QB is a three horse race next season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB is a three horse race next season

agree - having Loeb return next year is the perfect excuse to let the true frosh redshirt without burning their eligibility. You hand the offense, which will be in very good hands at RB over to a mature and experienced caretaker for a year while allowing all of your talented but young underclassmen to spend another year in the system getting bigger and learning.

Disappointed that Bnoro gives Hunt such a low probability - even less than one true frosh - I had really high hopes for him and hoped he would pan out. Would be great to have a star QB from NYC to really grab more attention down there.

As for Allen, I think he's the future, but the Joe Fields debacle has me nervous about starting a true frosh. I realize that by all accounts Allen is leaps and bounds better than Fields as a QB, but still.

I am curious what makes you think that Allen is "leaps and bounds" better than Fields? With my usual disclaimer about the recruiting rankings Fields was more highly regarded coming in than Allen as of this point. Fields was a 3* vs Allen as a 2*, Fields was the #44 ranked QB in his class whereas Allen is currently #78, and Fields was the #6 QB out of Texas his year and Allen is the 11th ranked QB in Texas this season. My guess is you are basing this on 1 - maybe you've actually seen Allen due to the broader media attention, or 2 - You are judging Fields based upon how you know he performed once he got to SU. I really love everything I've heard about Allen but I think it is very premature for anyone, even someone on the coaching staff, to have any idea that Allen will either start, backup, redshirt or even be the best freshman QB next year. I hope he is the diamond in the rough that Marrone has been looking for ever since he got here. But since some occasionally knowledgeable people think there are 77 better high school senior QB's this season I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Let's nto forget that Kinder, Hunt and Broyld were all more highly rated than Allen. The biggest difference so far is that the coaches have actually seen them practice and some of us have seen them practice and play in a scrimmage or 2. I guess this is my longwinded way to say the job is Loeb's to lose and if ANY of the other QB's beat him out that will be a good thing because I think Loeb is a safe choice. I'd love to see another QB win the job so we are not right back in this same position next year saying the same things about another unknown commodity at QB.

This thread reminds me that many posters on the B-ball side had Jerami Grant taking a red-shirt because we had 3 returning forwards, or based on their analysis of what Jerami did in high school. Turns out that Jerami could compete and play.

All as a preamble to saying I don't put a lot of weight in guesses about how AB will do as a QB (easily the best runner of the bunch), or Hunt, or how ready Allen is as a true frosh. Won't really know until scrimmages in the Spring.

It will be Loeb. He's looked good in the last two spring games (apparently) and I like his speed and athleticism. He might have a rough first two or three games, but he'll likely get better as the season goes along.

It will be Loeb. He's looked good in the last two spring games (apparently) and I like his speed and athleticism. He might have a rough first two or three games, but he'll likely get better as the season goes along.
This is my worst fear. We can't really afford to be developing a 5th year SR QB 3 games into next season. This puts a lot of pressure on Loeb because he really isn't experienced, he's just been here long enough to know the playbook better than anyone else. If our QB is goign to struggle I'd rather it be a younger QB so that once he developes he isn't on his way out the door a few games later.

If it is Loeb, I think he will be fine. Everyone says he is very accurate and a pretty good runner. If true those things and knowing the offense could make him a pleasant surprise. He may be just what then program needs to bridge the gap.

agree - having Loeb return next year is the perfect excuse to let the true frosh redshirt without burning their eligibility. You hand the offense, which will be in very good hands at RB over to a mature and experienced caretaker for a year while allowing all of your talented but young underclassmen spend another year in the system getting bigger and learning.

Disappointed that Bnoro gives Hunt such a low probability - even less than one true frosh - I had really high hopes for him and hoped he would pan out. Would be great to have a star QB from NYC to really grab more attention down there.
Don't get me wrong, I think there's a chance he makes this closer than my odds. But his arrest was the worst thing that he could have done in terms of his development with the offense. We'll see what happens during these extra practices/the spring but I think Loeb is the guy for transition to ZA

Loeb should have the best command of the playbook and that will be critical next season. However, the other understudies have similar practice experience. The only one with real game experience is Broyld though it's not a ton. He's been learning the RB, WR and likely some QB plays. I personally don't think that Broyld's learning various positions other than QB is an indication that he is not being considered for the QB position. Marrone has basically said that...and that him getting on the field is an indication that he's too good to leave off. So, are people who are saying Broyld has virtually no chance to play QB next year insiders who believe Marrone is just coach-speaking to the press?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom