Puts and takes by unit. | Syracusefan.com

Puts and takes by unit.

GoSU96

Living Legend
Over all it looks like, baring any other departures , there are 82 scholarships accounted for.

As of today here’s a look at each unit. Unless called out this is not looking at walkons.

DL. Linton and Hough transferring out. Added one year player in Ingraham from Alabama at DT, and four freshman recruits. Right now there are 17 DL on the roster. If they want to go big they could start Lockett, Ingraham, and Okechukwu. The guys in the rotation would be Darton, Geer, Simmons, Jaquez, Jobity, and EFC. That’s three deep with experience. Best players should play, but there is no need to push any freshmen into the rotation. This unit should be significantly better than last year.

LB. Jones - NFL out. Brought in Juco Rice and two freshman. Wax and Thompson are givens as starters. McDonald, Sparrow and Lowery have played alot of snaps, and all looked like they belonged out there. Between Rice, Roon, and Mason for the sixth guy. Jones was an impact player, but the unit overall is deeper with experience. As long as there aren’t any departures think this group at a minimum has the same level of performance.

DB - Out, Coley grad, Nunn - injured, Williams - NFL, Chestnut and Carter - portal. In- Bellamy, Gould transfers both highly ranked coming out of HS. Clark, Barron, and Johnson are locks to start in IMO. The rest of the two deep looks like Simmons, Wilson, Hanna, Oliver, Greenwood, and the two transfers. They rotated a lot of DBs so there are snaps, but this should be the group with the most competition for spots. Losing some very good talent, but there are experienced players returning and highly regarded transfers. And we don’t know if Peterson, Folk, Delaine, or Perry can jump into the mix. This unit has been able to replace multiple nfl players without being a disaster. I expect that trend to continue.

The first half of the year the defense was excellent, with a lot of first and second year players getting a lot of snaps. The pass defense was excellent all year. It’s losing four starters and two rotation players. Next year the two deep won’t have to feature any freshmen players unless they win jobs, which wasn’t the case this last year. My expectation they will be at least as good overall, deeper and better positioned to deal with injury.

OL - out Bergeron - nfl, Davis and Tisdale graduation, Magnuson, Schuster; In-More grad, Reed, Moeolo Juco, Mack, Bass hs. The ol is already bigger, four of the new guys are 300 plus, the other is 290. ECJr is already positioned to replace Bergeron. The two has size and experience. Reed and Ilaoa can battle at center. Vett can bump out to tackle. There is the potential to go 302, 326, 317, 375, 360. If the transfers and juco’s can play this will be the best two deep that Dino has had. Those three might be the key to the season. Bradford looked okay, Ilaoa has had a lot of snaps, Joe Cruz did okay getting thrown in the deep end.

TE In - David Clement. No immediate need to play, but the opportunity is there. The issue for this group is how much the guys on the roster improve.

WR - Out - Cooper, Hayes -grad, Jackson, Queeley, Foster - transfer, In - Cohoon - hs. The WR room has gotten smaller. Not including Gadsden and Villari it’s 8 guys. Cooper was solid but the departures aren’t going to hurt the team. Pena, Jones, Alford all have flashed, they need to take the next step and be consistent ACC players. They have all shown they can do it. Who out of Hatcher, Adams, Long, and Brown push those guys for snaps.

Qb - no change, which is fine for this next season.

Rb - Out - Tucker-nfl, in Daniels and Parkman - hs. Tucker was special, its going to be different, but his production is not irreplaceable.

The key to the offense this year is the new ol, can they play at an acc level, and Wr development. The offense has to improve from last year. It was good to very good at times, but never really was great. Deeper and more experienced, need to improve the level of play.

Over all it looks like, baring any other departures , there are 82 scholarships accounted for.

As of today here’s a look at each unit. Unless called out this is not looking at walkons.

DL. Linton and Hough transferring out. Added one year player in Ingraham from Alabama at DT, and four freshman recruits. Right now there are 17 DL on the roster. If they want to go big they could start Lockett, Ingraham, and Okechukwu. The guys in the rotation would be Darton, Geer, Simmons, Jaquez, Jobity, and EFC. That’s three deep with experience. Best players should play, but there is no need to push any freshmen into the rotation. This unit should be significantly better than last year.

LB. Jones - NFL out. Brought in Juco Rice and two freshman. Wax and Thompson are givens as starters. McDonald, Sparrow and Lowery have played alot of snaps, and all looked like they belonged out there. Between Rice, Roon, and Mason for the sixth guy. Jones was an impact player, but the unit overall is deeper with experience. As long as there aren’t any departures think this group at a minimum has the same level of performance.

DB - Out, Coley grad, Nunn - injured, Williams - NFL, Chestnut and Carter - portal. In- Bellamy, Gould transfers both highly ranked coming out of HS. Clark, Barron, and Johnson are locks to start in IMO. The rest of the two deep looks like Simmons, Wilson, Hanna, Oliver, Greenwood, and the two transfers. They rotated a lot of DBs so there are snaps, but this should be the group with the most competition for spots. Losing some very good talent, but there are experienced players returning and highly regarded transfers. And we don’t know if Peterson, Folk, Delaine, or Perry can jump into the mix. This unit has been able to replace multiple nfl players without being a disaster. I expect that trend to continue.

The first half of the year the defense was excellent, with a lot of first and second year players getting a lot of snaps. The pass defense was excellent all year. It’s losing four starters and two rotation players. Next year the two deep won’t have to feature any freshmen players unless they win jobs, which wasn’t the case this last year. My expectation they will be at least as good overall, deeper and better positioned to deal with injury.

OL - out Bergeron - nfl, Davis and Tisdale graduation, Magnuson, Schuster; In-More grad, Reed, Moeolo Juco, Mack, Bass hs. The ol is already bigger, four of the new guys are 300 plus, the other is 290. ECJr is already positioned to replace Bergeron. The two has size and experience. Reed and Ilaoa can battle at center. Vett can bump out to tackle. There is the potential to go 302, 326, 317, 375, 360. If the transfers and juco’s can play this will be the best two deep that Dino has had. Those three might be the key to the season. Bradford looked okay, Ilaoa has had a lot of snaps, Joe Cruz did okay getting thrown in the deep end.

TE In - David Clement. No immediate need to play, but the opportunity is there. The issue for this group is how much the guys on the roster improve.

WR - Out - Cooper, Hayes -grad, Jackson, Queeley, Foster - transfer, In - Cohoon - hs. The WR room has gotten smaller. Not including Gadsden and Villari it’s 8 guys. Cooper was solid but the departures aren’t going to hurt the team. Pena, Jones, Alford all have flashed, they need to take the next step and be consistent ACC players. They have all shown they can do it. Who out of Hatcher, Adams, Long, and Brown push those guys for snaps.

Qb - no change, which is fine for this next season.

Rb - Out - Tucker-nfl, in Daniels and Parkman - hs. Tucker was special, its going to be different, but his production is not irreplaceable.

The key to the offense this year is the new ol, can they play at an acc level, and Wr development. The offense has to improve from last year. It was good to very good at times, but never really was great. Deeper and more experienced, need to improve the level of play.
Iirc, Ingraham has 2 years left.

Here is a quick look at the offense next year and my best shot at a depth chart.

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 6.39.26 PM.png

Let's hope we don't have any departures post bowl. I don't think we will but I read that Caleb, Wax and Jatius were possible. Hopefully not but there's still a window that may occur. Just being practical here, we need to get through the 9th of January and then the portal entry closes I believe. Hopefully with all staying with the team. Fingers crossed.

Let's hope we don't have any departures post bowl. I don't think we will but I read that Caleb, Wax and Jatius were possible. Hopefully not but there's still a window that may occur. Just being practical here, we need to get through the 9th of January and then the portal entry closes I believe. Hopefully with all staying with the team. Fingers crossed.

It's open until January 18.

First day of classes is January 17.

Here is a quick look at the offense next year and my best shot at a depth chart.

View attachment 223655
Thanks for the snapshot Clockwork. Some comments:

RB: We are numbers thin a bit there. I wonder if we look to add 1 more. It will be interesting to see how both Ike and Parkman look. Parkman is fast.
OL: Vet is still a question I believe. He played well at RT though previously and would make our line stronger if he stays. Love Reed anchoring the line. More size at center with make life easier for both GS and our RBs.
WR: I could see Adams outside. He is all speed. He can help take the top off defense. Critical for us to get transfer WR or TE in January.

It's open until January 18.

First day of classes is January 17.
Gotcha, my mistake. I thought I had seen something from CL saying portal closes the 9th for people to enter the portal.

The key for SU football almost every year is the OL. I'd be very surprised to see a True Freshman jump Price at RB. I'm also guessing I. Jones starts, but would be a good sign for our room if Hatcher could beat him out. Will be interesting to see what Vetterello does-Does More sign here if Vet is coming back? I agree with basically everything else.

Last edited:
Thanks, Go. This is concise and fits my limited schedule to peruse the board. Someday I will have the time I did in previous years to fully digest the board... as for now, posts like this are indispensable!

I really hope Ellis gets a lot smaller at guard. Vet may have been weak at center, but Ellis' girth left him clogging up the middle where Anae kept sending Tucker.

If we go with GoSU96 original premise of 82 schollies accounted for, we have 3 spaces remaining.

I’d say we are in good shape at most positions. WR and TE seem thin to me. WR on numbers, and TE on proven P5 talent.

I suspect staff gets a WR with one of those spots, and then just takes the most talented dudes they can get in the door with the other two spots. But that’s purely a guess

Here is a quick look at the defense next year and my best shot at a depth chart.

A couple of caveats, I know we don't play a 4-3, but I really couldn't decide whether Ingraham or Lockett would start at DT. I would lean toward Lockett, but I think both will play a lot.

I like Kadin Bailey - but I'm not sure he'll be the MLB of the future for the defense.

And thirdly, I'm projecting Quan Peterson on the 2-deep because I like his name and because he has drawn some rave reviews in practice.

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.41.00 PM.png

I think expectations for Ingraham should be low in terms of snap counts. Guy has had a ton of trouble with injuries. I would expect him to be a guy that plays low snaps but goes all out every snap to give us high impact / efficient play, but allows him to stay healthy and limit the stress on his body.

Assuming his own health, I’d expect Lockett to dominate the snap count percentages. Guy was going to be a complete star for us this year

I think expectations for Ingraham should be low in terms of snap counts. Guy has had a ton of trouble with injuries. I would expect him to be a guy that plays low snaps but goes all out every snap to give us high impact / efficient play, but allows him to stay healthy and limit the stress on his body.

Assuming his own health, I’d expect Lockett to dominate the snap count percentages. Guy was going to be a complete star for us this year
Don't forget Kevon Darton, who can have a significant impact with a lower snap count. He won't have to be such a warrior. The same idea you posited regarding Ingraham.

Here is a quick look at the defense next year and my best shot at a depth chart.

A couple of caveats, I know we don't play a 4-3, but I really couldn't decide whether Ingraham or Lockett would start at DT. I would lean toward Lockett, but I think both will play a lot.

I like Kadin Bailey - but I'm not sure he'll be the MLB of the future for the defense.

And thirdly, I'm projecting Quan Peterson on the 2-deep because I like his name and because he has drawn some rave reviews in practice.

View attachment 223661
Only comment is McDonald was first man up when Thompson went down. He is in the rotation, if not starting if they bump wax inside.

It's going to be interesting on how the new OC and DC tweaks this team, especially the TE position on O...thinking SU has a star TE already on board and it ain't Gadson.

I really hope Ellis gets a lot smaller at guard. Vet may have been weak at center, but Ellis' girth left him clogging up the middle where Anae kept sending Tucker.

Get there firstest with the mostest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom