Pump fakes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pump fakes

This is all between the temples, a combination of fear and lack of confidence

You're partially correct, but I don't think it's confidence.

I think it's because this is the first season in his entire basketball life that he's been one of the top options on his team.

He wasn't in High School and he wasn't at prep school. That's a big change.

If I have 9 basketball watching lives, I lost one on that play.

Especially considering the low quality of many of the shots we were getting against Lville. That's as good a shot as you can ask for against them and you aren't getting a better one in the same possession.

i just wish everytime he got some in the air, he just side dribbled into the contact and took the foul.. 5-6 more times at the line a game easily.

The pump fakes are maddening. Pump fake, 1 or 2 dribbles right, spin back to the middle, go into chest of defender, pump fake some more, kick ball out or take difficult contested shot. He does this numerous times per game. And if I know it's coming, you can bet the opponent does. He's a talented player that needs to shoot more. Most guys would be salivating at the open looks he has, yet he's passing them up. I have no explanation as to why, since Tyler can definitely shoot it from 3. I want to see him be more assertive and aggressive. He's one of our main weapons. Let it fly or attack the basket!

What's the point of pump faking your guy out of his shoes if you don't do anything positive with the ball after?

I ask because I don't think I've ever seen somebody do so little with a well-executed pump fake as Tyler Lydon. We all knew this game was going to be a bad one, so this doesn't really have anything to do with the game today, just something that's bothered me for a while this season. It's gotten to the point that a Lydon pump fake and drive is one of the worst things that can happen in our offensive set. It has a negative result half the time, no result 49% of the time, and a positive result 1% of the time. I'd rather just see him shoot.
I did not see Lydon pump faking anybody out of their shoes.

We ran good sets to get him open along the three point line with open looks. When open he just pump faked reflexively instead of taking his shot confidently. If anything his pump fakes allowed the man beat to get back into defensive position.

I don't want to disparage Tyler, who along with Battle had the only halfway decent games for the boys in Orange, but I must admit that watching those wasteful pump fakes time after time just drove me batty.

Pump fakes are fake news.

DonaldTrumpangry-212x300.jpg

It's like in football where we used to have our quarterback fake to a running back on every drop-back, even if it was a Hail Mary. Now we run that stupid draw play that never goes anywhere where the QB fakes a throw after he's handed off. If it's irelevant, it will have no impact on the defense.

Glad I didn't have to start this thread myself.

Since Lydon didn't do this last season, there are two possibilities:

1) Someone's coaching him to make a ridiculous ball fake on every catch, regardless of its effectiveness; or
2) He picked up the bad habit himself and either no one cares or no one's successfully coached him not to do it.

His positive numbers were fine today and he was far from the biggest liability, but the faking is a total disaster that holds back his offensive game.

another reason I question keeping this staff around after JB leaves.

I am a big fan of pump fakes to combat over aggressive defenses. You can get a team in foul trouble and get better shots when the defense is overly aggressive. However, I agree with everyone else, when you have an open shot, take it!!! If Tyler feels the defender racing up on him as he gets the ball and turns, then, by all means, fake, get him in the air and then get fouled, because you are a knockdown free throw shooter and it gets the other team in foul trouble. And, when you fake and then drive, it goes nowhere (usually).

He is shooting more this year than he did last year, but part of that is that he is playing more minutes (all of the minutes in recent games). His per-40 shooting numbers are not as greatly improved, however:

2015-16 2016-17
Field Goal Attempts: 9.4 10.7
3 Point Attempts: 4.3 4.2
Free Throw Attempts: 3.3 3.6

Additionally, if you look at advanced stats, there isn't much improvement year over year there, either:

2015-16 2016-17
Player Efficiency Rating: 20.2 20.9
True Shooting Percentage: .606 .611
Effective FG Percentage: .572 .571

Tyler Lydon College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Now I'm not really trying to pile on to Tyler here, and I don't think that he's the biggest reason the team has struggled this year. I do, however, think that it was reasonable to think that he would make a bigger jump from freshman to sophomore year than he has. In order for this team to have any sort of success, it needs Tyler to do more than he is currently doing. Maybe that's asking too much though; I don't know.
He is essentially the same player on a per 40 minute basis, but he's logging more minutes and is a marked man now that he is a first or second option on offense, and that perhaps masks his improvement. But he still needs to look for his shot more aggressively.

I am a big fan of pump fakes to combat over aggressive defenses. You can get a team in foul trouble and get better shots when the defense is overly aggressive. However, I agree with everyone else, when you have an open shot, take it!!! If Tyler feels the defender racing up on him as he gets the ball and turns, then, by all means, fake, get him in the air and then get fouled, because you are a knockdown free throw shooter and it gets the other team in foul trouble. And, when you fake and then drive, it goes nowhere (usually).

If a defender is racing at you, you don't even need to do a pump fake, you should be able to drive right by him regardless.

There are spots where the pump fake is a incredibly useful offensive tool, Lydon just doesn't use them in those spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom