Class of 2021 - QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worries me about him is the baggage with his Dad... rumors that OSU staff had had enough and why they essentially told him he was out as starter/pushed him to portal, there was supposedly disqueiet in the lockeroom with him, and even that the Nebraska transfer move broke down because of his old man...

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all...

Here's hoping that if Fran sees any such red flags, we say thanks, but no thx. We don't need any of that, especially for a 1-year transfer that would likely cost us $1mil+ in NIL.

Trust in Fran.
Could be true about the dad...but also many of his teammates have come out and been supportive. Many thought he was treated very unfairly after the Michigan loss.

I think this is true. Let’s start a discussion on how good McCord really is.

I’ve watched him play. Not a lot, but a little. I think he’s serviceable. And I don’t mean that in a negative, backhanded way. I think he’s good, certainly an improvement over what we have. I’m just not sure how good he is.

It cannot be underestimated what throwing to those receivers at OSU behind a stout oline can do for a QB. How would he have looked this year had he been in our offense, for instance?

I’m not taking anything away from the kid, I truly don’t know. Again, having watched him a bit, I think he’s good. He no doubt can make throws, which is a lot more than we’ve had lately.

I guess the question is, is he a difference maker? If so, how much? If not, what does he need to be one? A dominant oline? What are our chances that we can field what he needs to make a difference?
I think we can’t say what would McCord look like here while Fran is still building that out. It’s probably right to temper expectations around OL. No one has a Marvin Harrison Jr on their roster next year, but our WR will be much improved. We were a .500 team with our current OL.

This team will look wildly different next year and I would bet McCord and the upgraded talent will make a huge difference - even if he isn’t as good as he was with the tools at Ohio St.

Dude he started for Ohio State end of discussion
I remember when Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman in the fun n’ gun at Florida. How good was he really? Just because someone is tossing the ball to Marvin Jr doesn’t make him a great QB.

I’m not saying he’s not either, but I’m looking for a little more analysis than he played at Ohio State.

I remember when Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman in the fun n’ gun at Florida. How good was he really? Just because someone is tossing the ball to Marvin Jr doesn’t make him a great QB.

I’m not saying he’s not either, but I’m looking for a little more analysis than he played at Ohio State.

you can probably go watch all their games on youtube.

Would you rather have the Snyder kid from UB - he played behind a craptastic OLine so maybe he's better suited?

If McCord can throw an accurate forward pass then he's a difference maker.

Ohio State allowed 19 sacks this season 1.58 per game

Syracuse allowed 28 sacks. 2.33 per game

There were numerous times our QB had time to throw and didn't pull the trigger. Whether our kids couldn't get open or the route tree sucked I don't know. Probably a combination. Shrader also bailed out early a lot, or went east west instead of stepping up in the pocket, and sometimes didn't throw it because he liked guys to be wide open.

Bees showed a few times from PFF that our OLine gave X number of seconds of protection and if I recall correctly it wasn't too far jacked from the average. I'd like to see that number again.

All this team ever needed to do was improve the line play and the team would've taken off. We'll have 7 or 8 kids a year older with new schemes, new teaching voice, new technique, new fundamentals, new WRs and new patterns. McCord is either going to be Nassib or Andrew Robinson. Good thing our schedule doesn't really feature scary defenses.
The only thing I'd add to the 28 sacks total is, we exclusively ran the ball the last quarter of the season. Had we continued to run the same offense, we might have allowed closer to 40 sacks. From my vantage point, I never saw receivers running open. With the ones we have recruited, I think that changes.

Could be true about the dad...but also many of his teammates have come out and been supportive. Many thought he was treated very unfairly after the Michigan loss.

Yeah, I also got the sense the fanbase made him a scapegoat (and needed one) for the Michigan loss and that the staff had to move on as the fanbase weren't going accept another year of him.

It's hard to relate to that, but the OSU fanbase certainly has more power over how their program operates than we are used to.

And the team was undefeated and it was a HUGE loss to a perrenial rival.

Bridges burned.

Irrational or not.

Last edited:
What worries me about him is the baggage with his Dad... rumors that OSU staff had had enough and why they essentially told him he was out as starter/pushed him to portal, there was supposedly disqueiet in the lockeroom with him, and even that the Nebraska transfer move broke down because of his old man...

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all... Hopefully just interwebs BS...

Here's hoping that if Fran sees any such red flags, we say thanks, but no thx. We don't need any of that, especially for a 1-year transfer that would likely cost us $1mil+ in NIL.

Trust in Fran.
Maybe dad was too much Jersey for those Midwestern folks to handle

Watch the tape. He’s got the arm to make all of the throws, fits it in tight windows. Tommy Cutlets was the last guy on our roster with that kind of arm talent. And by all accounts, our skill positions will be better and able to help in ways Tommy didn’t have.

The only thing I'd add to the 28 sacks total is, we exclusively ran the ball the last quarter of the season. Had we continued to run the same offense, we might have allowed closer to 40 sacks. From my vantage point, I never saw receivers running open. With the ones we have recruited, I think that changes.
The first half of the season up through Clemson we had guys running open.. Clemson not as much.. From then on Shrader couldnt throw and teams pressed the WRs even more and the QBs had less time. . The BC game we had plenty of time and open guys just made bad passes.. The last few games guys were wide open just a different scheme so it means less.

He was 3rd in the Big Ten in PFF grade and 2nd in QBR. That's pretty good for first season as a starter. Usually college QB's have their greatest growth between year one and year two starting. The biggest criticism I have seen against him is he sometimes does not pull the trigger when plays may be there. He'd certainly be the best passer we have had in quite some time.

Even in the Michigan game which people have seemed to criticize him for he put up nearly the identical stat line that Stroud had last year.
We will most definitely have a better running game, better receivers, and a better defense. I am extremely happy with an Ohio State quarterback who only lost one game last year.

We are light years better In terms of recruiting and it’s an extremely exciting time to be Orange. Maybe not for my wife who is not getting much attention these days

you can probably go watch all their games on youtube.
Or I could discuss it on a discussion board. Come on guys, I’m just trying to spur some thought instead of just spewing hyperbole. I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Like I said, I’ve watched him. Of course he’s an upgrade. And, yeah, we’re an incomplete team, so it’s hard to gauge impact. But breaking him down is a good way to pass time while we wait for the outcome of his visit.

Sounds like Devito+... McCord's old man drove the OSU staff batty evidently, if the rumors are to be believed.
That’s interesting anything more specific on those rumors ?

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all... Hopefully just interwebs BS...
Yeah, fair enough for concern but at the same time, we don't know how the OSU staff communicated with Dad and how they treated his son - there have also been rumors that some of that treatment was unfair. There are always two sides to things like that. Then we have a rumour spewed out about Rhule maybe saying no to McCord. Sounds like there is a lot of CYA going on here, including OSU fans. Screw all that - this is huge.

Last edited:
If I were coach Fran I would point out the schedule to McCord for next year. OOC vs UConn, Holy Cross, Ohio and Army. In conference no Clemson, FSU or LVille. Chance to put up some big #'s.

Trust in Fran.
As a fan base, we are uniquely qualified to deal with this.

Trust in Fran.
I'd rather worry about this than worry about if a kid is talented enough.

We are talking a former top 50 overall recruit and top 5 QB that started for a factory.

IMG_6356.jpeg
☠️☠️☠️ Dead ☠️☠️☠️

Attachments

• IMG_6356.jpeg
    IMG_6356.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member