Class of 2020 - QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Dan Villari (NY/Michigan) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (1/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the group should be fine
I don't forsee us being able to find a good passing QB this year, maybe next or hell maybe one on the rooster steps up
I think if our young corps of WRs can grow up, our QB who can’t throw will look like he has improved tremendously.

i'm not saying we couldn't us a stud transfer but i believe pickings are slim and we have a qb who can't throw. tough sell.

if we can bring in a passing transfer QB that would help.
Name a passing QB other than Nassib whom had success at SU.

Nunes, RJ and Andrew Robinson all had sophomore passing stats comparable or better than Shrader.

It doesn’t take much for an opposing recruiter to negative recruit against Shrader as a passer.

Nunes, RJ and Andrew Robinson all had sophomore passing stats comparable or better than Shrader.

It doesn’t take much for an opposing recruiter to negative recruit against Shrader as a passer.
That wasn’t my point and didn’t answer the question. GS needs competition, but a passing QB has a low percentage chance of making it here.

I thought Cooper had a good close out of the season and glad he has another year
Alford showed good spots
I liked what Williams and Gadsdens tape showed
Jackson I think might be a good go-to possession guy
I still would love to see what we've done in the past and bring in a Jr/Sr that can be that guy

If he returns, he'd pull off an ultra rare 7th season. He had a redshirt year, a medical redshirt year and a COVID year.

That wasn’t my point and didn’t answer the question. GS needs competition, but a passing QB has a low percentage chance of making it here.
This kind of thinking has calcified here and I don’t think it’s right. I think it’s easier to find guys who can run well and are low % passers. Elite arm talent doesn’t find its way here very often.

Chicken and egg a little IMO

Todd Philcox.

He’s also our 2nd most successful NFL QB, after Donnie.

I often referred to him as Todd PhilSimmsCox, since he resembled Simms in looks, stature, and playing style.

But that might be NSFW. ;)

And also might have given Brett Favre some bad ideas. :p

This kind of thinking has calcified here and I don’t think it’s right. I think it’s easier to find guys who can run well and are low % passers. Elite arm talent doesn’t find its way here very often.

Chicken and egg a little IMO
You have to have consistently deep offensive lines generally speaking to be successful with a pass first QB as they need time to throw and are less likely to avoid sacks. We haven’t done a great job historically having consistently strong O lines so that is also a contributing factor here. The dual threat type helps to counter weaknesses in pass protection.

Last edited:
Not worried about the WRs. Of the 10 scholarship WRs 9 are freshman or sophomores. Come fall they'll have another spring under their belt and an offseason of weight room. They just need some time and reps. Lets hope now we get a great teacher for them. There's no more smurfs. Unit is starting to look the part.

rSO Anthony Queeley 6-2 205
FR Umari Hatcher 6-3 170
FR Kendall Long 6-2 210
SR Devaughn Cooper 5-11 175
WR Trebor Pena 6-0 185
SO Isaiah Jones 6-4 205
FR Damien Alford 6-6 215
rFR Courtney Jackson 5-11 185
FR Ja'Vontae Williams 6-1 210
FR Oronde Gadsden 6-5 210
Yep, I’ve been saying that for a while

You have to have consistently deep offensive lines generally speaking to be successful with a pass first QB as they need time to throw and are less likely to avoid sacks. We haven’t done a great job historically having consistently strong O lines so that is also a contributing factor here. The dual threat type helps to counter weaknesses in pass protection.
I agree somewhat, just don’t think it means we can’t make it work or should avoid pocket passer types. And there are teams like PITT, Wake, NC State that are not *that* much better on the line that have made less mobile QBs work just fine.

It’s a bit of a crutch around here (and reads as nostalgic too)

I agree somewhat, just don’t think it means we can’t make it work or should avoid pocket passer types. And there are teams like PITT, Wake, NC State that are not *that* much better on the line that have made less mobile QBs work just fine.

It’s a bit of a crutch around here (and reads as nostalgic too)
Yeah I don't think we should accept it as a given that pocket passers can't succeed.

That would mean our program is very special at being unsuccessful in a way that's pretty stupid and that we could control.

yep
It has been a few days and I haven't seen any additional tweets from Dan listing more offers. I suspect SU is quietly discussing options with several other QBs in the portal. I wonder if he has set up a visit and is just keeping it on the down low for now?

It has been a few days and I haven't seen any additional tweets from Dan listing more offers. I suspect SU is quietly discussing options with several other QBs in the portal. I wonder if he has set up a visit and is just keeping it on the down low for now?
Hoping he visits this weekend or next. I believe the dead period is ending. We may have some other qbs in the mix. Everything seems to be on the down low.

When does school start? I saw the DB we offered is coming up the 28th.

Hoping he visits this weekend or next. I believe the dead period is ending. We may have some other qbs in the mix. Everything seems to be on the down low.

When does school start? I saw the DB we offered is coming up the 28th.
Classes don't start until January 24th and the Dead Period does end this week, Fri. 1/14

Classes don't start until January 24th and the Dead Period does end this week.
If you want to get to know Dan a little, he is part of a podcast with another Michigan QB. Here is a link to the first episode.

He is proud of his Italian heritage and his Long Island upbringing. He likes penne alla vodka a lot, so he would take to chicken riggies with vodka sauce like a boss. Later in the podcast, he gets compared to Taysom Hill both in terms of playing style and tat coverage.

We are DL U.

The down low, not Freeney, Chandler and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom