Putting aside the turnovers for the moment | Syracusefan.com

Putting aside the turnovers for the moment

GoSU96

Living Legend
the biggest issue facing the team is running the ball. Teams are playing pass defense first and the RB's aren't exploiting it.

SU put up the most passing yards NW, USC, Minny gave up all year, 2nd most for Rutgers, and 4th for Pitt. Most total yards for NWand USC, 2nd for Rutgers, 3rd for Minny, and 5th for Pitt. SU scored the most points NW and USC have given up, 2nd most for Rutgers, and 5th for Minny and Pitt.

Where SU has really under performed against opponents is in the run game. 2nd most yards USC, but 4th for NW, Pitt and Rutgers, 5th for Minny. There aren't many explosive plays coming out of the run game.

We lack big plays on offense. It's been stated here hundreds of times but it's true. The longer the drive the greater the chance of turnovers. As it usually does, it comes back to personel (sp?) and coaching schemes to fit the players ability, not vice versa.

And this is why I think our biggest issue remains recruting

There is offensive talent in the program and in the pipeline.

I really wish Morris or McFarland were ready to go.

We have guys that can consistently get 3,4,5 yds, but neither of them are get to the second level and take it to the house guys that you have to defend against. Right now even if they are running free, like Smith yesterday, a DC knows you can limit the damage.

we call conservative plays and have turnovers,
maybe we should open up some riskier play and get some big plays with our turnovers.
might open things up a bit.

We have guys that can consistently get 3,4,5 yds, but neither of them are get to the second level and take it to the house guys that you have to defend against. Right now even if they are running free, like Smith yesterday, a DC knows you can limit the damage.

We don't have backs who are difficult to take down, regardless of size. DC3 was a bull who, although he lacked breakaway speed, rarely fell after initial contact.

Gulley & Smith are too easy to tackle. Especially Smith given his size. I wish he'd run more angrily and look to deliver hits on DBs.

Funny I dont remember Smith or Gulley allowing a blocked Field goal for the fourth year in a row, or one of them causing Nassib to fumble the ball 30 yards backwards taking us out of field goal range, was it the lack of run game that caused Nassib to throw into triple coverage on his last pick with the game on the line? Each week its a different excuse, now its the run game before it was because Pugh was hurt and then it was turnovers that would be corrected. What will be it next week?

Funny I dont remember Smith or Gulley allowing a blocked Field goal for the fourth year in a row, or one of them causing Nassib to fumble the ball 30 yards backwards taking us out of field goal range, was it the lack of run game that caused Nassib to throw into triple coverage on his last pick with the game on the line? Each week its a different excuse, now its the run game before it was because Pugh was hurt and then it was turnovers that would be corrected. What will be it next week?

I've been pointing out the problem with the run game all year. Nothing new there.

Nassib also made some fo the best throws he has ever made yesterday.

And it's not blaming those guys, it's pointing out why they have to grind for everything they get. It's just reality, no need to get angry about it.

There were 50 plus passes called yesterday, Rutgers is an excellent defense, negative plays are going to happen when you throw that often.

I've been pointing out the problem with the run game all year. Nothing new there.

Nassib also made some fo the best throws he has ever made yesterday.

And it's not blaming those guys, it's pointing out why they have to grind for everything they get. It's just reality, no need to get angry about it.

There were 50 plus passes called yesterday, Rutgers is an excellent defense, negative plays are going to happen when you throw that often.

I understand int's happen but that last pick is unforgiveable, I mean really the first freeking play, come on. The running game hasnt been that bad when we have Smith in there, he should be getting starters carries period. Gulley seems like a nice kid but hes not breaking any runs and hes a fumbler. If you want to work Gulley in give him screens, jet sweeps, and circle routes out of the backfield. At this point I see no reason Smith shouldnt be getting 20+ carries a game.

Three things/thoughts:

1. Are we sure they aren't ready to go?

2. Why aren't they ready to go? It's not like the staff didn't have all kinds of time to look at Smith and Gulley and their body of work and go "hey, we're pretty limited back here but we have some talented guys coming in, maybe we should get someone a little more dynamic ready to go."

3. Part of the reason why we get more yards through the air is because we get behind and have to throw.

Would you take a chance putting one of them out there at this point?

I've never been a big fan of redshirting 2 guys at a 1 man position (like QB or RB).

What we lose in pass protection, we could gain in a desperately needed playmaker. Could be a fumbling issue too but join the club at this point.

Is it worth it?

Starting to look more and more like we may have wasted a lot of time on those bubble screen plays for Broyld.

What we lose in pass protection, we could gain in a desperately needed playmaker. Could be a fumbling issue too but join the club at this point.
I'm not convinced we would be worse in pass protection in any meaningful way or have more of a fumbling issue.

Three things/thoughts:

1. Are we sure they aren't ready to go?

2. Why aren't they ready to go? It's not like the staff didn't have all kinds of time to look at Smith and Gulley and their body of work and go "hey, we're pretty limited back here but we have some talented guys coming in, maybe we should get someone a little more dynamic ready to go."

3. Part of the reason why we get more yards through the air is because we get behind and have to throw.

I think with Morris he isn't strong enough, McFarland didn't get any work in preseason. I think their evaluation was the Broyld was the closest of the new kids to being able to contribute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom