Class of 2015 - QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 QB Eric Dungey (OR) Signed LOI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's the right outlook / attitude, given the last sixteen years of general QB futility. We've been down this road before--NUMEROUS times... and as evidenced by my posting, I'm generally one of the more optimistic posters on this forum.

But I've gotten excited about the "stable" of QBs we've had on hand numerous times. The Diesel, Patterson, and Chad Elliot. Andrew R0binson, Catalina, and Legree. Joe Fields. Etc.

The bottom line is that we need ONE of these young QBs to pan out and be an above average playmaker at the collegiate level. Doesn't matter which one. Long, Wilson, Dungey, Womack, Culpepper -- whoever. May the best player win.
It's hard for me not to be optimistic. We have a great group of young men who are good/great athletes, are talented runners/passers, and who have a history of winning, all badly wanting to be the starting qb for SU. I gotta believe that one or more of them are likely to be effective QB's as long as our running game is decent. Of our newcomers, I'm most impressed by Dungey. He comes in physically ready and riding a wave of strong QB play. He could be fun.

DSC_0147_zpsvqczaeyf.jpg
DSC_0153_zpsmiiolsns.jpg
DSC_0152_zpsjqm8fhse.jpg

Yes I am! Busy summer of work and can't wait for the season to start
You know I really like the kid and his enthusiasm for the program, but he is dinged up and I wonder if that is the way his career will be.

You know I really like the kid and his enthusiasm for the program, but he is dinged up and I wonder if that is the way his career will be.
NOW i forgot who were we talking about

NOW i forgot who were we talking about
AJ Long, thought maybe he should switch positions due to lack of size and durability at QB, plus we keep getting more QB's and he is a good athlete and based on what I have heard and seen don't think he would have a problem switching, hard to get reps and momentum at QB. wouldn't have a problem seeing him return kicks, I think the fans would love it.

From a free Skowt article, Ishmael on Dungey:

"I really like the freshman, Eric Dungey. Kenterius ended up moving. I really like Eric Dungey. He’s a good, young guy. He’s confident as well. He came in, not nervous, just like a normal guy. Goes out there and does his job. He’s actually made a couple of great throws in practice."

Nice article, JK.

I always thought it was weird that a kid with Dungey's supposed skill set and athleticism didn't garner interest from west coast schools. I could see Oregon not going after him [they recruit elite prospects], but for him not having an offer from Oregon State and other Pac 12 schools gave me pause.

Glad to see that our coaches have the eye. Dungey looks promising.

Ok, so if Dungey is number 2 this year and sees a little bit of action, he would be the likely starter next year. Culpepper comes in next year and redshirts. That would create two years of separation between the two. Who knows who else we bring in the next couple of years, but things are laying out fairly well.

Nice article, JK.

I always thought it was weird that a kid with Dungey's supposed skill set and athleticism didn't garner interest from west coast schools. I could see Oregon not going after him [they recruit elite prospects], but for him not having an offer from Oregon State and other Pac 12 schools gave me pause.

Glad to see that our coaches have the eye. Dungey looks promising.
It's very perplexing. I'm trying to find a reason he slipped past Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State. Hell, maybe even Boise State. I really believe we got an absolute steal. Size? Check. Smarts? Check. Athleticism? Check. Skills? Check. What am I missing here?

I'm not sure what to root for:

A. Wilson or Long as the 2nd string QB so Dungey still has four seasons to play, or;

B. Dungey gets some reps this season so he slides into the starting role next season with some real game experience.

A. Wilson or Long as the 2nd string QB so Dungey still has four seasons to play, or;

B. Dungey gets some reps this season so he slides into the starting role next season with some real game experience.
I prefer B, because I think that our quarterback recruiting will continue to improve. Particularly if the offense looks good for the next few years, and Dungey getting some reps this year will help to keep the offense going next year.

Dungey to play this year allowing Rex to redshirt (allowing the knee to heal) and create the two years of separation.

It's very perplexing. I'm trying to find a reason he slipped past Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State. Hell, maybe even Boise State. I really believe we got an absolute steal. Size? Check. Smarts? Check. Athleticism? Check. Skills? Check. What am I missing here?
I'm my opinion, smarts (decision making) is what really separates the great ones. I always love to see Ivy's on an offer sheet.

I'd always prefer having a player five years in the program. Let any separation work itself out on the football field.

Nothing, maybe you should've been recruiting for those NW schools.

Oregon St. did offer him.

Oregon St. did offer him.
That's what I thought, but ESPN doesn't show it on his recruiting profile so I wasn't sure. 2 4 7 doesn't show it either, FWIW.

Frozen said:
I'm not sure what to root for: A. Wilson or Long as the 2nd string QB so Dungey still has four seasons to play, or; B. Dungey gets some reps this season so he slides into the starting role next season with some real game experience.

That's a great question... But I'm going with B. We need momentum. W's now will be more helpful to recruiting and perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.