Class of 2021 - QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This McCord talk is beginning to feel a lot like Dan Mullen.
sam elliott the big lebwoski GIF

Just because I like throwing out wild predictions, I think our starting QB next season (unless he completely face plants in his bowl game) will be Angeli from Notre Dame.

Was a quality croot, has the NJ connection (Bergen Catholic), ND isn't going to go with an unproven commodity at QB in this era and they just got a commit from Riley Leonard so Angeli'll be looking for an opportunity.

Help me manifest this.
You don't want the kid to play too well in the bowl game

I’m not sure McCord is going to take any more visits after Nebraska

Could be wrong but don’t think we’re in the running here

I disagree. I think he definitely planned on Nebraska. But a potential 5 Star QB Georgia to Nebraska flip may have thrown a wrench in his plans. At the very least i think he will look at other options to make sure he sees the field and doesnt get a younger QB being pushed for by the fans.

And I do think the media is trying to force the commitment of McCord to Nebraska a little bit. Like yesterday i saw a headline that read "Ohio State QB ready to Transfer to fellow Big10 School". Like a visit doesnt mean he is ready to commit. Its a sign of a potential destination but that doesnt mean its 100% where he will end up.

Also seems like Nebraska and their fans are trying to get greedy and think both are 100% gonna happen.

I watched a lot of their games. He was a first year starter. He wasn't elite by any means. But a lot of the judgement made on his ability was in reference to a playoff type of team and comparing him to previous QB's they have had. 2016 and 2017 JT Barret. 2018 Dwayne Haskins. 2019 and 2020 Justin Fields. 2021 and 2022 CJ Stroud.

I wouldn't think 500K would be the number as he wasn't a great QB. He was good though. He isn't a QB leaving because he was great and on a bad team and wanted to improve his team situation. He is good and on a great team and unsure if he will start next year. I think and hope we can get him for less than 500K.

I'm excited to see who the staff picks up for QB and McCord or the like would be nice along with at least 1 more.

I don't have a clue about the $ stuff and I liked what I saw on the most part with the OL in the last 3 games, especially if Wholly comes back healthy.

Was that in reference strictly to QB's or any position? Because they just took that Georgia WR with one year of eligibility left and nothing about his college career to date screams "guy going to the NFL."
I could be wrong but my impression was that they were referring to portal transfer players with one-year left that they had to give NiL money too.

Wisconsin got Van Dyke so I'm gonna assume DeQuan Finn isn't going there now. I hope we're in touch but not sure anyone on the current staff has any connections to a kid from Michigan or not. There's not much information about who is going after him for some reason.

I'm excited to see who the staff picks up for QB and McCord or the like would be nice along with at least 1 more.

I don't have a clue about the $ stuff and I liked what I saw on the most part with the OL in the last 3 games, especially if Wholly comes back healthy.
Pass blocking was not ideal for much of the season though. Definitely appeared to be better run blockers in the new scheme of the last 3 games for whatever reason. Maybe partially because Joe Cruz was playing Guard?

Last edited:
Joe Cruz. Jose retired from the Astros a while ago... ;)
I was thinking Joe but my brain transfering info to my fingers didn't work.

Hey Jose is basically Joe in Spanish. ;)

I watched a lot of their games. He was a first year starter. He wasn't elite by any means. But a lot of the judgement made on his ability was in reference to a playoff type of team and comparing him to previous QB's they have had. 2016 and 2017 JT Barret. 2018 Dwayne Haskins. 2019 and 2020 Justin Fields. 2021 and 2022 CJ Stroud.

I wouldn't think 500K would be the number as he wasn't a great QB. He was good though. He isn't a QB leaving because he was great and on a bad team and wanted to improve his team situation. He is good and on a great team and unsure if he will start next year. I think and hope we can get him for less than 500K.

Good summary.

I'll add that he played with Marvin Harrison, Jr. in high school, which may have inflated his overall ratings coming out of high school.

Good not great, but solid. Not especially mobile, and hangs onto the ball a little too long. Played with / behind elite talent at OSU.

Not suggesting that the aforementioned point makes him a good nor bad candidate for here, just listing out some observations.

I'm skeptical we are going to add a Martin type plug and play OL...They're going to have to coach up what we have. The good news is there's a decent foundation with a lot of experience. But a guy like CruzJr regressed, he needs to be built back up.
We should get Wohlabaugh back who was looking like the best OT we had until the unfortunate injury vs WMU. Inserting him there with an improved Cruz, and the IOL like More, Reed, Ellis/Joe Cruz/Bradford/Player to be named later, and that’s a pretty respectable line. If only they stop with false starts it would be an improvement over last year. Especially if we plan to concentrate on the run. There has to be a plan A outside of the UB guy. All the top portal QB’s are already snagged up. I don’t think our HS recruit will be ready unless he’s Eric Dungey, and even still we still need depth. There was a New Hampshire QB still available. Maybe we take a swing at him, but some options should present themselves sooner or later….At least I hope.

I’m probably missing something obvious here but can someone explain how he has 2 years of eligibility left? He played in 5 regular season games in 2021, 7 in 2022, & 12 this year.

I’m probably missing something obvious here but can someone explain how he has 2 years of eligibility left? He played in 5 regular season games in 2021, 7 in 2022, & 12 this year.
When was the covid year? '21?

I thought it was 2020 for Fall sports?
You are correct. I don't see how he could have two years left. I guess he has two years left to play 1 as he hasn't redshirted. So he basically has 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom