Class of 2022 - QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 QB Braden Davis (DE) Transferring From South Carolina to Syracuse (5/11/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust the coaches on this one. The kid has potential, especially with his family history and all of his offers out of high school. I think this is a win considering our back up QB circumstances.

Three very solid guys at QB is enough for this season. I think we need a LB or two, another DL, and another OL or two, to be honest. I think we have 9 more spots open on the roster.
This was definitely needed for the QB depth chart but you’re right, still more to go especially at OL imo.

I’m just happy this was addressed quickly so hopefully by the fall we can have 3 guys capable of running the offense in case of injury. Offers and HS pedigree are great but the most important thing is if Davis can command the offense if needed.

I'm glad that he was highly rated coming out of high school, but my concern is that (and this is more a long term thing) we're getting guys that get beat out by other guys. Shrader is a bit different because he underwent a coaching change to a completely different system and coaching philosophy. If we're excited about Davis's high school rating, what does it say that Sellers is a three star? Was Sellers underrated? Was Davis overrated? Maybe he'll thrive in our system with our coaches. Sometimes a change in scenery makes all the difference.
I get all that but Davis has only been there for a year. Hasnt gotten a lot of reps or reached his potential yet. Colten Gauthier was passed up there to and he was a 4 star kid. Getting talented kids that no longer want to be in crowded rooms is not a bad strategy. I’m not sure what the alternative is. They are not getting these kids out of HS.

Last edited:
So we picked up a QB who may actually have the best list of offers our QB room has ever seen and folks are concerned that only 1 year out of high school he was not QB#2 at SC? Do people think we are Bama here? If you are not enthusiastic about this get as a fan you are probably never going to be happy with recruiting. We have three former SEC QBs, two 6'5 and all three are athletic and can be dual threat in our offense. I mean I am not sure we can ask for better in our QB room.

I'm glad that he was highly rated coming out of high school, but my concern is that (and this is more a long term thing) we're getting guys that get beat out by other guys. Shrader is a bit different because he underwent a coaching change to a completely different system and coaching philosophy. If we're excited about Davis's high school rating, what does it say that Sellers is a three star? Was Sellers underrated? Was Davis overrated? Maybe he'll thrive in our system with our coaches. Sometimes a change in scenery makes all the difference.
change of scenery, coaching, maturity, or sometimes that coaches make mistakes with the guys they decide to play.

So we picked up a QB who may actually have the best list of offers our QB room has ever seen and folks are concerned that only 1 year out of high school he was not QB#2 at SC? Do people think we are Bama here? If you are not enthusiastic about this get as a fan you are probably never going to be happy with recruiting. We have three former SEC QBs, two 6'5 and all three are athletic and can be dual threat in our offense. I mean I am not sure we can ask for better in our QB room.
I suspect SC took him as an athlete they were giving a shot first to at QB and we’re doing the same. Most of his big offers came as a sophomore when he was a 4 star recruit and rated in the top 150 at Rivals, by the time he was a junior he was out of the top 150, a 3 star and deciding between South Carolina, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Stanford and West Virginia as to where he would commit. None of the big big names on his recruiting profile were still in the picture. He changed HS’s for his junior year to a Florida school and I suspect that didn’t go as planned.

It’s nice to add a guy with a bunch of big name offers on his recruiting profile as a high school prospect but what’s most important is where he translates onto our QB depth chart and if he’s capable of guiding the offense successfully if called upon. That remains to be seen and based upon his HS video, how his recruiting evolved and him not cracking through on the SC depth chart at QB, the skepticism isn’t unreasonable. Shrader had a lot of the same questions coming in and he’s evolved into the QB we hoped he could be, but in the same breath Villari came in as an ex-Michigan QB who was given a shot but will never play QB here.

I suspect SC took him as an athlete they were giving a shot first to at QB and we’re doing the same. Most of his big offers came as a sophomore when he was a 4 star recruit and rated in the top 150 at Rivals, by the time he was a junior he was out of the top 150, a 3 star and deciding between South Carolina, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Stanford and West Virginia as to where he would commit. None of the big big names on his recruiting profile were still in the picture. He changed HS’s for his junior year to a Florida school and I suspect that didn’t go as planned.

It’s nice to add a guy with a bunch of big name offers on his recruiting profile as a high school prospect but what’s most important is where he translates onto our QB depth chart and if he’s capable of guiding the offense successfully if called upon. That remains to be seen and based upon his HS video, how his recruiting evolved and him not cracking through on the SC depth chart at QB, the skepticism isn’t unreasonable. Shrader had a lot of the same questions coming in and he’s evolved into the QB we hoped he could be, but in the same breath Villari came in as an ex-Michigan QB who was given a shot but will never play QB here.
Fair enough but Beck and Dino brought him in so I am operating under the premise he fits our QB room very well. Villari was a different animal I think if my memory is right. Really only Michigan offered wasn't it?

Fair enough but Beck and Dino brought him in so I am operating under the premise he fits our QB room very well. Villari was a different animal I think if my memory is right. Really only Michigan offered wasn't it?
Yeah Villari didn’t have the HS pedigree for sure so maybe not a fair comparison, but he was at a better power program on scholarship. I just always get a little uneasy when I see guys that were blue chip prospects as sophomores that aren’t by the time they are jr/sr. But nonetheless glad we have him on the depth chart now and even if it doesn’t work out at QB seems like a high end, big bodied athlete worst case scenario.

Last edited:

But... does that really matter?

For example / for context, CDRW "got beat out by" another guy at Florida. But that guy just went #4 in the NFL draft.

This kid probably isn't as good as Sellars, BUT that doesn't imply that he's automatically "overrated." Or maybe he is -- time will tell.

I liked Lamson, but if you stack him and his offer list up against Davis and his offer list, there isn't a poster who would have preferred to land Davis.

So the bottom line is, get the best players you can, coach 'em up, and let the players' performance determine who gets the PT.

The best thing we can do is continue to add 4-star caliber QBs from big programs, looking for the change of scenery you reference.

BTW, I know that some of what I state above doesn't touch on things you are stating / expressing, just jotting down my thoughts.

Last edited:
IMG_3095.jpeg

I do get your point about guys getting beat out, but I'm less concerned about that because we've seen even the big-time schools have success with other programs' cast off QBs.

That's recruiting especially in the portal era. Your rosters are going to be filled with guys who've been beat by other guys. Syracuse is not in a position to turn away talent especially when that talent has some seasoning at this level. They have a deep QB room. It's a huge upgrade from Jacobian and Dylan from Texas in the event Shrader gets hurt.

For example / for context, CDRW "got beat out by" another guy at Florida. But that guy just went #4 in the NFL draft.

This kid probably isn't as good as Sellars, BUT that doesn't imply that he's automatically "overrated." Or maybe he is -- time will tell.

I liked Lamson, but if you stack him and his offer list up against Davis and his offer list, there isn't a poster who would have preferred to land Davis.

So the bottom line is, get the best players you can, coach 'em up, and let the players' performance determine who gets the PT.

The best thing we can do is continue to add 4-star caliber QBs from big programs, looking for the change of scenery you reference.

BTW, I know that some of what I state above doesn't touch on things you are stating / expressing, just jotting down my thoughts.
Which brings up another issue that can be discussed in another thread entirely. There's a lack of patience among this era of college athlete. There's no shame in losing the battle to someone who ended up as a Top 5 pick out of 270+. CDRW would have been in the driver's seat for the job in Gainesville with some patience. Richardson didn't kill either last season. He went that high off of potential.

There are plenty of great QB’s not starting for one reason or another. You can’t look at a freshman QB as “getting beat out by other guys”

There is only 1 starter and that’s usually an upperclassman.

This is exactly what I hoped would happen for us in the portal. We’re consistently getting SEC level talent looking for better opportunities. Still waiting for an SEC WR though.

The NIL thing torpedoed us or we would all be loving the portal.

That’s great insight. I didn’t realize the trajectory of his offers peaked so early.

That's recruiting especially in the portal era. Your rosters are going to be filled with guys who've been beat by other guys. Syracuse is not in a position to turn away talent especially when that talent has some seasoning at this level. They have a deep QB room. It's a huge upgrade from Jacobian and Dylan from Texas in the event Shrader gets hurt.

You raise a good point.

Obviously, no prospect [or very few] are sure things. Even QBs who commit to blue chip programs don't pan out, don't live up to ratings, etc. Increasingly, many of them are transferring out due to perceived lack of opportunity before they can even make an impact.

But bottom line: a few years ago, we were rolling the dice on sleepers, hoping they'd pan out, just to add warm bodies. No disrespect intended to Morgan / Dylan.

It's a big upgrade to be landing guys from SEC programs who were much higher rated recruits. Doesn't mean that they are all going to pan out [just like they don't at Ohio State or Clemson], but as I've stated earlier in this thread, if Beck can transform a guy like Shrader who wasn't a natural passer into a highly efficient completion percentage guy, I want to see what he can do with QBs who have higher floors with their passing capabilities.

You raise a good point.

Obviously, no prospect [or very few] are sure things. Even QBs who commit to blue chip programs don't pan out, don't live up to ratings, etc. Increasingly, many of them are transferring out due to perceived lack of opportunity before they can even make an impact.

But bottom line: a few years ago, we were rolling the dice on sleepers, hoping they'd pan out, just to add warm bodies. No disrespect intended to Morgan / Dylan.

It's a big upgrade to be landing guys from SEC programs who were much higher rated recruits. Doesn't mean that they are all going to pan out [just like they don't at Ohio State or Clemson], but as I've stated earlier in this thread, if Beck can transform a guy like Shrader who wasn't a natural passer into a highly efficient completion percentage guy, I want to see what he can do with QBs who have higher floors with their passing capabilities.
Post of the day

Love it - one year backup - 3 year starter !!!

Looks like he has plus mobility and plus vision from the highlight reel.

Arm looks solid and in raw terms will be an upgrade from Schrader.

The only issue is that we seem to need warrior QBs to be successful and that we will not know until he takes the field.

And offer them quality QB coaching, like we currently have as our OC!

You raise a good point.

Good post - and these portal fellas have been in top level training programs for a while, so you would expect they have grown in strength and conditioning.

There are plenty of great QB’s not starting for one reason or another. You can’t look at a freshman QB as “getting beat out by other guys”

There is only 1 starter and that’s usually an upperclassman.

This is exactly what I hoped would happen for us in the portal. We’re consistently getting SEC level talent looking for better opportunities. Still waiting for an SEC WR though.

The NIL thing torpedoed us or we would all be loving the portal.
Sure. That's not what happened here. It seems an older higher rated guy got beat by a younger lower rated guy.

Ultimately, he gives us another option, which is good.

I never said anything about turning someone away.

What Higgins said was that this is technically the highest rated QB room we've ever had, with three four-star guys.
No, what he said was “Technically, that is the most talented quarterback room that Syracuse has ever had."
My question stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors