QB Question | Syracusefan.com

QB Question

AngryOtto

All Conference
I have a question for people that are more knowledgeable on qb play.

It seems that the backup qb style of play changes once they are deemed a starter. I remember when Morgan was initially put in when the starter was injured he would roll out of the pocket and make throws on the run. Once he started the Louisville game it seemed he stopped rolling out and continued to try to throw from the pocket. Until he got knocked out.
It seems to be the same situation with CDRW. In the prior games he would roll out and throw on the run. Today it seemed like he wanted to stay in the pocket. Even when he scrambled a couple times he ran back into a collapsing pocket.
I could be wrong about my observations. However if correct. Is this more that the staff wants them to stay in the pocket and pass or that defenses are preventing the qb from rolling out?
Just seems keeping them in the pocket is limiting their effectiveness and play making when the pocket collapses.
Curious if anyone made the same observations or has a thought on the subject.

Teams have a chance to game plan it’s a totally different story unless you are an actual player

The line was horrible as were the WRs. CRDW did OK he didn't really make that one big mistake that is why I give him an OK and allowed us to hang in there. This is the worst the WRs looked all year though they just didn't even try to get open. The line sucked too.

We played a good team on the road they absolutely dominated the trenches and a couple gift turnovers kept the score respectable. I'm not sure we win that even with a healthy Schrader but it is concerning that Gadsden looks like he wants to quit the freaking program now there is a different QB.

Did we see any RPO today? CDRW is a good athlete. Why no RPO?

CDRW was QB1 today and I heard McPhail was QB2. MacPhail is a walk-on. I don’t know what’s up with Morgan. But if the is I’d true, I suspect we didn’t run any RPO to limit the chances of CDRW of getting injured running the ball.

Unfortunately this also made us easy for Pitt to key on Tucker and shut him down. 19 yards on ten carries. Wow, that’s bad. Add in the six sacks and the numerous hurries or pressures and the OL had a terrible day. Time for some soul searching up front.

CDRW does seem to spread the ball around more, in part, because those other WR’s (Adams, Peña, Hatcher and Alford) are guys he has worked with this season while working with the second team.

Regardless of who the QB is we need to run the full offense in order to have any hope of moving the ball.

Just my two cents.

Did we see any RPO today? CDRW is a good athlete. Why no RPO?

CDRW was QB1 today and I heard McPhail was QB2. MacPhail is a walk-on. I don’t know what’s up with Morgan. But if the is I’d true, I suspect we didn’t run any RPO to limit the chances of CDRW of getting injured running the ball.

Unfortunately this also made us easy for Pitt to key on Tucker and shut him down. 19 yards on ten carries. Wow, that’s bad. Add in the six sacks and the numerous hurries or pressures and the OL had a terrible day. Time for some soul searching up front.

CDRW does seem to spread the ball around more, in part, because those other WR’s (Adams, Peña, Hatcher and Alford) are guys he has worked with this season while working with the second team.

Regardless of who the QB is we need to run the full offense in order to have any hope of moving the ball.

Just my two cents.
If MacPhail was QB2 Morgan was on his death bed or left the team

im thinking we need better oline and dline period. It’s pretty tough to watch. Yeah our receivers didn’t get much separation but Wilson was not even close on some of his passes. Tucker should be sitting for a game or two too recover and 47 should never play a third down along with cooper again. He goes off sides like it’s his job and cooper doesn’t catch the ball on third.

im thinking we need better oline and dline period.
Syracuse Football Issues, Listed in Order/Priority:
  1. O-Line - For all our young fans, get used to this problem
  2. WR corps - Outside of Gadsden, they're like baby dear on ice trying to get open against polar bears.
  3. TE Group: This void that is running on 3 decades (sans upper classman Nick Provo)
  4. O-Line - see #1. It is THE issue that will ALWAYS hold us back. Have to recruit better than Pitt & BC.
  5. Punter - Confident this will be fixed. Might not be until next season. Young players.

9. November Ls- Narrative lives. Depth = improved. Now we can compete(!). Legit progress. Need to win.
11. Winning road games against P5 schools. This is tough for everyone, but need traction on this front.
16. CD-RW - He didn't play well at Pitt, but he really had very little chance. Don't jump to conclusions.
20. Defensive line - Admire the hell out of this group. I was not a Darton person entering '22. I am now.
26. Play calling/Anae - He had NO chance @Pitt. One bad call: goal line early. But that's due to #1 above.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom