Punt Returns | Syracusefan.com

Punt Returns

SUAlumnus06

Walk On
Unbelievable game by the team last night; it's hard to find any negatives about our performance. However, Rene returning punts continues to be problematic. While he is sure-handed (hasn't dropped a punt yet this season), all he does is fair catch. The one time he didn't, which was against WVU, he got LIT UP. Is there anyone else we could put back there that could provide a spark? It's just frustrating that we never seem to be able to get any return yardage.

Unbelievable game by the team last night; it's hard to find any negatives about our performance. However, Rene returning punts continues to be problematic. While he is sure-handed (hasn't dropped a punt yet this season), all he does is fair catch. The one time he didn't, which was against WVU, he got LIT UP. Is there anyone else we could put back there that could provide a spark? It's just frustrating that we never seem to be able to get any return yardage.

This has been a problem for SU going back to Bruce Williams and that walk-on. We haven't had a punt returner in a long time. Maybe it is the blocking scheme because Rene hasn't really gotten many chances to return anything either.

This has been a problem for SU going back to Bruce Williams and that walk-on. We haven't had a punt returner in a long time. Maybe it is the blocking scheme because Rene hasn't really gotten many chances to return anything either.

That is what I was thinking too, the kid hasn't had many to return either, must be something to it, I don't think rene is a problem at all though he has good hands and seems to have the gonads to return the punts

Im assuming thats his job. To just call the fair catch and make sure we get back possession.

You can't run very much when you're surrounded by the opposing team upon catching the ball...

I'm fine with Rene for now. He catches the ball, and if he does suffer an injury it doesn't greatly effect the offensive schemes. He also has the speed to give us a little something if the opportunity does present itself.

We have the potential to see two different guys return kick-offs for TDs in the same season since... well... I can't remember when that happened last. So between the awesome defense, an improving offense, and two speedsters on kick returns, a muff or two from the punt returner hurts us a lot more than taking one to the house helps us, IMO.

You can't run very much when you're surrounded by the opposing team upon catching the ball...
This is it exactly. I can't remember him fair catching the ball with loads of room to run. He made a mistake not calling for a fair catch last night, but otherwise I don't think he's made many mistakes. I think if he had the room he could be dangerous (in a good way).

Last season with Mike Holmes was an adventure. He made something out of nothing at times, but also gave me a heart attack almost every punt on whether he would even make the catch.

Im not sure we have had more than 2-3 really returnable punts all year. really hard to fathom the other teams have not really made a poor kick 7 games in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom