Punt returns | Syracusefan.com

Punt returns

KevMonstah

Scout Team
Has Syracuse ever had a less relevant punt return game? I looked at
the stats for the year. To this point, the defense has forced 40 punts,
and Syracuse has returned 10 of them, for a grand total of 38 yards.
By contrast, the opponents have forced 55 punts, and have returned
21 for 128 yards. That translates to a single returned punt per game.
There isn't even a hint of a threat from the guys back there. It seems
like the opponents can perfectly kick the ball to arrive right as their
tacklers do. Is SU even making an effort to block and slow down the
coverage guys?

Kev

Yes...when Grob was coach we used to just fumble the punts back to the other team..now at least we hold onto them...

so they average a little over 2 yards return per punt and we average a little under 1.

there aren't that many returnable punts

doesn't amount to much

To me it's hard to blame the PR. Every time Rene catches the ball, at least one guy if not 2 are right there. Seems to me that we're not doing a good enough job against the opposing gunners.

At least Rene is very good at catching the ball. Can't be easy in all that traffic.

Rene is doing a very good job of catching the ball. I agree the blockers may not be doing their job and the punts have been solid by other teams as well. It's very disappointing that SU is not blocking any kicks what so ever, or even close.

Anyone else Rene talking to the ref after one fair catch, complaining that the USF player had interfered with his ability to fair catch the ball. The USF player was right on him, and it looked like he put his hand/arm over Rene's face. Ref would have no part of Rene's objection.

80% of the time opponents are punting from near midfield since our defense can't stop anyone quickly, which results in short, high punts intended to pin us deep, this also forces us to play "punt safe" which involves playing regular defense with a Rene subbed in for Shamarko to field the punt. Not ideal for returns.

In the remaining 20%, we attempted to block one punt and got called for roughing. We have not attempted to pressure any punt since for fear of getting another flag. This results in the coverage team not needing to stay in to block and thus getting quick releases downfield for coverage. Finally, the opponent's punters are well rested and often get off good coverage kicks.

(Note: all figures are approximate and are by no means intended to be an accurate statistic)

Such is college football. Kickers aren't booming 60 yarders like they do in the NFL, which gives much more time to catch and look up field. you take a 15 yard hit in NCAA and there's not much room/time to get upfield.

this is what happens when you have team speed on specials and when their punter kicks it 40 yards you see why rene had no time...ther was atleast 3/4 usf players around him everytime. its frustrating to say the least, but its not like we pin these teams back in their own territory and they are punting from their endzone.

Anyone else Rene talking to the ref after one fair catch, complaining that the USF player had interfered with his ability to fair catch the ball. The USF player was right on him, and it looked like he put his hand/arm over Rene's face. Ref would have no part of Rene's objection.

The player clearly hit Rene on the back of the helmet. Should've been an easy kick catch interference call.

The player clearly hit Rene on the back of the helmet. Should've been an easy kick catch interference call.

The ref should have called a penalty against Rene for being upset! Rene did take a poke check on that catch and he has done a very nice job of catching the ball.

Do you all think the reason why SU isn't blocking kicks is that it's a Marrone play to not lose or they just don't have the speed to go after the punters in the first place. It may just be me but it seems that since the bad Wilkes call vs rutgers we haven't gone after any punts with any type of pressure. Rene isn't returning punts which is fine but why not go after the kicker with some pressure more often?

Where have you gone, Quinton Spotwood, 'Cuse nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Woo, wooo, wooo.

Other teams have better punters than us. I would go with that as the reason that half of ours get returned vs barely any of the other teams.

Graham was a stud gunner last year when Long was booming kicks all over. Is he still being used in that roll now that he is more involved on offense?

Where have you gone, Quinton Spotwood, 'Cuse nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Woo, wooo, wooo.

The Dome holds a place for even Jamel Riddle, hey, hey, hey...

Woo, wooo, wooo.

You'll have to ask BEES, but I'm pretty sure Spotwood is out with an injury. ;)Don't tell anyone though.

You'll have to ask BEES, but I'm pretty sure Spotwood is out with an injury. ;)Don't tell anyone though.

Among the greatest moments in Internet history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom