QB for next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QB for next year?

Your comment on limited NIL strikes a chord with me. The way Villari ran the ball, if he has a serviceable arm, which I think he does, it’s not inconceivable to me to have a run heavy attack with some passing to keep teams honest at least in year one. Not saying he will be our starting quarterback, but why not let him compete for it, especially if we are running thin on NIL. Then as our team continues to blossom we could expand that role.
I dont know what they think.. But Run heavy with wildcat is different than run heavy with play action QB.. And Valari got hurt running it last yr what would happen a full yr of that offense?

WIldcat meant teams went heavy and left 0-1 high so very little for the QB to read.

I would think the fact that he didn’t ( absent our situation last year) at 2 schools would be a good indication he can’t play QB at this level.
I mean he was a QB at Michigan and when he first got here. Its not like were just taking some random TE who made a single throw for a TD. He is a former QB thag knows how to play the position.

All of which makes 2 points clear:

I’m glad you’re not on staff making this decision. ;)

We absolutely need to upgrade QB talent & depth via the portal.

No shade at Dan, who is a gifted, versatile athlete, but -
his ceiling is a healthy Shrader, and he’s got a lot less college experience and reps.

Dan is a mismatch nightmare for opponents at TE/wildcat/Swiss Army knife for us - a huge positive.

He’d be, at best, average as a QB.

Why not get a proper, capable, experienced QB,
so that way we can be above average in talent at 2 key positions, rather than average (or worse)?

Plus - Dan’s path to an NFL future is at TE.
Not QB.

Coach - take that portal to Browntown.
Land us a stud QB.
Amen regarding your first point.

Doesn't indicate he can't either.
Besides reading between the lines I had a student teacher from LI with me this fall. He played against him in HS. He said everyone's game plan was to squat in their rush lanes and force him to throw the ball. Its the same game plan I had against Ashton Broyld. Im not discouraging you from having a concept in your head though

Probably. I was to tired to pick up on it. I've been inundated and overworked this week trying to close a deal and trying to keep up with recruiting.
Sit back. Relax. And let your fellow posters do the driving.
I often do.

Waiting on some good news on the QB front. Hopefully McCord is a real opportunity. Even in a run heavy offense, you still need a guy who can throw

Dan practically said this in his own words.
yup. he wants to stay there. not to mention he's lost some flexibility bulking up and can't even make some of the throws he used to (when it was never his strength to begin with). He's most valuable to us in a hybrid TE row and is always a threat to do something else. I have to imagine an OC will love leveraging him in a lot of different ways.

Portal guy TBD. No way in hell they start someone on the current roster. The BC game alone told you all you need to know about CDRW. Davis isn’t remotely ready, and any true freshman we bring in/retain won’t be ready. We need two portal guys as a matter of fact, I am hoping they can sell the Buffalo kid on the chance to compete to be a starter but also bring in a better portal guy who will likely be able to win the job. Assuming they do offer the Buffalo kid this weekend. The kid from Toledo would be amazing but will probably stay in the Midwest for big NIL cash
Finn is visiting Wisconsin this weekend.

Whoever it is that will be our QB1 we can know this; Fran has explicitly said if he wants someone he’s getting them. As in literally anyone.

I’m very confident that not only will we get a decent QB1, but that it will be a stud if the type of offense Fran is installing demand it. Though since he said we’re going to be running the ball successfully, I’m not sure we’re going to need an elite portal grab.

Villari has emerged as one of my favorite players on this team, second only to LeQuint and Caleb. I really hope he starts as QB1 for the bowl game, but I doubt he will be QB1 next season.
Villari embodies everything I hope for in a football player.

Whoever it is that will be our QB1 we can know this; Fran has explicitly said if he wants someone he’s getting them. As in literally anyone.

I’m very confident that not only will we get a decent QB1, but that it will be a stud if the type of offense Fran is installing demand it. Though since he said we’re going to be running the ball successfully, I’m not sure we’re going to need an elite portal grab.
Let's just enjoy the incredible improvement so far, but let's not go overboard. He literally can not recruit every top player at every position so let's chalk that over the top statement as hyperbole. And the fact he mentioned running the ball, he also mentioned he's running any offense they can't stop. Meaning in the modern college game you have to have a very multiple set offense able to pass to be able to run the ball. And vice versa.
So if he wants to be successful and be able to successfully recruit anyone he wants, he'll want a very good QB, and we should too. He's not recruiting J.Hornsby, E.Ross, J.Tremble, Haile, and trying to keep OG with the sales pitch about running the ball and having fun blocking for Allen and Willis.

Last edited:
I am hoping Steve Angeli puts his name in the portal. Very good young QB out of Bergen Catholic that chose ND. Has seen them sign Hartman last year, and now this year, they are super active pursuing vet QBs again this cycle and might be the favorite to land RIley Leonard (though OSU is apparently getting involved now).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom