's words reverberated throughout the fan base too. Maybe sub consciensly it made us all scream a little louder. The headlines generated by some of the West Virginia press were down right cocky to say the least. "Will Geno pass for 500 yards this week?" Followed by, "Could this be the week QB Geno Smith throws for 500-plus yards?

On paper it sure looks likely.

The Syracuse pass defense is ranked 112th in the country, and will meet Smith and the West Virginia offense just as they are hitting stride."

Do you suppose Scott Shafer tacked that up for his defense to see? (Thanks go out to Jenn Menendez of the PPG for that diddy.)

Thanks also goes out to, Andrea Adelson of ESPN who said West Virginia 38 Syracuse 20.

Brett McMurphy also came up with this, West Virginia at Syracuse (Friday): Syracuse's past two homes games have been decided in overtime. This one will be decided by halftime. West Virginia -14
CBS

Well I have a lot more to say but the lids are getting heavy so I'll sign off for now. The articles will be delayed for some time.

This was not only a landmark win. It could not have happened at a better time: from a fan, recruiting, team morale perspective. SU will be entering a new chapter in the ACC against great schools and interesting competition: more money, greater visibility, a huge enhancement of the SU brand that goes well beyond sports.

This win should reassure the ACC leadership and fans that they made a good choice; SU will make the conference better not only by being a true north-south conference, but by being part of interesting competition.

To their credit, WVU has been the benchmark for the Big East these last few years and has been talked about as a possible target of the SEC and Big 12. SU made the statement that the benchmark football program in the Big East is SU and SU is on its way back.

There was no better time, place, opponent, what have you, to have the best game of the season than last night, at the dome, in front of a huge crowd, against the 11th ranked 'Eers. And we did it. This is the catapult. This is when we take hold of the Big East and win the Conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom